Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Front left suspension hissing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tony1kenobee

England 2003 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver
Front left suspension hissing

Hi , as per title I have a hissing noise coming from the front left air suspension. The pump is working fine but the left side dips lower than the right. Obviously I have a problem but no idea what it is .Can someone enlighten me as to how to repair this or do I need a replacement .regards in advance

Post #330192 31st May 2015 11:35am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

stick it in off road mode and spray soapy water onto the airbag, you'll soon find out if the bag has a hole or not. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #330193 31st May 2015 11:38am
tony1kenobee

I have a hole after doing what you have said.what a bummer. Sad .can I replace the bag or do I need the whole strut. It's a 2003 4.4 v8 l322. Again thanks

Post #330196 31st May 2015 11:55am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

here's a great how to by joe90 [tim]..i believe its best to replace both fronts at the same time.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #330205 31st May 2015 12:24pm
tony1kenobee

Many thanks .thats a few schillings that. Guess I'll be back on overtime for a week lol

Post #330209 31st May 2015 12:30pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

As Stan says. The struts consist of the bag and the shock absorber, so best to do both as you really need matching shockers.

I did my 2 after getting a bag leak on the front left. I went with Delphi struts from Dan at Duckworths. Worth the bit extra over the Dunlops as some have reported a knocking noise / clunk with those.....

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #330217 31st May 2015 1:35pm
jambo27

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

I feel your pain ! I have recently had to replace front struts as one burst (which was an experience while driving down the road). As mentioned it is best to replace in pairs. I got mine from island4x4 and i think they were around £260 each for Delphi ones to fit my 2008 supercharger although I think the pre 2006 ones may be cheaper around £200.

So bad news is they cost but good news is this is a relatively easy DIY job - if you can jack the car up and remove the wheel to be honest you are halfway there. Deflate and then disable your airsuspension with an IID tool first or if you don't have the tool then at least disconnect the battery and leave a door open to lock the suspension out. There are two bug bolts that mount the strut behind the wheel - i recommend locating these and spraying them with lots of WD40 because they will most likely have become solid. The nuts will probably come off quite easily but it tends to be the bolt shaft that has siezed in place. One side wasn't too bad but the other one was very solid. I ended up putting the nut back on to protect the thread and hitting it with a big hammer until it freed up. There is also a bolt connecting the strut to the roll bar that needs removing. Remember to move the brake lines and brake wear sensor cables off the strut - they are just held by rubber bungs and push out quite easily. Then undo the 3 bolts at the suspension turret under the bonnet. It helps to have another person now to hold the strut as it will drop down once the bolts are undone. Gently lower the strut until you can see the airline connected to the strut and undo the nut holding it to the strut. Then gentle lift the strut up, pull towards you and down and it should come out.
Refitting is the more or less the reverse procdure although I found it easier to connect the air line and then try and put one of the big bolts through the strut first before putting the nuts on the top of the turret but that was just easier for me. When you do put the turret bolts on just put them in lose first until you get the lower bolts in this allows some wiggle movement to line things up.

Other points for refitting. Sometimes the struts come with a new nut and sleeve for the airline. People dont recommend changing that on the airline unless there is a problem with the original one because you will never get as tight a seal as on the original. Also when you refit the airline the torque on the nut is very low like 7-8 lbft low so probably as tight as you can get with your fingers.
Before you put the big bolts back in give them a brush with a wire brush to remove old rust and I have gave mine a healthy coat of copper grease to prevent siezure again (not that I intend to replace my struts again i hope).
Give the rubber bungs on the brake lines and brake wear cable a little spray with WD40 as this helps slide them back into the clip.

Put the wheel back on and your good to go. Reactivate the suspension with the IID tool and then select off road height so it reinflates the suspension. Turn the sterring from full left lock to full right lock a couple of times to reset everything and then stand back and congratulate yourself.

First side took about 1.5 hours due to sticking bolt but other side was 40 mins start to finish including break for a brew. 2008 TDV8

Post #330511 2nd Jun 2015 7:32am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

Don't feel too bad about it, it is very likely the other bag is almost as bad just not leaking yet. Also they have probably been on the car for a very long time and the shocks are also due a change by now. Just see it as normal maintenance. Island 4x4 is where I got my struts from (they were the cheapest at the time) and brilliant service (they arranged for courier shipment to Nigeria and picked a good courier as the struts arrived in days). MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #330565 2nd Jun 2015 12:32pm
Stephen.125

2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

As above, it's a pain, but if one failed the other probably won't be far behind. usually the nearside gets more hammer with the grit and S*** flying up from the gutter/verges etc.

Jambo's guide is spot on. When I did mine the hub bolts were really well seized in there. I'd almost suggest buying 4 new ones so you can be as cavalier as you need to be with the Ball Pein Laughing

Post #330575 2nd Jun 2015 1:11pm
Zirconblue

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

and the 'good' one from the other side can go on ebay.

Post #330620 2nd Jun 2015 5:50pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I would definitely get new bolts, their not much money and the originals may snap when you take them off....

Ask me how I know Whistle Whistle Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #330632 2nd Jun 2015 6:55pm
tony1kenobee

Thanks for all your input guys. I've taken to replacing just the one and hope for the best. I am up for upgrading very soon ,so don't want to go too mad .looking for a part exchange for it . Not sure if I'm going for a range, might go for (if I'm allowed to say this) a disco . I'm off on my hols next week so will sort out then. Again many thanks for your replies and all the valuable info .cheers tony

Post #330660 2nd Jun 2015 9:18pm
tony1kenobee

Finally had my air suspension done a couple of weeks ago. There was a nice hole in it. Anyways got up this morning and blow me the new one has gone as well . I bought it on the bay of flea. What chance have I got of getting my cash back or do you think they will say its wear and tear. Any ideas. Also I'm looking for a second hand one now . Left side l322 2003.
Any help as to get a used one would be great other than the bay of flea. Cheers in advance

Post #337963 19th Jul 2015 1:56pm
SKOT

England 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Bonatti Grey

For my 2Ps worth..............Either:

1) Ride the pain, put 2 x new Delphi struts with bags on. If you are selling in the future add it to your sales pitch.
2) Drive it to the auction, declare the fault and take whatever it makes on the day.

Fitting used bits and bobs is a total false economy - I've done it so often myself and it nearly always comes back to bite tou somewhere along the line.

When my NSF strut went, I replaced both with Delphi and eBayed the OSF "good" one. I was very honest about it being used, someone still turned up at my door with £50 which came off the total bill. It can't be you that bought it as this was a good 12+ months ago! Thumbs Up

Good luck with whatever you decide...... 2006 4.2 SC
2019 Renault Zoe Dynamique Nav

Post #337982 19th Jul 2015 4:09pm
Meerbusch

United Kingdom 

@SKOT, exactly the best way! Only NEW and BOTH from Delphi, and NOT!!!!! from the cheap-waste-company Dunlop!
Rgs from Düsseldorf, Uli TDV8 4.4 from 2012, 278.000km like new + Lancia Flavia Coupe 1964 + RRS L494 3.0 SDV6 + C220CDI Convertible 2021

Post #338088 20th Jul 2015 7:49am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1