Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Will a main dealer discuss a previously sold car with me?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Avi

2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Alveston Red
Will a main dealer discuss a previously sold car with me?

I imagine they probably wouldn;t be interested really, but A FFRR i'm looking at looks like it was traded in , and last sold by Marshalls of Peterborough in March. They were also the last to MOT it.

They have also done one of the previous MOTs, and i suspect they have serviced it. Are they likely to tell me any work that has been carried out to it ?

It did initially fail an MOT :

Quote:
Reason(s) for refusal to issue Certificate

Offside Headlamp aim too low (1.Cool

Parking brake lever has no reserve travel (3.1.6b)

Offside Rear Lower Suspension arm has excessive play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.3)

Parking brake efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.1b)

Advisory Notice issued

Windscreen has damage to an area less than a 10mm circle within zone 'A' (8.3.1a)

Windscreen has damage to an area less than a 40mm circle outside zone 'A' (8.3.1d)

But then passed a week later.

I do wonder why the current owner has now traded it in somewhere else so quickly though. Every car i come accross seems to have something i feel i need to question.Sad

Cheers

Andy

Post #33557 25th Oct 2010 6:59pm
47p2

Scotland 

It can't do any harm to ask the dealership. I find the staff at the parts department are the best ones to ask these sort of questions, they always come back with an answers, where if you ask the head mechanic they never tell you anything

Post #33558 25th Oct 2010 7:10pm
delamo

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Tonga Green

Its normal for a car to have some kind of failures when in for an MOT test - nothing on the failure list is any cause for great concern providing it has all been repaired.

Likely the previous owner was having his tested/serviced and happened to fall into the showroom and decide to (get talked into Whistle ) buying a replacement car - I took my old TD6 in for a routine service and ended up buying a TDV8.

I'm sure the garage concerned would be obliging and provide you information on the service and maintenance history of a specific vehicle if you are considering buying it, without any problem.

You will probably want to confirm it has had the 'diff recall' issue completed anyway...

...what Range Rover have you found now Avi?

Post #33560 25th Oct 2010 7:12pm
Avi

delamo wrote:
Its normal for a car to have some kind of failures when in for an MOT test - nothing on the failure list is any cause for great concern providing it has all been repaired.

Likely the previous owner was having his tested/serviced and happened to fall into the showroom and decide to (get talked into Whistle ) buying a replacement car - I took my old TD6 in for a routine service and ended up buying a TDV8.

I'm sure the garage concerned would be obliging and provide you information on the service and maintenance history of a specific vehicle if you are considering buying it, without any problem.

You will probably want to confirm it has had the 'diff recall' issue completed anyway...

...what Range Rover have you found now Avi?

Thanks both, I may try giving them a call. I do sometimes feel i'm too over cautious. I'm looking at 55/06 facelifted one's so the diff issue shouldn't be an issue.

The only 2 i can find at the minute that are possibilities are these:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/adv...?logcode=p

http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/2137051.htm

The PH Red one is the one i'm trying to unravel the history of as it has 5 owners. So far i've worked out:

07/2005 - Registered to Land Rover
10/2005 - Registered to Mr W who put his plate on it (Which now shows on a TDV8 so he still likes the FFRRs)
08/2007 - Registered to ?? - plate went back to original
03/2010 - MOT at Main Dealer
04/2008 - Registered to Mr Y - who put his plate on it. (Now on a land cruiser - boo!! )
03/2009 - MOT at Independent Garage
02/2010 - Traded in to Main Dealer - plate went back to original.
03/2010 - MOT at Main Dealer
03/2010 - Registered to Mr Z
10/2010 - Traded in to Independent Dealer who mainly sells ferraris/astons so i would imagine they don;t keep sheds in stock.

MOTs all check out/Mileage etc. I really like the colour, and if i could get a good price, then i think i would still consider it even though it has a few owners. I just want to make sure it;s not because of a recurring fault that it keeps getting swapped around.

Post #33575 25th Oct 2010 7:40pm
delamo

Neutral Not sure about the silver one on the autotrader ad...

...looking at the side profile pictures of drivers side, the doors are two different shades of silver (may just be the photo quality, or lighting conditions) ... but other trim tweaks would make me suspicious Whistle

Post #33578 25th Oct 2010 7:47pm
Avi

delamo wrote:
Neutral Not sure about the silver one on the autotrader ad...

...looking at the side profile pictures of drivers side, the doors are two different shades of silver (may just be the photo quality, or lighting conditions) ... but other trim tweaks would make me suspicious Whistle

yeah i had wondered about the door but its probably worth a look as its not far from me. I guess a lot of people did the supercharger grille upgrade. I don't know if the stormers are genuine though.. not sure how to tell.

The red one is a 2 hour trip though. I'm off work tomorrow so need to decide whether it's worth the trip.

Post #33581 25th Oct 2010 7:58pm
delamo

Exclamation Just looked at that silver one again - I am not a gambling man but I bet you it has had paint on the front end recently Rolling Eyes

If I were you Avi - if you have any doubts then go with your instincts - never buy a car because its the only one available - once again, you will know when you find the right car - you will kick yourself if any doubts are proved correct once you buy the wrong car...

Patience Wink

Edit - Genuine wheels will have the raised Land Rover logo and Part number embossed on the reverse side of the wheels (usually on one of the spokes)

Last edited by delamo on 25th Oct 2010 8:06pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #33582 25th Oct 2010 8:00pm
Avi

delamo wrote:
Exclamation Just looked at that silver one again - I am not a gambling man but I bet you it has had paint on the front end recently Rolling Eyes

If I were you Avi - if you have any doubts then go with your instincts - never buy a car because its the only one available - once again, you will know when you find the right car - you will kick yourself if any doubts are proved correct once you buy the wrong car

Wise words no doubt. It just seems that everything i've come across i have a doubt. 3 months of looking makes me think i can't get one for 20k without going for a pre facelift Crying or Very sad

Post #33584 25th Oct 2010 8:05pm
iT LAD

United Kingdom 

Yep delamo speak sense...

It's so hard isn't it to find the right FFRR...

It will happen, be patient... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Good Luck.

Post #33586 25th Oct 2010 8:10pm
Avi

iT LAD wrote:
Yep delamo speak sense...

It's so hard isn't it to find the right FFRR...

It will happen, be patient... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Good Luck.

Haha .. thanks. I don't quite think i can stretch to the constantly extending budget like you though. Wink

Post #33588 25th Oct 2010 8:13pm
iT LAD

United Kingdom 

I have saved hard over the years... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #33624 25th Oct 2010 10:18pm
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Took me 27 years of saving before I bought my first FFRR, but it was a new L322 a year after launch as I didn't want a P38. Dealership couldn't believe it - striaght from a Freelander TD4 to a FFRR! I had already done Disco1 V8iES, Disco2 TD5 Auto and Freelander TD4 while saving for the FFRR, so iTlad there is time yet! Every time I had enough dosh saved not to need a whacking big loan LR would hike the price taking the car just out of reach financially, so I bit the bullet in the end and used a PCP to buy it....... now I cannot kick the habit! I drove my first Classic in Dubai in June 1976, it was a 3 door in white and aircon wasn't even an option so there was an aftermarket roof mounted unit, that was one of the first RR's in Dubai and I only drove it for 5 miles from the wharf to the dealers. That was enough to make me want one of my own one day - that day was September 1 2003. 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #33659 25th Oct 2010 10:44pm
iT LAD

United Kingdom 

@ Tim Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #33668 25th Oct 2010 10:52pm
Avi

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Took me 27 years of saving before I bought my first FFRR, but it was a new L322 a year after launch as I didn't want a P38. Dealership couldn't believe it - striaght from a Freelander TD4 to a FFRR! I had already done Disco1 V8iES, Disco2 TD5 Auto and Freelander TD4 while saving for the FFRR, so iTlad there is time yet! Every time I had enough dosh saved not to need a whacking big loan LR would hike the price taking the car just out of reach financially, so I bit the bullet in the end and used a PCP to buy it....... now I cannot kick the habit! I drove my first Classic in Dubai in June 1976, it was a 3 door in white and aircon wasn't even an option so there was an aftermarket roof mounted unit, that was one of the first RR's in Dubai and I only drove it for 5 miles from the wharf to the dealers. That was enough to make me want one of my own one day - that day was September 1 2003.

Technically i've also been saving for 27 years sine my Grandad opened me an account whe i was 2. LOL.. I've never completely emptied my savings. at least some of it has been sat there waiting for the right RR to come along Laughing

Post #33685 25th Oct 2010 11:07pm
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I also managed to buy a TVR SEAC while I was saving for the FFRR - the wedge with wings and a 3.9 Buick V8 engine from a Range Rover bored out to 5.2 litres.................. RWD and no fancy electronic calming aids. If it rained while I was out in it I used to have to drive home at about 25mph to prevent aquaplaning and exiting sternfirst through a hedge. I sold the car after 9 months as I was going to marine school and needed something that could handle wet weather and winter snow so bought a nice wee 1.1litre Fiesta - much more sensible and handled the snow really well. The TVR could do a doughnut in 4th gear easily with so much power in a car that weighed in at something like 800kgs with no weight except me over the rear wheels. It's the first and only RWD car I have owned and certainly killed any desire to have a Porsche 911 like most of my college mates were buying with their bonuses for working out in the Gulf. 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #33689 25th Oct 2010 11:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1