Print this entire topic · 
rangie47

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey
pirelli or michelin

hi chaps ,
I've got a choice of 2 sets of tyres,
1 x Pirelli Verde - w rated
1 x Michelin latitude sport - y rated

not really keen on the tread pattern of the Michelin ,but the Pirelli are only w rated ,but both are load rate 110,

which is the better tyre to go for as I've had no experience of either and my proxe s/t's are getting low ,

thanks Terry 2007 tdv8 se ,stornaway grey

Post #333603 20th Jun 2015 5:34pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

the speed rating is kind of irrelevant as both are in excess of the top speed of the car. Thumbs Up

W - 270kmh = 167mph
Y - 300kmh = 186mph There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #333612 20th Jun 2015 6:15pm
wackyjim

Scotland 2011 Range Rover SE TDV8 Santorini Black

Both makes are excellent and have similar characteristics so the right choice will be the cheapest ones you can find Thumbs Up The forums premier drug dealer and human trafficking consultant

Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8, Range Rover Sport HSE 3.6TDV8, Audi S8 V10, Jaguar XKR Conv, Jaguar XJS V12 Conv, Land Rover Disco 3, Lexus LS 400 MkIV, Lexus LS400 Mk III.

Post #333632 20th Jun 2015 8:07pm
Zirconblue

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

Speed ratings are less of an issue in the UK anyway.

The law only says the car must have a speed rating appropriate for the car, so being as in the UK the maximum speed you can legally drive a car is 70mph that means any speed rating over 70mph is 'appropriate'. Tyre places will often 'recommend', say "you should have" and 'strongly suggest' you have this or that rating, because higher rated tyres are normally more expensive (and profitable).

(Of course some smart arse is likely to say well you can go much faster than that on a track in the UK- but you're allowed slicks and all sorts on a track. If you take your car abroad then the rules are different, especially on german autobahns for example)

A good example of this, is car manufacturers will often for Winter tyres, suggest sizes with a lower speed rating, simply because you shouldn't be going as fast in winter conditions anyway.

load rating, especially on something the weight of a Range Rover is much more important.

I think the Michelins are Summer tyres though, whereas the Scorpion Verde's are All season tyres. The Michelins might be slightly better in the summer, but Pirelli's will be a better in the winter. - nothing worse than getting stuck in some snow or slush in a RANGE ROVER, when people are driving past you in 2wd euroboxes.

Post #333635 20th Jun 2015 8:18pm
IanT599

United Kingdom 

Look online and get the EU rating on the tyres.

When I shop for tyres I look at fuel economy and grip in the wet. A lot of people before used to buy tyres on the brand name thinking they were good. Now the EU rating actually tell if they are.

Post #333646 20th Jun 2015 8:48pm
Zirconblue

Agreed, i remember on my Mini there were two models of Dunlop available, one of them was truly shocking in the wet, they were bad even in the damp!

It's not fool proof, but it's a good gude for comparing like for like.

I replaced the Pirelli's on my Jaguar as they were so noisy, used the noise ratings to find the quietest i could, it was silent in there once i changed them!

There are some anomalies though, for wet grip for examply you get some summer tyres with higher we grip ratings than winters, but then when you try them in the real world the winters are far better in the wet.

Post #333647 20th Jun 2015 8:53pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Whats wrong with good old Scorpion Zeros.....?

Agree that the Verdes are all season, have a look at the pirelli website, means that they will perform better in the winter, however these are definitely more road biased tyres, not a problem if you don't want to stray off the tarmac. However should yu want any offroad ability others may be better suited. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #333657 20th Jun 2015 9:41pm
Zirconblue

Scorpion Zero's look better on a 4x4 too, they don't have that naked road tyre look to them. Laughing

Post #333661 20th Jun 2015 9:54pm
rangie47

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

thanks for the replies ,
these are 255 55 20 off takes 2007 tdv8 se ,stornaway grey

Post #333669 20th Jun 2015 10:53pm
Zirconblue

out of the two i'd go for the Pirelli for the versatility. (made in the UK too)

Post #333672 20th Jun 2015 11:04pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

First thing an insurance assessor or Police accident investigator will look at if you have a serious accident is the tyres, if they are not up to the recommended specifications then the Insurance company will walk away and it will go a long way towards changing whatever offence they can pin on you, to having "reckless" in front of it..

Just not worth the hassle...... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #333678 21st Jun 2015 12:37am
Zirconblue

If you've fitted 50mph tractor tyres and gone on the motorway at 70 then i would agree. But if you've got tyres rated to at least 70 they would have a difficult time doing you for anything as they would be 'adequate' for the vehicle. If you take your car for an MOT, then the tester just has to check the speed rating is adequate, so basically more than 70mph - which is all VOSA can do in a roadside check too.

The tyres would become your limiting factor, i've seen pick-ups converted to crop sprayers and they were limited to 30mph due to the tyres. Of course they were more than capable to doing more than 30, but that would be illegal and reckless. It's just the same as our Range Rover's are 'capable' of 130ish (a guess), but it would be both illegal and reckless to drive at that speed in the UK regardless of the tyres you have fitted. You can't be prosecuted for having the 'potential' to break the law.

Post #333714 21st Jun 2015 10:22am
Rangeyman

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

I put Pirelli scorpion all season on mine,just because I wanted to keep the same make all round so put a pair on the rear at a good price.Have had arguments with tyre people before that a vr rated should be fitted as that was original,i had to laugh!! H ratings are more than adequate as speed limits are 70!Just to add to the subject Have replaced the van tyres which were originally Michelins with Hankook and the cheaper Hankooks have done considerably more miles than the Michelins!!

Post #333724 21st Jun 2015 12:03pm
Zirconblue

Some tyres are a harder rubber compound, it means they wear much better but normally don't grip as well when the temperature drops.

I suppose to be fair to tyre fitters, part of the reason they tell you to fit massively over rated (for speed) tyres, is they're worried about liability. I mean if you have N rated tyres fitted on your car then take it to Germany and the tread flies off at 100mph, they're worried you're going to try and claim they said they were suitable for your car and didn't specify a speed restriction.

a quote from black circles.com;

Quote:
It is very important that you check your speed rating before buying tyres. Choosing a tyre with a lower rating than is appropriate for your car can invalidate your insurance.

Notice they use he word 'appropriate' not 'recommended' or "as the car was supplied". Because even N rated are appropriate for UK roads.

Makes me laugh the only tyres available in the size that fit my Mini are V rated. (149mph), Even with her Cooper S works conversion, she'll only just about manage 100mph.

Post #333806 21st Jun 2015 8:49pm
Strider

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

northernmonkeyjones wrote:
Whats wrong with good old Scorpion Zeros.....?

Agree that the Verdes are all season, have a look at the pirelli website, means that they will perform better in the winter, however these are definitely more road biased tyres, not a problem if you don't want to stray off the tarmac. However should yu want any offroad ability others may be better suited.

+1
My RR came with Scorpion Zeros, they seem a good all round tyre and not too loud on tarmac.

I had Mitchelin XM&S on the other Range Rover. At 70 they would hum quite loudly on roads.

Off road, I was stuck once up to the wheel hubs in soft mud at a club meeting but managed to dig my self out (low ratio + lots of steering lock). I guess its really up to what you plan to do with your car and what your wallet dictates.

This car will not be doing that.

NB: Car took about 2 hours to clean Sad

Post #333868 22nd Jun 2015 10:00am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>