Home > Off Topic > Charidee Mate!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dantheman

United Kingdom 
Charidee Mate!

Hi guys,

Please excuse the scattergun approach, but I'm trying to get this out sharpish to as many as possible:

This event was looking like it would not have to be cancelled (originally 12 participants, dropped down to 6 and sponsorship/assistance being largely unsuccessful), but we've just decided that we're going to go balls out and go for it anyway!

I am part of a team of 9 taking part a charity event: to cycle the distance from Kandahar Airfield in Afghanistan to Newcastle-upon-Tyne. A distance of some 5753km non-stop over 72 hrs on exercise bikes. The charities we intend to raise money for are as follows:

1 Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal
2 Army Benevolent Fund
3 REME Benevolent Fund
4 Yeomanry Benevolent Fund

I have started justgiving pages to collect for the RBL Poppy Appeal, and ABF which can be found here:

http://www.justgiving.com/spinningfox-poppy

http://www.justgiving.com/spinningfox-abf

The other charities will be collected for over the event, which will be held @ the Metrocentre (Green Mall - by the entrance), Gateshead. Sponsorship has been very hard to come across, so anything you can do to help/donate would be much appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Dan

Post #33756 26th Oct 2010 1:37pm
andyw

England 2002 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zermatt Silver

good luck,
are u army (reme) by any chance Wink even without the obviouse clues.

i have not heard the term "Scattergun aproach" or "were going balls out" in any of my travells apart from in the green skin.

i think they are a fantastic expresion and hits the nail on the head every time Thumbs Up 02 Range Rover HSE Zambezie silver 4.4

Last edited by andyw on 26th Oct 2010 7:31pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #33825 26th Oct 2010 6:15pm
dantheman

United Kingdom 

Thanks Andy - we're gonna need it! Shocked

Yeah, right on both counts btw! Thumbs Up

Post #33834 26th Oct 2010 6:48pm
dantheman

United Kingdom 

Looking good (ish) chaps. Was in with my physio today for a review since starting lower limb programme 6 weeks ago. Single leg press (1rm) has increased 45% from 110kg to 160kg! Very Happy

Now looking forward to thrashing myself this weekend - just hoping the legs will hold out!

Post #34678 2nd Nov 2010 11:38pm
dantheman

United Kingdom 

Evening troops!

Shameless plugging I know: but tomorrow is the big day. We start to chip away at a bloody great 5753km at the Metrocentre, tomorrow at 10 am. Hoping to attract a fair amount of donors through footfall over the weekend, but again, if you are not in the area and wish to sponsor a bunch of fools with a penchant for inflicting self-harm in the name of the Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal, or the Army Benevolent Fund - both of which are very deserving causes - please see the links here:

http://www.justgiving.com/spinningfox-poppy

http://www.justgiving.com/spinningfox-abf

We will be updating these pages over the weekend with pictures of the team and our supporters grafting away, and will also post progress reports.

Additionally, I would be extremely grateful if you could pass these links on to other friends/families/colleagues who may wish to help us raise money in order to help serving/ex service personnel and their families who need help from these charities.

Again, thanks for taking the time to read this - and I hope to see some of you over the weekend (I'll be the guy cutting about with the "John Wayne" swagger). Big Cry

Cheers,

Dan

Post #34932 5th Nov 2010 12:10am
dantheman

United Kingdom 

Update:

We're absolutely chinstrapped! Started at 10am yesterday, and we've smashed out a massive 3779km - with a still substantial 1973km left to crack. Our backsides feel like they've been through a prison shower! Shocked

The public have been great in their support,and spurred us on no end! Their sponsorship at the venue and well-wishes are much appreciated. Please check out the justgiving pages below for an update and pictures of the event so far!

Do LR sell inflatable rings?

Cheers - Dan

Post #35078 6th Nov 2010 9:17pm
dantheman

United Kingdom 

Update: 12 Nov 10

Evening all! A while since my last update I know, but I was waiting for fundraising totals so far to be counted after completion.

So, how did we do? The target was hit on Sunday Afternoon, and we wrapped up the show on Sunday evening - in total 6471.95km was cycled. Thanks again to the guys and girls who came by to join us on the bikes: big relief from a mega sore arse! Through the week, tins and buckets have been counted. Totals raised in the Metrocentre over the weekend are as follows:

RBL Poppy Appeal £3071.33

ABF £1150.88

REME Benevolent Fund £808.33

Yeomanry Benevolent Fund £541.42

Thanks again to everyone who came by and offered their support, and all who kindly donated and helped us raise this amount for these deserving charities.

Regards - Dan

Last edited by dantheman on 12th Nov 2010 8:53pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #35937 12th Nov 2010 8:44pm
iT LAD

United Kingdom 

Congratulations Dan... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Well done mate...

Post #35938 12th Nov 2010 8:49pm
dantheman

United Kingdom 

Cheers mate - if they suggest using those bikes again next year...

I'll cry! Big Cry

Arse is now returning to normal.

Post #35941 12th Nov 2010 8:55pm
andyw

England 2002 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zermatt Silver

well done mate go get a long cold drink at the pub lol true grit and balls out Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 02 Range Rover HSE Zambezie silver 4.4

Post #36028 14th Nov 2010 12:02am
dantheman

United Kingdom 

Thanks Andy! Just back from a couple of cold ones with some of the lads from work - had to stay sober the whole day unfortunately. A mighty fine pint though!

One year I'll ensure I've got the day off after Remembrance Sunday so I can stop for a beer after the service, and not have to drive back to work. Smile

Post #36161 15th Nov 2010 1:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1