Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > What should battery voltage be while running
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
mrblonde

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Adriatic Blue
What should battery voltage be while running

Just inquisitive really, bought a plug in battery voltage monitor that plugs into the cigarette lighter, and wondered what the voltage should be?

Post #349506 26th Sep 2015 4:56pm
MR GLOVER

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

i have got one mine shows 14.1

Post #349507 26th Sep 2015 5:13pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Should be around 14.4, they are not very accurate though.... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #349524 26th Sep 2015 7:30pm
kbald

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

My faulty battery showed 14v via the 753 hack and the new one shows as 14.5 so have to assume thats about right!

Post #349531 26th Sep 2015 9:01pm
RR P38

Australia 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

If you are using a lead calcium battery.......and all of us should be.
You most certainly need to be charging in the range of 14.3v otherwise you will get charging issues with calcium batteries.
Mid 14V is what you want to see.

Post #349536 26th Sep 2015 10:20pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Agreed Thumbs Up

Post #349548 27th Sep 2015 12:01am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

kbald wrote:
My faulty battery showed 14v via the 753 hack and the new one shows as 14.5 so have to assume thats about right!

The diagnostics screen voltage is far too inaccurate to be relied upon. Thumbs Up

FWIW, to truly check the alternator output, it actually takes a very good multimeter or even an oscilloscope. A normal multimeter is normally adequate though. Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #349579 27th Sep 2015 9:03am
miggit

United Kingdom 

The real time water temp gauge that I fitted also shows voltage, it's reading between 13.9 and 14 volts. As it's not connected directly to the battery, and its' accuracy is unchecked, I'm not overly worried by the readings that I'm getting.

As long as it's more than 13.5 volts and less than 15 volts there shouldn't be any real concerns, this nonsense that it must be 14.4773432739834542 volts =/- 0.000001 volts is a load of tosh. Providing that there is enough power going in to charge the battery and not too much as to over charge, there is nothing to worry about. I think that this is a strong case of temperature gauge syndrome Shocked

Too Much Information, what was wrong with the little red light?

I just love the way that manufacturers fill their cars up with unnecessary gauges to make them seam better than the others........... G force? Boost temp? Boost pressure? and there are probably a load more out there. It's go faster boys lures Shocked

Voltage is not that important, either it charges or it don't, and a red light is sufficient for this. It's funny how the useful Ammeter ( which shows how much electricity you are using ) has been dropped, as it requires some heavy and long cables to be run and therefore costs more to install.

I know that as ffrr owners we are all conditioned in to worrying about when the ffrr is going to strike next and how financially painful it is going to be, but honestly chaps, it's charging, you turn the key and the engine starts (which is shocking enough) why worry if it's getting 0.5 volts too little. From what you are saying mine is getting 0.7 volts too little, I'm just going to book it in with the stealers and then talk to the Samaritans before impaling myself on a wheel brace Rolling with laughter Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #349587 27th Sep 2015 9:52am
mrblonde

Thanks everyone, its showing 13.7 on a short trip (5-6 miles) and not had the chance to test it over a longer journey (not sure if it will rise the more the battery gets charged?). The battery has ran flat a couple of times due to a faulty FSR so unsure if the battery suffered damaged from draining right down, or if the alternator isnt charging as well as it should. Its never not started (touch wood) recently, and I am thinking of fitting a new battery before the winter just to be sure.

Post #349589 27th Sep 2015 10:03am
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

I have a good quality voltmeter permanently installed connected to the front fuseboard which generally indicates a running voltage of 14.1V to 14.2V. Charges the battery with no problems.
It's interesting that after a run I often see the battery voltage at 12.8V+ due to surface charge which can take 3-4 days before it decays to 12.6V and stays there.

Post #349590 27th Sep 2015 10:07am
mrblonde

Thanks Nicedayforit, and you have no problems starting with it sat at 12.6v after a few days? I've not measured the voltage before starting her, but will see later today.

Like I said its only a crude plug in thing from eBay, so not expecting too much accuracy, just working out if i need a new battery for the winter I guess

Post #349592 27th Sep 2015 10:15am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

miggit wrote:
I think that this is a strong case of temperature gauge syndrome Shocked

What is exactly? Question

Quote:
Voltage is not that important, either it charges or it don't...

Fron a charging perspective, yes, sort of. When it really matters though is for ECUs that can be extremely sensitive to voltage, and it becomes the difference between normal functioning and all hell breaking loose... Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #349598 27th Sep 2015 10:54am
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

@mrblonde.

No problems at all starting with it sat for a few days at 12.6V.
The longest it has been left is 2 weeks and although the voltage had dropped to 12.5V the car started first go.
To be honest I would expect a car to start with 12.0V, particularly at this time of year or warmer.
I think the only time you definitely need 12.6V is during the winter on a particularly cold morning.
I wouldn't expect total accuracy with the voltmeter you are using I had the same initially and it consistently read 0.2V low.
The do give you an indication though. Thumbs Up

Post #349600 27th Sep 2015 11:00am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

12.6V is a fully charged battery, so that's what you want to be seeing. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #349602 27th Sep 2015 11:09am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Lost for Words, temperature gauge syndrome........ the Range Rover temp gauge is controlled by the ecu and has no direct connection to the engine, so far mine has read "Normal" from 70 deg. C to 98.6 deg. C and not moved a hairs width.

Land Rover did this to stop complaints that the temp gauge was all over the shop. This is however not the best thing in my case as I do push the car to it's limits towing 3+ tons on a regular basis, time is money and knowing when to ease off rather that push on is helpful in not destroying my car, also knowing when it's a good idea to fire up the heater full blast is helpful to the engine / gearbox. Although driving with the heater on full tilt in the middle of the summer is not to be recommended Shocked, but it does stop it all going Pete Tong.

And I can confirm that the ECU's are fussy about their voltage, as my car sits at 11.5 volts on the gauge, and every now and then throws up a HDC fault on the screen of Doom, and yes I will probably need a new battery when the cold weather arrives. But it was throwing up the HDC fault all last winter, but carried on starting, and working Shocked , and now that I have a voltage gauge I can see the route cause of the HDC fault (very common), but as the car is still starting, I am in no rush to panic buy a battery. I'd rather keep the money in the bank, and get the last squeak of the pig Wink . And with that statement my car will never start again Thud Banging Head Shocked Big Cry Censored Censored Battery Rolling with laughter Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #349604 27th Sep 2015 11:24am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>