Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > Satnav Rant
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

detour for 10 miles or sit in one mile of traffic, i'm with you Ade and rather sit in traffic, i mean what better place than a FF to do that in... Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #343440 20th Aug 2015 1:48pm
Zirconblue

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

I've seen plenty of people who've been sitting in front or or just behind me and turned off to avoid traffic. Only to emerge a few miles further on in much the same place they were to start with! Laughing

Sometimes it works, some times it doesn't, but then the key is to drive the car, not follow the satnav like a lemming. If it's going to divert you and you can see it's not worth it, just ignore it, it'll recalculate it's route when you do.

Post #343457 20th Aug 2015 4:01pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Have to say I'm the opposite; I'd happily keep driving, rather than sit and wait, even if it doesn't gain anything.

Quote:
Sometimes it works, some times it doesn't, but then the key is to drive the car, not follow the satnav like a lemming.

Nail, the, on, hit, head, the. Thumbs Up

It gives me a position on a map and I can look for approaching roads etc., that's all I ask of it; I rarely use the actual navigation. It would be nice if TMC worked well, but I just take it for what it is. Smile Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #343464 20th Aug 2015 4:16pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

A word to the wise about using the "shortest distance" setting on a tomtom, it does exactly what you asked it, and green lanes and river crossings are fair game as far as it's concerned Shocked

I was delivering a trailer to Stoner House a few years ago and Pratt nav took me down a green lane, towing, a trailer that was 8 foot wide, 24 foot long and 10 feet tall Shocked Censored

And another time it tried to take me over a ford, in the winter, water was over the 2 foot mark on the markers and flowing very fast, I bottled that one and had to find a bridge Evil or Very Mad Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #343472 20th Aug 2015 5:26pm
Zirconblue

To be fair the Satnav didn't take you there, it told you where it thought you should go and you believed it. Razz

I do use the satnav, but i do ignore it sometimes, if when i look out the window i can see a better route or don't like the look of the road it was suggesting i use. When i was lorry driving, i quite often had it suggest some totally unsuitable narrow lane, just ignore it and stay on the road you're on and it'll work out a new route.

They're better than having the other half navigate, because when you ignore their advice they don't have a tantrum and go silent. But you should always treat their advice the same as you would from the other half. Laughing

Post #343491 20th Aug 2015 7:18pm
CEEGEE

United Kingdom 

Until last week I was deeply unimpressed by the RR sat nav, but last Tuesday (as a result of the M56 closure and massive congestion around the closure) I used the alternative route feature (keeping an eye on where it was taking me rather than following blindly) and it was very good Thumbs Up

Not sure I am a convert, (still think the VW system in my wife's Passat is generally better), but I'm more impressed than I was.

Post #343503 20th Aug 2015 9:40pm
Zirconblue

I think Land-Rover's problem is they don't have the economies of scale that the likes of VW have, where their satnavs are used in all VAG products with just light cosmetic changes.

It looks like they're getting better now they've standardised the systems across the JLR range. Whereas before the Jaguar and Land-Rover Denso systems were both slightly different, and different again to the Ford systems they were based on. Then you had them designed in such a way that they weren't easily upgradable, so you ended up with the Freelander 2 having a better system than the FFRR of the same age!

These things get out of date quickly, and trying to keep 3 or 4 different systems up to date is too bigger task. It should get better on the current range of vehicles when they get older - doesn't help our older cars.

Post #343505 20th Aug 2015 9:57pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

My buddy over the road has just brought a new tomtom with free life time maps for £75, yes you read that correctly up to date maps for free Shocked Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #343516 20th Aug 2015 11:02pm
ajac8

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

as long as he doesn't use his tom-tom to direct him to his computer - he'll end up in the shed Whistle 405 AB exec seats Baltic and Cirrus
93 RR Classic efi

Remember it's easier to get forgiveness than permission!

Gone in order:
4.4 TDV8 SE - gone to a good home
93 Classic hard dash Plymouth Blue
03 L322 Oslo Blue
2000 Disco TD5 ES Epsom Green
98 P38 Rioja Red
89 Classic Cairngorm Brown

Post #343524 20th Aug 2015 11:33pm
Zirconblue

I think Garmin have always done free map updates. Realistically they know after a few years you'll bin the device and buy a newer one anyway.

Post #343525 20th Aug 2015 11:37pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

At £75 you can afford to bin it every few years, and it still works out cheaper than sticking with OEM. To be fair I might have given the LR system a go, but then I found out that you have to mess about twisting and clicking the destination in, might have been a different story if it was a touch screen Confused Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #343528 20th Aug 2015 11:42pm
Zirconblue

The older touch screen like mine is a bit clunky to type with, but then that may be because i've got used to the modern touch screens on smart phones etc.

Those £75 ones could work out expensive if someone sees the sucker mark on your screen and decides to smash the side window and ransack the interior looking for it. Sad The big advantage of built in ones is they're not really worth trying to steal.

Post #343529 20th Aug 2015 11:50pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

I think you'll find that the slightly used and hot to touch market in sat navs has all but dried up, thanks to the Chinese cheapie's, your not going to get much for second hand hot when you can buy new for £30. Buy my reckoning new £30, genuine s/h £15, hot s/h £7.5 to £5. You'd need a lot of those to feed a habit, even if it was happy meal addiction Laughing

You can buy New tomtom's from £50 Shocked I needed a mortgage to buy the first one Wink

ps, try a non touch screen, you'll soon be lusting after a stick to the windscreen one Wink Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #343530 21st Aug 2015 12:00am
Zirconblue

That's the thing, though smack heads don't care if they only get £5 they're £5 closer to their next fix. Sad

I think the days of the stand alone sat nav are numbered anyway. Most of Tomtoms business now is from selling the map data to third parties, which is what they did before hand. Most people have a smart phone now and they're killing the sales of standalone sat navs, that's why the prices have fallen.

Post #343563 21st Aug 2015 10:13am
SKOT

England 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Bonatti Grey

I do love all the expert views on here. Rolling Eyes

Very entertaining! Laughing 2006 4.2 SC
2019 Renault Zoe Dynamique Nav

Post #343589 21st Aug 2015 11:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>