Home > Technical (L322) > Wipers, Again, I have a few qustions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
miggit

United Kingdom 
Wipers, Again, I have a few qustions

Big Cry Big Cry Wiper died again, this time I was towing Shocked Shocked

I had the wipers on Auto, and they just died, but none of the other settings worked either, but the washers did, and that just made it worse Big Cry

I pulled over and tried positions 1-4 on the stalk and nothing, then tried washers, they worked but the wipers didn't Evil or Very Mad Then turned off the engine and back on, still didn't work. Tried again but turned the stalk to off position before restarting engine and they worked again, for about 25 minutes and then they died again, and I was still towing Shocked Shocked Censored Has got me thinking that it's a 'puter fault Evil or Very Mad Spent the rest of the day using ON or Manual Wipe Sad , but they didn't screw up again, used for probably an hour without incidence.

Question 1, if you leave the wipers in auto when you switch off, what happens when you turn the car back on?

Cos 99% of the time mine do nothing at all, and when it rains and you can't see, I have to turn the stalk off and on to make it work. However on about 3 occasions when I turned on the car the wipers did one sweep and worked flawlessly without touching the stalk..... Gremlins ?

What will happen if I remove the rain sensor?

will I get no wipers or will I get wiper with intermittent wipe, (remember that I have NO IID tool, and it will be even further away if I've got to change the BCM Censored )

Having looked at Rave I'm not much wiser, but I am now beginning to suspect that the Censored Rain sensor is fubar'd, oh and I forgot to say, that sometimes when in auto mode it just stops. You drive along thinking any second now.............. and then I have to manually turn the wipers on and back to auto, and other times it has stopped raining and the Censored Wipers are still waving at me, thought that it might have been road film over the sensor, now I'm thinking that it's just fubar'd. Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #344552 26th Aug 2015 4:27pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

i can answer this one,

Question 1, if you leave the wipers in auto when you switch off, what happens when you turn the car back on?

nothing..its a safety thing so that if the screen/wipers freeze [overnight for instance] then the motor wont burn out when you start up...... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #344554 26th Aug 2015 4:33pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Cheers Buddy, I knew you wouldn't let me down Very Happy But then that still doesn't explain the 3 times it has just worked without any stalk movement Sad Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #344558 26th Aug 2015 4:50pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

I had a similar problem on my 2004 322. I can't remember whether it was a relay or a software fault, but it was fixed without too much expense and did not recur. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #344559 26th Aug 2015 4:51pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

You could always do what swmbo does. Have the wiper in the on position cause its raining, turn off car and leave said wipers wherever they park on the screen. Wait till it has 6 inches of snow on the screen then jump in car, turn ignition and voila, one f'''ed wiper motor Thumbs Up

Post #344560 26th Aug 2015 4:56pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Done the relay last month when this started, I can live with no auto wipers if I've got intermittent. But it could turn a bit nasty if the Censored things keep stopping just when I need them Evil or Very Mad The first time it happened I was in the fast lane of the M25 Shocked Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #344561 26th Aug 2015 5:01pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Agreed it is a nuisance to be without wipers, I had some pretty heavy downpours without them too. That said I am used to motorcycling.
I tried Turtle ClearVue Rain Repellent pending getting it fixed and it was helpful in shedding water, albeit one has to polish it quite hard to avoid being left with a smeary screen.
I had expected it to be the relay, as there seemed to be lots of failure reports, but I think it turned out to be something else, I am afraid I have forgotten what, but as already mentioned it was a cheap fix. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #344562 26th Aug 2015 5:14pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

i wonder if its a dodgy wire in the stalk assembly Paul.... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #344566 26th Aug 2015 5:43pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Stan, very much doubt that, cos the washers were still working, all be it without any movement from the wipers Evil or Very Mad

Something just told the wipers to stop, I was wondering if when Auto is on the sensor has control over the wipers, ie. BCM turns wipers on and the rain sensor turns them on and off. Only I'd imagine that the bong of Doom and the screen of death would join in if it was the BCM.

And as I said the auto system can be erratic sometimes, as there is no "WCU" Shocked they missed one there Laughing , I'm thinking that the rain sensor is on a wind up and looking to be evicted. Having said that they aren't actually that horrendously over priced, I was expecting something nearer the BCM price, but it's only 30% of that Shocked Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #344588 26th Aug 2015 8:07pm
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

Auto wipers are too erratic at faster speed for me so I removed the rain sensor fuse to have intermittent wipers instead.

Post #344613 26th Aug 2015 9:54pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Does that affect your auto headlamps Graeme?

Post #344639 26th Aug 2015 11:51pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Censored Wipers again, today, and I was not using auto wipe Crying or Very sad

I have yet to replace the rain sensor Very Happy and now I'm thinking that it's not at fault, I think it's the BCM Big Cry

Does the BCM control the info on the nav screen? Only every now and the the whole thing has a hiccup, goes blank, displays the Land Rover start up logo, and then goes back to showing what was on the screen before it's hiccup Shocked It can go for days without doing this, sometimes it's only a couple of times before normal service is resumed, and other times it can do it most of the day Evil or Very Mad, every minute, HIC! Shocked

Beginning to wonder if they are linked, by something other than it's a ffrr what do you expect? Laughing Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #346235 5th Sep 2015 5:39pm
Weejock

2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Epsom Green

I'm pretty certain it's the wiper relay that is your problem.
Try checking the relay which is located below the scuttle behind the battery, it's brown in colour.

Click image to enlarge

Remove the relay and shake it, if it rattles it's knackered...although it may not rattle and still be knackered. Remove the relay outer shell (small screwdriver and prise the case off) and check the relay contacts for burning or for a missing contact which may fall out when you separate the case (see the photo below, contacts in the top middle).
Click image to enlarge

The contacts burn out giving intermittent continuity and eventually will fall off, rattle about inside and also cause shorting issues. Usually it just causes the wipers to stop (one of the issues you had) but if the floating burnt contact is shorting different parts of the circuit it's possible it may cause any number of issues.
Mine failed in a downpour while in the outside lane doing 60mph...not nice!
Symptoms are that once the wipers stop they won't come back on again due to the Wiper Motor Blocking Protection.
What's happening is due to a burnt contact in the wiper relay the BCM doesn't detect the wipers are parked, after a period of 16 seconds of not detecting the wipers parked it stops them, it's assumed the wiper mechanism is jammed or blocked and doesn't want the motor to burn out.
According to the WSM they can be restarted again after 3 minutes BUT you have to turn the wipers completely off and on again. They can also be restarted if the ignition is turned on and off. The washers are unaffected, they are separately controlled by the BCM.
Of course although I'm fairly sure it's your issue, it may not be but it's fairly easy to check and re-new the relay although you have to remove the battery to get to it. A new relay is about £10.
(Thanks go to RRPhil for posting details of his repair, saved me a lot of time when I had the same issue and was head scratching!).

As for the screen, control of the Nav splash screen is via the Sat Nav DVD drive in the boot (any graphic is loaded from the DVD). The drive is behind the lift out cover in the boot on the left. It can be effected by water ingress or damp. Try unplugging the connectors and reconnecting, check for damp/condensation or signs of water staining in the compartment. Also check the wheel well for a swimming pool of water although if it's that bad you will get loads of condensation on the windscreen.
The official 'fix' for damp in the compartment was to fit a plastic 'water shed' over the electrics (similar I assume to what you get over speakers in door cards), I don't think it's available anymore and it's not exactly a fix. Water entering the boot compartment is usually due to an aging boot seal or damp can enter via the bumper bar holes (I've fix both and mines been fine since).
When I've had issues with the screen playing up an unplug, removal of the DVD disc, clean and replace has sorted it.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #346296 5th Sep 2015 11:41pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #346297 5th Sep 2015 11:47pm
Richard Gravelle

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Epsom Green
L322 2010 - Wiper Issues - changed Relays and still issue

Hi There,

I am now to the site but have read many posts (very good)!

I have a RR Vogue which is the 2010 model and had the issue with the front wipers (working and then stopping for 3 mins where every they fancy in the cycle).

I look the battery out and found my relays where not behind the battery and i found them under the bonnet the the off side under a cover with other fuses and relays. There are two for the front wipers and I replaced both of them with new ones. The issue is still the same.

Dose anyone have any further advise please?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Richard

Post #365264 4th Jan 2016 5:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>