Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Retrofitting fitting paddle shift to a 2010 5.0 Supercharged
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

To be fair on the Faultmate, you can reflash the ECUs and I did on the 4.2, several ECUs. According to BBS they have an agreement with JLR to get the latest software from JLR.

I do like the IID a lot more as it is not such an "uienwinkel" (good luck finding the meaning of that Smile ) as the Faultmate is.

I worked a lot with the FM and I will keep it but it is clear the IID is designed to be more user friendly and less of an "uienwinkel" and much cheaper as well !!!

So if I do have the IID available by the time I do the paddle shift upgrade I will most certainly use it, otherwise I will still have my trusty old Faultmate to do the trick. I plan to do ECU updates on all my ECUs anyway when I have access to the 5.0 again Smile. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #343925 23rd Aug 2015 3:31pm
SGW

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

Thank you all for your help, my Ecu needed a re flash as the firmware was January 2009 version. Patrick from GAP was most helpful as my IID tool also needed an update to do the re flash. Adaptions all reset and paddles now working. A modification well worth doing for little cost.
Stewart.

Post #344395 25th Aug 2015 8:10pm
Bodsy

United Kingdom 

I don't think the paddles update can be applied with the Faultmate (I have a Faultmate and an IID Pro tool). It's a specific variation that Gap have made to get the 2012 paddle software working on 2010-2011 cars.

Post #344417 25th Aug 2015 9:10pm
ebajema

Well there is my excuse to by the IID tool then Smile MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #344456 26th Aug 2015 4:08am
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

All the bits should be here next week, paddles from Dan and the cable from eBay. So its definitely on my list of things to do now Very Happy Geoff

Post #345191 30th Aug 2015 11:19pm
supershuttle

I did have a thought, dangerous I know, is it necessary to completely remove the steering wheel or does it just make things easier. I was confused about the cable and the rotate through 180 degrees stuff but I guess this all becomes clear when it's facing you. Geoff

Post #345226 31st Aug 2015 9:08am
SCPB

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Yes the wheel does need to come off to swap the rear of the two spokes for the paddles. 2010 5.0 SC Autobiography

Post #345264 31st Aug 2015 11:47am
supershuttle

Right, got all the bits, battery disconnected but I can't shift the switch packs and the airbag. Is it just a case of more brute force, I have already used plenty to no avail. I have a steel rod that fits the holes pretty much exactly but you can move it up, down and sideways. The powerful video suggests you can feel that you are pushing against a spring mine feels like you are pushing against something solid (and I have been pushing pretty hard) is there a knack to it or am I doing something wrong? Any help appreciated Embarassed Geoff

Post #348020 16th Sep 2015 3:42pm
SCPB

Yes had the same problem myself, don't force it.

The direction to push is parallel to the plane of the steering wheel its self. Or, said another way, at 90 degrees to the steering column not the plastic shroud. I am sure that I had a look at the Powerful UK video and saw that there is a guide inside that directs you onto the release button. Put the tool in the hole and then, with a little pressure towards you (the sort of movement to flash your lights) slide it in until it stops and them with a little push and downward pressure on the airbag, it releases easily. Difficult to describe, but hope it helps. 2010 5.0 SC Autobiography

Post #348021 16th Sep 2015 3:51pm
supershuttle

Got it, the rod I was using was too thick because although it fitted through the outer plastic hole it was too big a diameter for the inner one, used a smaller diameter screwdriver and it worked fine, blade needs to be horizontal not vertical though and yes there are guides.

Next lamo question is that the recommended connecting cable is not "handed" so is red from the paddles next to or away from the notch , I know its not Red on the connecting cable. Geoff

Post #348044 16th Sep 2015 5:32pm
SCPB

Its best to not worry about the colours, just line up the two female plugs with the notch in the same orientation as if you could actually join them. Then put the four cables / plug into the plug coming from the paddles and before you connect the other end of the lead into the steering wheel female socket, as if you were just using the four wires as an extension; just rotate the plug 180 degrees and insert it. In reality what you have done is reversed the four cables running from right to left to left to right.................. Shocked not sure if that helps.

If you get it wrong the + and - signs will not illuminate, just rotate the plug (or reverse the order of the cables). I used 4 individual cables. 2010 5.0 SC Autobiography

Post #348070 16th Sep 2015 7:11pm
supershuttle

Got it thanks.
Will have to continue when it gets lights again tomorrow as I was delayed getting a pesky connector loose.
Thanks again
Geoff Geoff

Post #348087 16th Sep 2015 8:22pm
ebajema

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Looking forward to hearing the result, please take plenty pictures especially the connectors Wink MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #348135 17th Sep 2015 6:29am
supershuttle

Right I got the request for photos too late for dismantling but I took some while mantling - is that a word?

Anyway first a big thank-you to SCPB who helped me along.

Steering Wheel Alignment;
Although there are marks on the splines to help align mine didn't match them as can be seen here.

However I had the wheels facing forward and the steering lock on so alignment was easy

Wiring is pretty easy as well - just remember where you unplugged everything

be careful with the routing of your new wires as they can foul when putting things back together. SCPB is right about the ires (I used the suggested connector off eBay) and rotated the connection 180 degrees.

The only other problem I had was getting the switchgear/airbag off, there is a hole each side, but there is another hole inside and as I found what will go through the outside may have too great a diameter to go through the inside hole so I ended up using a screwdriver, no problem but you must have the blade horizontal and there are guides, which of course you can't see when dismantling.

Although I have done the mod the shifts don't work (although activated with IIDTool) as mine is a 2009 so will need the ECU reflashing I hope this helps others do this great mod. The first port of call should be the powerful site for a video showing how to remove the steering wheel and fit the paddles. The only thing I would take issue with is the way he removes spokes and refits the paddles - there is no need to be so rough when prising apart. Geoff

Post #348175 17th Sep 2015 11:19am
g1968g

What are the actual benefits of having these paddles. The gear change isn't exactly quick.
Does the car not do a good enough job when driven in "Drive"
You can't chuck it round country roads and need many gear changes, you'll just end up in a ditch on yer roof

or, am I missing something

cheers

Geoff Looking for FFRR

Post #348241 17th Sep 2015 7:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>