Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > Would you buy a JLR built abroad?
Would you buy a JLR built abroad?
YES
52%
 52%  [10]
NO
31%
 31%  [6]
NOT SURE
15%
 15%  [3]
Total Votes: 19

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Muddywheels

England 
Would you buy a JLR built abroad?

With the rise of JLR production abroad I am curious to know how many owners would still buy a JLR vehicle if it wasn't built here in the UK Confused

I buy them because I think they're great vehicles but also because in some small way the second biggest thing I spend my hard earned cash on contributes to the UK economy Bow down

Quote:
Union leaders are concerned about the impact an East European plant could have on UK JLR jobs.

Union leaders are calling for urgent talks with luxury car maker Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) over concerns about job security at its UK plants, including Halewood.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/busine...ar-9584372

Quote:
“But we are concerned about plans to open a plant in Eastern Europe which could build up to 200,000 cars a year.”

Halewood employs 4,500 staff and is working around the clock building the Range Rover Evoque and Land Rover Discovery Sport.

Mr Maddison said JLR is currently building a total of 462,000 vehicles a year in its UK plants, but it is aiming to be in a position to be able to make between 1.2 million and 1.5 million vehicles a year.

The union understands that JLR has narrowed down its choice of possible locations in Eastern Europe to four: Poland, Hungary, the Czech Republic, and Slovakia.

A final choice will probably depend on the amount of financial support offered by potential host countries.
 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #335929 5th Jul 2015 11:34am
Muddywheels

England 

Across the forums I'm seeing the majority of owners would buy an import Shocked

Sadly I fear the accountants will run the UK down in favour of cheaper jobs in Eastern Europe and more profit - one things for sure they won't get cheaper for us the buyer and if production increases from 460 000 units to 1.2/1.5 million quality won't improve either looking at the German marques Confused

I voiced my concerns on here when TaTa took over and it gives me no pleasure appearing to be right Sad

I just hope the people at Whitley, Gaydon, Halewood and Solihull who have made JLR great again carry on creating much needed revenue and jobs for the uk Bow down

I'll keep buying while production remains here Cool Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #335961 5th Jul 2015 4:12pm
sasdiscos

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zambezi Silver

Probably be better built and more reliable.

Steve You remind me of a young me, not much younger mind, perhaps even a little older!

Post #335962 5th Jul 2015 4:20pm
Muddywheels

England 

I've ordered my 9th and only had 1 that let me down so as far as I'm concerned reliability is fine - but I do keep hearing they're rubbish from people Confused

Also increasing production from 460,000 units pa to 1.2-1.5 million will not improve matters - it didn't for the German marques Sad Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #335966 5th Jul 2015 4:37pm
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

I'll say "no." They are quintessentially British.

Almost all the VWs we get here are made in Mexico. I think the Pasat is the lowest spec VW sold here and made in Germany. And they LOVE to go all German in the ads (Das Auto, etc). When they first started with the Mexican imports in the 90s, quality control just about killed the brand in North America. It's still weak here compared to the rest if the world despite the quality having improved greatly. And I have NO problem with Mexican cars. Just don't tell me they're German. They're not.

It's one thing for the Defender to be outsourced to the parent company (Tata) due to changing regs. I think that's a good idea. Going overseas JUST for the cost savings is different. I think most JLR buyers are wanting to buy British.

It will be an interesting day if an Englishman ends up saying, "I bought the Nissan rather than the Jaguar as I wanted to buy British..." Rolling Eyes

Post #336027 5th Jul 2015 10:34pm
Amazing

I did

Here in China I bought a LR made abroad in a small has been country called.England made in a place called Soliwotsit famous for badgers and flooding.

worked out ok for me.

on a serious note...
The biggest worry is the habitual use of the phrase
差不多 used in a manner similar to 'alright for pit work!'

very noticable on my made in China passat.
(but maybe no worse than my made in Italy maz) it is better to have and not need then need and not have

Post #336047 6th Jul 2015 1:18am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1