Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Brake Discs - slotted, drilled, plain. Much difference?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Mikeyjd

Wales 2003 Range Rover SE Td6 Zambezi Silver
Brake Discs - slotted, drilled, plain. Much difference?

I am thinking of fitting new brake discs on the rear of my 2003 FF. (The old ones are quite corroded and pitted).

There are so many different types on the market e.g Slotted / Grooved / Drilled etc. by various manufacturers. The prices seem very reasonable too. What are people thoughts on which ones to fit? No longer FF owner but still interested. Present car Jaguar XE

Previous car Td6 SE

Previous LR- Disco 300TDi Auto

Post #338177 20th Jul 2015 6:42pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

from what i've read you need to keep away from the drilled ones as the holes weaken the disc..dimpled and grooved ones seem ok and are reputed to keep the pads clean ..

i think normal OE discs are the way to go though.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #338183 20th Jul 2015 7:51pm
Mikey

Scotland 

Stick with OEM discs...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #338199 20th Jul 2015 8:38pm
Rangeyman

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

I see as usual everyone is recommending original parts ,I suppose you cannot go wrong with that recommendation but has anyone out there had any or heard of anyone that had a failed disc or pad problem?

Post #338228 20th Jul 2015 10:02pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

They don't tend to fail, just don't work as well or last as long, they can also be machined to a lesser tolerance which will lead to run out, this causes all sorts of problems as well as the worst of all, the dreaded squeaky brakes... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #338231 20th Jul 2015 10:07pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Ive fitted drilled & grooved discs on three of my own 322’s which have been brilliant. Always fitted them with genuine LR pads though Thumbs Up

Post #338233 20th Jul 2015 10:14pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

previous owner fitted grooved drilled ones to front on my car. they drive ok to me, but, hit the brakes hard at 50 or more and you get a horrible noise/mild vibration on the pedal as the holes go through the pads, a sort of uneasy feeling that you don't want at a time of mild panic. I have no issues with their trueness, there's nothing to warrant immediate action, but, I have some new pads and waiting for a window, to change the discs as well, as soon as the pads wear out! however, they look 'nice' in a sort of boy racer way. but only at the front!

Post #338235 20th Jul 2015 10:18pm
martinf

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

It seems odd to me that my Porsche comes with drilled discs and yet I have seen a number of posts on various site saying they are a bad idea. I am confused

Post #338266 21st Jul 2015 8:13am
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

My 07 VSE came with EBC drilled & grooved discs and also the yellow stuff pads. I removed them due to noise and harshness. They were replaced with OEM Brembo items and peace & quiet was restored. In fact I recall giving them to a member on here (not sure who now) but he might like to comment on how he found them.

Non OE but standard items would probably be OK at a guess but I'd never fit drilled or grooved discs again, nor would I fit any of these non standard compound pads like EBC, Tarox etc. LR and Brembo have invested in reducing NVH whilst giving good braking effort & efficiency. I just see no reason to deviate from that TBH.

Post #338267 21st Jul 2015 8:20am
Havank

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

I had the front upgraded to drilled and grooved, but they just didn't last as long as the OEM stuff

Oh yes yes yes, it looks very good on the car. but now i'm getting older its more about performance and safety rather than looks

Post #338277 21st Jul 2015 9:41am
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

As far as my SC is concerned, it's nothing but OEM Brembo stuff, or whatever the thing needs. The standard brakes work perfectly well and I see no reason to muddle with that.

However, I did fit drilled and grooved discs and OEM pads to my highly tuned 110 a few years ago. The brake lines were upgraded to braided Goodrich SS front and rear at the same time and the fluid changed. I also had the front calipers fully rebuilt with stainless pistons and new seals. This made a noticeable improvement to the braking ability and feel but with less fade. I cannot confirm, however, whether the improvements were down to just having uprated discs. I rather suspect it was a combination of everything done at that time and not just any one change.

I'm not denigrating fitting uprated discs at all as they can give a real benefit if fitting quality parts. But I think they tend to work better in combination with other braking system upgrades, or that's what my own experience tells me. Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #338282 21st Jul 2015 10:06am
IanT599

United Kingdom 

I know it's not the same car but I fitted groves discs with dimples on a TD5 D2. They were ebc which are pretty good name in brakes.
Made no noticeable difference. Probably as the td5 wasn't driven to the limit all the time.

Now on a little hot hatch I had a while back and updated discs and pads made a difference on that one.

Post #338283 21st Jul 2015 10:29am
Zirconblue

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

Holes and grooves are great on a racing car or ultra high performance car. But in reality on a normal road car they're nothing more an cosmetic. You wont really notice any appreciable difference in stopping power, the Range Rover already has pretty decent brakes as it is.

Post #338287 21st Jul 2015 11:12am
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

The holes in Porsche OEM discs are cast-in, not drilled, so they don't usually suffer the same problems.

Need to think about what problem you're actually trying to solve if buying drilled/dimpled/grooved aftermarket discs - most changes in disc and pad away from OEM-spec will introduce some sort of compromise.

Post #338288 21st Jul 2015 11:16am
Mikeyjd

Wales 2003 Range Rover SE Td6 Zambezi Silver

Thanks for all the comments guys.

I was just curious as to any real differences with the various types. I can imagine that any grooves or holes in the discs would probably increase pad wear but maybe improve stopping ability slightly. No longer FF owner but still interested. Present car Jaguar XE

Previous car Td6 SE

Previous LR- Disco 300TDi Auto

Post #338565 22nd Jul 2015 6:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>