Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Are there any paint colours to avoid?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
peterg1965

Are there any paint colours to avoid?

I absolutely accept that colour choice is personal, but suspect that most buyers would not want to buy a FFRR in a colour which gives a reason for the dealer to suck his teeth and mark it down in value come trade in time. So, I guess black is always popular but what colours are to be avoided?

Red? Gold? Is there a hierarchy of colours which impact on value?

Post #339132 26th Jul 2015 9:04am
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

Avoid black.

Hateful to keep clean and the dealer will always have one on his forecourt so won't want another.

Post #339139 26th Jul 2015 9:37am
SKOT

England 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Bonatti Grey

Gary is the man to answer this as he is closest to this.

Green is not regarded as a desirable colour for residual values but personally I think it suits the RR very nicely.

White didn't use to be but it's back in fashion.

Take into account interior colours too, my TD6 was black (I will personally never ever have a black car again, keeping it clean was an utter nightmare and it also seemed to pick up noticeable scratches even when it sat on the drive and didn't travel anywhere!) so in theory it was "desirable" but the interior had the fake wood cappings, beige leather and a very dark blue carpet and door cards. In hindsight it wasn't the best overall combination.

Essentially, your RR is going to depreciate like a big rock falling so unless you are buying to sell as a trader just go with what you like... 2006 4.2 SC
2019 Renault Zoe Dynamique Nav

Post #339142 26th Jul 2015 9:42am
Emperor Mong

Dealers will always come up with a reason why your car is not worth as much as others:

Black - too many of them. I have to sell it cheap to compete
Blue - limited market
Green - only appeals to the country set and they buy new
Red - too boy racer for the country set who always buy used
White - recession white? On a Rangie? You have to be joking
Grey - now, if it were black...
Gold - Jewish Racing Gold might sell well in Golders Green but this is the Shires, Sir
Silver - too light, sir. It doesn't show off the lines

I would only buy green, blue or dark grey with a dark interior. Most want black with light interiors. When you have an unusual colour, if you get the right buyer, they have to buy yours because it is the only one. Black you have to compete on price as there are hundreds. But black will have lots of buyers, so priced right, they shift. Unusual colours and you have to wait for that one buyer to come along.

Post #339143 26th Jul 2015 9:48am
Robert

France 2007 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

There is a victim for every car and every color and if you 're worried about return value, don't buy a RR at all. The only reason to decide on color is your own taste. Black and dark blue are horrible colors to clean, on silver you hardly see the dirth. Any color will make a dealer grinding his teeth and tell you that there is a reason why it is a difficult one (except when he has got one to sell). So just buy what you like.

Post #339159 26th Jul 2015 12:02pm
JackRegan

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Waitomo Grey

I agree with EM, dealers will always give you that old flannel when it comes to trading in. It's the same with options, whatever you don't have the dealer will tell you would have gained a premium and the options they told you were essential when you bought it don't make any difference to the trade in value.

My advice is to buy the model you want with options you want in the colour scheme you want, buy it to enjoy it and not for someone else to.

Jack 2016MY TDV6 Autobiography - Off The Road
2011MY 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography Black - Gone
2005 TD6 Vogue - Gone

Post #339169 26th Jul 2015 1:21pm
peterg1965

Some interesting points! I love black and have had many black cars, agree that they are enormously difficult to keep looking clean. I have just driven an Autobiography in Corris Grey with Black leather. I thought the black interior would make it look very gloomy inside, however, the pano roof makes all the difference. I loved the colour combo.

Post #339186 26th Jul 2015 3:11pm
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

I agree with EM AND I also think, if you are spending a lot of money on and a lot of time in a car then you should get the car that is perfect for you. I understand the resale value is important but I also firmly believe that it is very difficult to predict how your choice is going to do come resale time.

Of course pink and chrome or gold wrap are likely to appeal to a small crowd of Censored Censored Censored Censored Censored but I think there is a market for every "normal" combo.

There will be buyers for your car when it comes sale time, especially if it has Full LR Service History and is in great condition. The colours don't matter that much when a car is in tip top condition. I would not have gone for a Bournemouth ever until I (well Gary) found one that seemed to be a very nice one (turned there were some turbo issues that steered me away from it).

So colour is less important if the rest of the car ticks all the boxes IMHO, in other words get the car perfect for you and make sure it stays in tip top condition and you will find a good buyer for it in the future Wink MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #339192 26th Jul 2015 3:28pm
Emperor Mong

peterg1965 wrote:
I have just driven an Autobiography in Corris Grey with Black leather. I thought the black interior would make it look very gloomy inside, however, the pano roof makes all the difference. I loved the colour combo.

It's what I have. It's great.

Post #339208 26th Jul 2015 5:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1