Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > Murdered out TD6 from New Zealand - Something different...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
andy.cliff

New Zealand 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Buckingham Blue

Thanks for the kind words Strider. Much appreciated Thumbs Up

For anyone wondering what to do with the dash problem resulting from an aftermarket headunit. Here was my alternative solution for the inability of setting/changing the dash display.

I removed the dash speaker and zip tied the original connection into the dash, close to the opening. From here, if you wish to change the clock (daylight saving) or reset the mpg data, you simply put the original unit on top of the dash, plug it in, do your business and then take it away again Cool Easy!

I also filled up next to an original spec V8 version of my wagon over the weekend. Its fair to say im happy with how it looks now Whistle I was also happy (felt sad for the other owner) the comparison in $$$/consumption between the V8 and the diesel!!! How can you lads afford to run those V8's?!?!

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Kiwi lad - Range Rover TD6 L322
Murdered out crew

Dual switchback halo's
20x9.5 TSW's
More to come...

Post #333814 21st Jun 2015 10:38pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Don't start that debate again... Rolling Eyes

It's called LPG, means it's cheaper to run than a diesel... and much quicker... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #333821 21st Jun 2015 11:51pm
andy.cliff

Shocked Laughing

That wasn't my intention sir Wink I was surprised at the significant difference!

Diesel is significantly cheaper over here than petrol. Im surprised I don't see more LPG V8's over here...considering the diesels are rare as hens teeth in New Zealand.

I will keep it in mind for my next Range Thumbs Up Kiwi lad - Range Rover TD6 L322
Murdered out crew

Dual switchback halo's
20x9.5 TSW's
More to come...

Post #333833 22nd Jun 2015 12:55am
abs123

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

Looks smashing

I really like the tyre wheel combo on this fullfat.

What are the wheel and tyre specs on this?

Post #334068 23rd Jun 2015 1:43pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

Thats a very smart looking MK1 L322 Thumbs Up

Post #334070 23rd Jun 2015 1:51pm
andy.cliff

Thanks Gazellio Thumbs Up

abs123 wrote:
Looks smashing

I really like the tyre wheel combo on this fullfat.

What are the wheel and tyre specs on this?

Cool The wheels are TSW Brooklands - 20x9.5 +30 paired up to some 275/45/20 (I think) Cooper Tires.

Unsure of the tyres exact sizing/model. I will confirm and update you.

Cheers! Kiwi lad - Range Rover TD6 L322
Murdered out crew

Dual switchback halo's
20x9.5 TSW's
More to come...

Last edited by andy.cliff on 21st Jul 2015 10:31pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #334169 24th Jun 2015 12:41am
andy.cliff

No real updates to be posted but I have managed to give 4 low a test run last weekend Wink

We recently had a boys weekend away to Queenstown for a mates birthday. We happened to be going down during Winter fest which was awesome. It made for some very interesting driving on the way down though. Not long after the roads were re-opened, we managed to make it over the pass. Turns out a fair few tourists think its a good idea to take on the hills (covered in snow) in RWD japanese cars & vans with no chains. Idiots.

The Range got the chance to help out a fellow motorist (10 seater van full of Asian tourists) who managed to hit a bank at 80kmh because of black ice.

Heres a couple of snaps from the weekend Cool

10 minutes later

10 minutes after that the visibility was beyond a camera's ability. All white EVERYWHERE!!

From the rental home:

On the way home:

My older brother that was over from Perth was very impressed with the economy and capability of the Range which was good to hear :thumbsup:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Kiwi lad - Range Rover TD6 L322
Murdered out crew

Dual switchback halo's
20x9.5 TSW's
More to come...

Post #336215 7th Jul 2015 4:30am
holidaychicken

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Love the mods, I'm planning something very similar myself but wondered if you managed to get the side light / indicator lense open yet as i tried on an old one today that had a cracked lense.
i tried a hot air gun first that ended up just melting the surrounding plastic, i tried heating a stanley knife blade without any luck and actually cutting it out with a cut off wheel in a dremel but none really worked without a mess.
i have heard of people putting them in the oven but the joint felt more like a plastic weld than glue.

Post #343809 22nd Aug 2015 5:37pm
ajac8

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

Very smart Thumbs Up 405 AB exec seats Baltic and Cirrus
93 RR Classic efi

Remember it's easier to get forgiveness than permission!

Gone in order:
4.4 TDV8 SE - gone to a good home
93 Classic hard dash Plymouth Blue
03 L322 Oslo Blue
2000 Disco TD5 ES Epsom Green
98 P38 Rioja Red
89 Classic Cairngorm Brown

Post #343812 22nd Aug 2015 5:47pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Bow down Thumbs Up

Post #343820 22nd Aug 2015 6:56pm
holidaychicken

Phase 1 of my copy cat murder

Click image to enlarge

Post #344594 26th Aug 2015 8:42pm
andy.cliff

Well done on painting the indicators holidaychicken Thumbs Up Did you cut them open with a hot blade/plastic cutter?

I am looking at doing the same thing, just a few shades lighter, to match the headlights. Yours are a little too bold for my application.

While im here, I may as well throw up some images after cleaning her inside and out in the weekend. No real updates as such, but I have given it a full service recently. Cool

Murdered out crew

Dual switchback halo's
20x9.5 TSW's
More to come...

Post #347757 15th Sep 2015 1:51am
holidaychicken

yours is looking great, they really are a rewarding car to keep clean.
I tried opening an old broken indicator and i dont think they are glued together but more like plastic welded.

I then tried some vinyl wrap and cutting out the two round light areas and that was just crap.

The way i have done these which does require some bravery was to thoroughly clean the lense and then key up the surface using a very fine scotchbrite pad, grey, using straight strokes rather than swirls and the clean again.
This will leave the light with a frosted glass look.

I then masked off the area around the lights, i went just outside the chrome surround for each light. i have done a fair amount of spraying so i am fairly used to stretching the masking tape in a single contour. use a decent automotive fine lining tape used for layering paint as too much glue is not good.

I then painted the surrounding area with a java black base coat taking care to not apply too much paint as i didn't want a big step.

I left that to dry off for about an hour, too long and the lacquer wont stick and too short and the paint may lift with the masking tape. another reason to keep the base coat paint light where it meets the tape.

I then applied about 5 coats of 2k lacquer to build up the surface, this is when the frosted glass look should disappear.

When that was completely dry, the following day if necessary but i gave mine a bit of heat from a hot air gun and did it later that day but keep in mind 2k (2 Pack) lacquer has its own hardener so its workable quicker than standard lacquer.

I then wet flatted using Abralon pads which are like a foam backed abrasive which bend with the contours although a well soaked wet / dry paper would be ok.

I started with 1000 grit, then 2000 and then 4000 which only takes a matter of minutes between the lighter grits.
I then polished wet using a mini 3" polishing machine and G3 rubbing compound followed by G10 and then finally a wax polish.
I was really dubious about painting on the outside but i think it looks good.
i have also taken delivery of the same halos you used as well so just got to get around to fitting then and blacking out the rest of the lights and grille.

few pics below better light, if you look closely in the first pic you can see my reflection showing how shiny it is.

i think they should be ok long term, but give me a few months and i'll tell you.

If you have an old lense to practice on it would be ideal, i bought a broken one off ebay for a few quid.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

[/img]

Post #347772 15th Sep 2015 7:44am
holidaychicken

Phase 2 complete, I have blatantly copied your idea with the Morimoto switchback halos I'm afraid and i have been meaning to try and darken down the silver front end and hide some of its square corners for a while now.
I am really pleased with it, still needs a bit of tidying as had to rush a few bits and the lights are really easy to take apart - when you know how....
Anyway, thanks for the inspiration, wheels and side vents next, then the design pack rear bumper that's sitting in my garage Thumbs Up

Post #351750 11th Oct 2015 9:33pm
verydisco

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tangiers Orange

3/4 front pics would be good too if you get the chance Thumbs Up l=Oo\________/oO=l l:OolΞΞΞΞΞΞΞloO:l

Current
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L SDV8 - 2013 - Indus Silver, on Almond.
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L V8 - 2002 - ex-2003 G4 Challenge Event Vehicle, Stage 3: Australia
RANGE ROVER HSE 4.4L V8 - 2004 - one-of-one Overfinch
RANGE ROVER P38a 4.0L V8 - 1999 - ex-2000 TReK Event Vehicle: South Africa

Previous:
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L TDV8 - 2012 - RANGE ROVER 3.6L TDV8 x3 - RANGE ROVER Td6 x1 - RANGE ROVER Classic 3.5L V8 x1

Post #351798 12th Oct 2015 9:36am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>