Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > My Air con didn't work, so I fixed it!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
miggit

United Kingdom 
My Air con didn't work, so I fixed it!

Hi all, I am going to be shot down in flames for posting this, and I don't care cos my A/C works Ner Ner

Where do I begin, with a new to me car, about a year ago, A/C lovely Cool
And then 2.5 months in to ownership it all got a little hot Sad , so I got it regassed and all was Cool . Then it was winter, but around February I started to fog up, and didn't pay it much thought. Tested the A/C in early May, big fail Evil or Very Mad , arranged for an engineer to come and play find the leak. and waited, and waited, and waited, Censored was a no show Evil or Very Mad

Ran it around to a local garage for a recharge, as it was getting near to driving all day, most days, and told them that it had lost it's charge over a few months. So they did a Nitrogen leak test for 45 minutes, and the needle didn't move a micron, so they gassed it Very Happy . 2.5 months down the road and the A/C failed again Big Cry And then the injectors thought that they would join in for good measure Big Cry Big Cry

On getting my shiny recon injectors back they sent me the customary Summer Deals book, and in it's pages I found this

So I purchased some and the regas kit as well, and now everybody is going to shout at me, and tell me that I should have had it done by a professional. I tried that, they couldn't find the bloody leak, so they charged it.

All I have to say is a professional would not use leak sealer, they would have just changed out half the A/C system and I would still be reeling from the bill. The Super Seal say it is no good if your system will not hold a charge for 2 weeks or less, but as mine is months, I've got that one covered. I had to top up the gas a wee bit to get the compressor working, and then introduce the Super Seal in to the system and finally top up the gas to the correct level on my new gauge that came with the kit.

Well I did it and it works, but in ture ffrr tradition there was not enough gas in the cylinder, and it's only just in to the green on the dial Evil or Very Mad BUT I took the empty back today for my £10 refund, (it's like being a kid again with lemonade bottles, only I'm older and the refund has shot up in price Wink ), and I thought that I would get 3 more cylinders of the gas so that I could top up the system and have some spare for later Thumbs Up
Oh and I forgot to say that the STP A/C products are on the 3 for 2 offer that they are running in Halfords, and also I have been given a bonus, as the 3 for 2 didn't charge me 3 x deposit, only 2 :whistle:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #341907 11th Aug 2015 9:22pm
sasdiscos

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zambezi Silver

You might find that it will stop working if you get a leak again, the leak sealer reacts with air, if you didn't vac the system before hand you will get trouble. FACT!

steve You remind me of a young me, not much younger mind, perhaps even a little older!

Post #341910 11th Aug 2015 9:40pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

And It Begins..................

FYI there was a residual gas charge in the system, only not enough to register with the pressure switch that controls the compressor. If memory hasn't totally failed me it was around 15 psi on the low side.

Next Wink Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #341914 11th Aug 2015 9:47pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Nothing wrong with what you've done, topping up a system is fine, it's discharging it to the atmosphere that's not very kind.... and illegal

Hope it sorts it for you..... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #341938 11th Aug 2015 11:48pm
Zirconblue

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

I did it on an old Fiat worked fine for the 18 months I kept it. As a diy solution the kit works well, perhaps not the best way to do it but it does seem to work. Took my mums Citroen to Kwikfit though, £45 for a drain and refil.

Post #341941 12th Aug 2015 12:00am
sasdiscos

miggit wrote:
And It Begins..................

FYI there was a residual gas charge in the system, only not enough to register with the pressure switch that controls the compressor. If memory hasn't totally failed me it was around 15 psi on the low side.

Next Wink

Whats wrong with my comment, I'm just stating the way in which the sealer works. You remind me of a young me, not much younger mind, perhaps even a little older!

Post #341968 12th Aug 2015 7:37am
miggit

United Kingdom 
Re: My Air con didn't work, so I fixed it!

miggit wrote:
Hi all, I am going to be shot down in flames for posting this,

As I predicted in the opening line of my post Wink

And I know that it reacts with air, I want it too, if it didn't come in to contact with air then I wouldn't have had a leak Shocked

But in all fairness it does say that you need the compressor to run before you put the sealer in the system, and that you must top up the system after to stop the low pressure port from blocking. So the trick is to put enough gas in to get it all working, but leave enough room to get the sealer in and a top up to flush the port. Which is real easy on a 'ang 'over as they have a really big A/C system Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #341992 12th Aug 2015 10:39am
Contraband

Scotland 

Well done....
Total cost? Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #341996 12th Aug 2015 10:55am
Zirconblue

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

Doesn't the gas bottle you get from Halfords contain a leak sealer as well as gas? Mine did.

Post #342000 12th Aug 2015 11:04am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Now your asking, why does someone always have to ask the really difficult questions......

Top up gas was £39.99, the hose and gauge were £19.99 and the Super Seal was also £19.99 so that's £79.97 Shocked 'Ang on a minute it's 2 for 3..........

Oh, Yes, so that's £59.98

And then I got £10 back Mr. Green

So the total to get it working was £49.98, but that is with a low reading on the gauge, just in to the green.

So I returned to get some more gas............ 3 for 2............ I wonder............

£39.99 x 3 - £39.99 = £79.98 for 3 cylinders with 3 x £10 refund on them, so the second round of gas has worked out at £16.66 per cylinder Mr. Green Don't you just love it when they can't add up without a calculator Mr. Green

Buy my experiences I recon that a just packed up system with a known leak, like mine , will take 1.5 cylinders of gas, so if there a need to do more than 1 system at home, or you have a mate to share the cost, I would suggest that 3 cylinders, 2 Super Seal, and a trigger on the 3 for 2 would be a very good buy........ especially if the gas is brought all an once Wink Whistle Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #342001 12th Aug 2015 11:14am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Yes, the gas has some leak sealer in it, but only says it's good for 'O' rings, Super Seal will also deal with cracked metal parts as well Thumbs Up

I have just erred on the side of caution, I know that I had a leak, big enough to stop the A/c working after 2 months, but small enough to be a pita to find, got peed off looking and thought that I'd give this a try beforeit got to new condensers, heat exchangers etc. Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #342003 12th Aug 2015 11:21am
jakebullet64

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

But is it ice cold now? 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 on Gas
1961 88" 2.25 diesel - George
Gone - 1997 3.9 V8i Discovery - Burt

Post #342024 12th Aug 2015 1:01pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Mr. Green Yes, but it isn't blowing clouds in the car now, like it was a month ago Shocked Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #342025 12th Aug 2015 1:08pm
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

On my 4.2 the entire system was changed apart from the cabin cooler and a year later we had to top up coolant again Sad. So big bill AND still not fixed. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #342049 12th Aug 2015 2:33pm
sasdiscos

The gas doesn't have leak sealer in. It just contains pag oil. Which the seals will absorb. Leak seal usuall causes issues. Why not just change the problem o ring instead? That's why no main dealer or ac engineer will use it. Just make sure you put a sticker on stating its in there. It Censored up ac test equipment.

Steve You remind me of a young me, not much younger mind, perhaps even a little older!

Post #342109 12th Aug 2015 7:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>