Home > General > Low mileage is better for the 4.4TDV8 & 5.0SC
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black
Low mileage is better for the 4.4TDV8 & 5.0SC

Hi,

With cars between 3 & 5 years old are there any potential pitfalls where either variant has done low miles (below 30k) or is it better to look at those with a bit more legs that have had the blood pumping through the arteries in the first few years, eg examples with 60k miles plus.

Thanks

Thumbs Up

Post #329334 25th May 2015 6:50am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Personally, I've had more issues with low mileage cars over the years than those that have done average (10-12,000 a year) or high miles, I think they need to be used regularly.

It can take up to 50 miles for an engine to become fully warm and stabilise, low mileage cars will have done short trips with maximum wear and seldom had the chance to get fully warm...

Also if it has a DPF then they seem to get blocked on low mileage cars...

Just my 2p worth.... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #329356 25th May 2015 10:52am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

I agree with Pete, low mileage cars are usually used for short runs (not all some are used for longer weekend trips) and especially the diesels don't like it because they take longer to heat up (well used to, not sure about a TDV8 though) and the DPF is a problem on some of them as you notice here.

For low mileage I'd rather go petrol than diesel for those reasons, apart from the (slightly ??) lower reliability of the TDV8 engines (turbos, EGRs etc.) that the 5.0 (SC) doesn't have. But if you are keen on the 8 speed then of course the TDV8 is your only pick.

But stay in the SC club mate, the 5.0 is a blast Smile. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #329363 25th May 2015 11:36am
SKOT

England 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Bonatti Grey

ebajema wrote:
But if you are keen on the 8 speed

But do not buy the 8 speed on the basis that "8 is better than 6" - A friend of mine has just gone from the 6 speed auto to the 8 and he hates it; he claims it hunts around the gearbox much more and is far less settled and content than the old 6 was. That said, many here love the 8 so it's all down to personal opinion.

A lower mileage 5.0 would tick my box every time! Thumbs Up 2006 4.2 SC
2019 Renault Zoe Dynamique Nav

Post #329367 25th May 2015 11:56am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

Average mileage are easiest to sell/resell as they do not look expensive as the low mileage cars do. I would suggest average mileage as the best compromise.

Post #329369 25th May 2015 12:02pm
pld118

Thanks all Thumbs Up

Post #329374 25th May 2015 12:14pm
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

So keep us posted on the search mate Smile MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #329379 25th May 2015 12:44pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Low mileage or short trips will be a devil to a Diesel engine. They need a decent trip at least once a month as they get upto temp and can flush themselves.
Egr
Dpf
Turbos

The list goes on for diesel issues never mind the slight design fault with he oil supply to the turbos that's had to be botched after they hit the road.

Petrol for lower mileage/shorter trips and diesels for those who do decent miles or long trips but infrequently Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #329387 25th May 2015 2:21pm
pld118

A car consistently in service could do anything between 10 and 20k miles/ year. Fuel consumption not an issue. Longevity, reliability and enjoyment are the 3 prerequisites... RSE might be the 4th Wink

Thumbs Up

Post #329390 25th May 2015 3:30pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Depends on the consistency. Could be consistently every weekend to the shops and back or every day on the school run and then yoga and back Wink

I have an ff that was parked for 9months but despite that is on 152k which is on a 2005 plate so works out at 15k a year but in the last 3-4years has done 30k and the owner before that put 124k on it from 2005-2012 because they lived in the sticks so easily added 10-20miles just by going to the shops! FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #329396 25th May 2015 4:52pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

I love the phrase, 'motorway miles' which a dealer will tell you the previous owner did, to amass the higher than typical mileage shown on the clock. ' ...Caring for his elderly mother in a distant nursing home, he went back and forth, down the local motorway, regular as clockwork...she died recently, so he doesn't need it anymore.....' Perhaps the opposite, would be 'church miles' - 'He was a member of the clergy, he rang the bells on alternate Sunday's, when it was his turn. The other Sunday was spent deep cleaning his pride and joy'

Yawn Surprised

Post #329401 25th May 2015 6:36pm
Zirconblue

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

You can usually tell if a car has done a lot of motorway miles though. There will usually be a fairly large amount of peppering of the paint work at the front end, even if this has been repainted the windscreen and front lights will usually show a fair amount of peppering.

Vehicles just used around town or on A roads don't tend to suffer the same sort of damage. Though mechanically they can be worse off.

Being laid up for long periods is far worse for a car.

Post #329408 25th May 2015 8:34pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

It's the age old question Ryan, age/mileage/condition. Mine does 10k pa but a lot of that is done on longer trips onto the continent or towing the van for a couple of hours. Probabably leaves the drive once or twice a week apart from that. The rest of my mileage is done in the disco!

So when i bought it a 4y.o on 47,000 it was higher mileage, now it's coming up to 7.5 y.o and its on 76,000.

I would always favour a slightly higher mileage rather than a car which has been standing. my disco is a different case in point though, higher mileage, mint condition toy salesman car, FLRSH, 3 months in and it needed a new dm flywheel, just had to have a new condenser, and will need a few new ball joints soon! So far all done under an aftermarket warranty but for a 60 plate car it shouldn't need any work imho!

Sometimes the theory works sometimes it doesnt! There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #329410 25th May 2015 8:41pm
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

Our 4.4 AB has just turned over 9,500 miles and has just had it's 3 year service and 1st MOT.

It lives in the garage and only comes out when going away for the weekend. It never does a journey of less then a couple of hundred miles.

As it sits stationary for long periods it's always warmed up very gently for the first 10 or 15 miles and then given a bit of a poke to clear it out. It's occasionally started and moved out of the garage for a wash and then put away again but you can count the number of times it's done that on one hand.

We've never had any problems with it smoking, or suffering from sitting. Cars that sit outdoors in the sun are a different story, the paint can fade, tyres perish, brakes corrode, etc.

The SC is used as a weekend car for trips out for the day or going into Glasgow if we're going out for dinner of an evening. It tends to do a minimum of 20 miles when started as well which gives everything a chance to warm through as well. It's only doing about 3,800 miles in the last 12 months. It's also kept indoors which makes a big difference.

Low mileage cars can be the best cars you can buy, but as above, they can also be the worst. It entirely depends upon what they're used for. Smile

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #329420 25th May 2015 9:28pm
Zirconblue

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

Car's (in general) that stand for long periods tend to suffer more with rubber seals and hoses failing after a few years, brake calipers and cylinders start sticking too. Just look at the number of post on here about High/Low range motors getting stuck through lack of use.

But yes being in a climate controlled garage tends to be better than leaving them to bake in the sun or rot under a damp tarpaulin.
Never driving them in the rain and if you do, make sure you park them outside to air out and dry for a few days before parking them inside means they'll never rot - not so much of a problem on modern cars.

In truth though, with most second hand cars you really don't know the precise history, if a car has been used infrequently then you've no real way of knowing where most of them have been kept.

Post #329422 25th May 2015 10:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>