Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > In Car Wi-Fi Entertainment Media Hub
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Flashman

England 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black
In Car Wi-Fi Entertainment Media Hub

Although I have in car rear screens and a PS2 the quality is pants compared to most modern tablets and now all movies are out in 1080p having the flexibility of a portable large screen and large film collection is key. Rather than pay a fortune to get a 128gb iPad etc the best option is to have the tablet access the films from a 3rd party hub/drive.

I have been looking for affordable and compact options to carry and play large movie collections and there are now quite a few options around. I narrowed down my choice to big name brands and feedback. Initially I got a Seagate Wireless Plus hard drive that is great, but I still worry about losing date if I dropped it. So I kept looking for alternatives.

For £25 (discounted at the moment on Amazon and myMemory) you can pick up a Kingston Mobilelite G2 portable wifi hub which has a built in power reserve, USB, Micro USB and Ethernet ports as well as an SD card slot.

http://www.kingston.com/en/wireless/wireless_readers#mlwg2

Once switched on (you can stick it in your arm rest and charge it from cigarette lighter) it will create a local wifi network in your car so that you can attach your film collection via a portable USB HD, USB Stick or SD card. You can then play these on your tablet, phone or laptop using the free apps or browser access. You can then bring it with you when you get home, go to a hotel etc. The great thing is that it will power most portable USB hard disc drives too.

I have bought a few cheap SD cards and it works flawlessly with 1080p streaming of films. I like the idea of using SD cards as they will not be vulnerable to bumps or drops etc. and you can keep them in a wallet. 128gb SD cards start at about £25. So I have one card for action movies another for cartoons and so on.

There are other products that do the same thing like a RavPower 6 in 1, but this one seemed the most affordable, compact and best built at the moment from a reliable brand.

Saves a lot of money on trying to integrate an HD system into your car with technology moving as fast as it is.

You can also stream different films to different tablets at the same time which is a bonus on those long trips to the Alps etc.

I know it might sound like a sales pitch, but I am really amazed at the quality and ease of the system that it might be of use to other members. Tom

Current Drive
2011 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography - Santorini Black - Ivory Leather

Previous Drives
2004 Model Vogue Td6 (Touchscreen) - Java Black - Parchment Leather
1994 RR Classic 3.9 V8 Soft dash - Niagara Grey - Grey Leather
1972 Series III SWB Safari - Green (Hand Painted) - Black Plastic

Last edited by Flashman on 20th Jun 2015 8:44am. Edited 3 times in total

Post #332883 17th Jun 2015 9:47am
DannyH

England 2002 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Looks good mate, I'm sure I'll be looking for something like this in a year or 2 when my daughter is old enough to watch anything from beginning to end. Dan

2002 Zambezi Silver

Men And Motors RR Quote - It's like having wheels fitted to your living room!

Post #332887 17th Jun 2015 10:27am
Flashman

England 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

Also a great solution if your other half wants to watch films on the go or you want to access your entire collection on your low memory iPad in the kitchen, yacht, campsite etc.

I have over 1TB of films on a portable drive and all I need to do is take it with me and plug it in to the hub. No need to transfer them to the tablet etc. You get much longer power if you use SD cards, I think it will stream them for around 13 hours between charging. If you plug it in to the lighter socket with a micro USB it will stream nonstop.

If you are not bothered about attaching a USB hard disk or drive you can get a Sandisk Connect which is smaller has some built in memory (32gb or 64gb) and uses SD cards only. Very compact and around £30-£40. Tom

Current Drive
2011 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography - Santorini Black - Ivory Leather

Previous Drives
2004 Model Vogue Td6 (Touchscreen) - Java Black - Parchment Leather
1994 RR Classic 3.9 V8 Soft dash - Niagara Grey - Grey Leather
1972 Series III SWB Safari - Green (Hand Painted) - Black Plastic

Last edited by Flashman on 17th Jun 2015 9:02pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #332893 17th Jun 2015 11:12am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

thats a great idea Tom especially if you cant load movies on a tablet with low gb's of storage..... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #332909 17th Jun 2015 12:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1