Home > Technical (L322) > Deployable side steps unlock problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Ryanmt

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV6 Santorini Black
Deployable side steps unlock problem

Hi All,

I suspect I have an issue with the DSS on my RR but information is thin on the ground with this optional extra, in the manual it states when you unlock the car the steps extend for 1min before retracting, opening and closing the door also triggers the steps

When I unlock the car the steps bob partially out then retract, the steps do actually extend when you open the door but you find yourself opening then having to wait for them to drop.

Has anybody else got this feature that could confirm when they extend? Is there any information out there for the logic on when the steps deploy. I read that it maybe due to parking on an incline but the cars dead level so can rule that out.

I’m going to strip and clean the steps just in case they are binding slightly, I have memories of the discovery rear step and how that used to jam so my intention is to keep them greased and clean as much as possible.

Post #327886 14th May 2015 12:26pm
Fleagle_UK

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

my side steps deploy fully on unlocking the car. they do retract after one minute if the door isn't opened.

Doest sound right you having to wait for them to deploy when opening a door. Mine deploy fairly quickly - more than enough for the "average" pace of getting into a car. So either the motors are a bit slow or you climb in a car as if the sweeney chasing the bad guy! Smile

If I recall correctly the user guide does say the steps will retract if they encounter a blockage (e.g. high kerb!) maybe the hinges needs a good grease?

Post #328357 17th May 2015 9:27pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Water ingress into the motors at a guess, that usually makes them slowwwwwww Laughing Thumbs Up

Post #328381 17th May 2015 10:53pm
Ryanmt

Thanks for the replies, confirms there is an issue somewhere. They don’t seem to be excessively slow but its hard to say. Need another range rover to have a step race with Rolling Eyes Laughing

I have been doing some research into parts, I can get the motors for 150 ea, the ecu for 100 and the loom for 100.. the costs for diagnosis at a dealer could easily cost more than chancing replacing a few components! I'm going to strip the steps and clean them up on the off chance, will also try it with 1 step unplugged to see if I can narrow it down to a side. If not will probably try an ecu. If I get a solution will post up with my findings!

Post #328462 18th May 2015 4:10pm
Ryanmt

Just to update this thread with a fix.

We stripped the steps down and they were in awful condition, one of the mounts had snapped around the shaft and needed rewelding (new brackets are 250+ each!).

From now on out the steps will be serviced every 6 months with a top of up grease as they don't fair well slung under the car at all.

After freeing up all the steps the fault wasnt resolved so went with a new step ECU that did the trick. Fairly easy to fit (no programming) in the 2010< its located (rhd) on the panel next to the drivers left leg

Post #335267 30th Jun 2015 1:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1