Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > Taxing a new car question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
markcaughey

Scotland 2006 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue
Taxing a new car question

i have just picked up my new car and went online to tax it, however its saying i need to pay from 1st October ! This seems a bit of a rip off as i need to pay for the full months tax even though i bought the car on the 29th plus the previous owner won't get refunded for October as they sold it within the month so its not 1 full month. My question is can i wait until Sunday to tax so that us into November ? Range Rover Vogue 2006 4.4 AJV8 | Buckingham Blue | Parchment Leather | Supercharged Grill+Side Vents | CA02 HEY ( NOT 02 PLATE )

Post #354699 30th Oct 2015 11:48am
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

SORN it now and then tax it on the 1st November. Thumbs Up

Post #354700 30th Oct 2015 12:01pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

as david says...you cant leave it un-taxed till next month cos the authority's will think you are using it, so sorn till then and then tax it.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #354703 30th Oct 2015 12:54pm
Full Fat Ray

Wales 2006 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Agree this is a rip -off, that clever Mr Osborne introduced it when he abolished tax discs last year Twisted Evil Twisted Evil - effectively they stand to gain a months VED on every car sold unless you SORN it until the first day of the next month Big Cry Big Cry (and don't even think about using it untaxed, the DVLA have installed hundreds of ANPR cameras to catch you (on black poles at major road junctions). Big Cry Big Cry 2006 (56 Reg) 4.4 V8 Vogue In Bonatti Grey (Gorgeous!!)

Post #354748 30th Oct 2015 9:26pm
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

But, surely, that was how the old system worked, too?

You taxed a vehicle and the tax was always effective from the start of the month regardless of how near to the next month you were as it was assumed you were using the vehicle with immediate effect.

As regards the tax refund, the seller will be reimbursed pro-rata for every full month remaining. A few days left in any one month isn't going to be a huge amount. He was clearly using it during October, so why should he be refunded for that month anyway?

Like others have said, SORN it and enjoy your driving from today. Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #354839 1st Nov 2015 3:35am
oldcro

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Stornoway Grey

In future buy on the First of the month, then buyer gets a full month and seller gets a full month.

Post #354847 1st Nov 2015 12:17pm
markcaughey

Scotland 2006 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue

cheers guys, taxed the car this morning. As for trying to SORN it i did try this but it wouldn't allow it as i was using the new keeper reference number and it said they dvla has not yet been informed there has been a keeper change. So i have taxed it this morning from the 1 November. If anything comes of it i will say i attempted to SORN but was not able Range Rover Vogue 2006 4.4 AJV8 | Buckingham Blue | Parchment Leather | Supercharged Grill+Side Vents | CA02 HEY ( NOT 02 PLATE )

Post #354848 1st Nov 2015 12:20pm
Full Fat Ray

Wales 2006 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

@Bellini, the difference between the old and the new system is this. Under the OLD system, the seller could transfer the tax disc with the car, and tax was NOT then due for the new owner until the disc had expired, agreed if the seller wanted a refund on the disc it was no different to the new system. However, comma, many private sellers used to include the tax disc, now you CAN'T do this, so the government are ripping us off yet again. Big Cry Big Cry 2006 (56 Reg) 4.4 V8 Vogue In Bonatti Grey (Gorgeous!!)

Post #355738 7th Nov 2015 4:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1