Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > TPMS Retrofit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue
TPMS Retrofit

Our 2012 AB doesn't have TPMS fitted to it but the 2007 VSE that we used to have did.

The SC had TPMS fitted to it but it has been disabled by a previous owner. Is it possible to take the sensors from the 4 wheel arches from the SC and fit them to the AB? Is there one in the spare wheel can? Would the same be possible with the TPMS module?

Obviously the AB would need to have the TPMS enabling with an IID Tool afterwards.

Secondly, where is the TPMS module in the car?

Thanks in advance Thumbs Up

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #356801 14th Nov 2015 12:57am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Shocked The TPMS is like this

And sits inside the tyre, there is nothing in the arches Thumbs Up

Whether your AB has a TPMS receiver or not I don't know, but I'm sure that someone will tell you. You can buy the sensors that go inside the wheels in sets from ebay and the like, I remember something on here a while ago (beginning of year) about the TPMS sensors, do a search. There was a massive difference between genuine LR and the same thing by a different make, but not to say that they didn't come from the same factory but with different labels Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #356812 14th Nov 2015 2:06am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Look Very Happy

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic34667.html Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #356813 14th Nov 2015 2:14am
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

There is a receiver inside each wheel arch it's an oval metal arial thingy and the subsequent wiring harness to connect them all to the module and there is a fifth receiver somewhere in the roof lining or near the rear view mirror I believe . 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #356817 14th Nov 2015 3:28am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Given the number of people that have had issues with the factory TPMS, I'm not sure why you'd want to bother....

I assume the other car had it disabled for a reason - I can't see why you'd switch it off if it was functioning perfectly.

There is a sensor for each wheel in the arch and spare wheel tray and also a control module somewhere.

Sorry I can't be more help - mine was a problematic one and was disabled with IID - my L405 doesn't have it Thumbs Up

Post #356850 14th Nov 2015 11:23am
dhallworth

We had a blow out in the SC when towing the trailer with a car on it up the A1 last year.

It destroyed a Continental tyre with 5000 miles on it. It appears that we managed to pick up a nail from somewhere and the tyre slowly deflated along the way. The first we knew about it was a roar at 50mph. There was nothing at all felt in the car so I was convinced that it was the trailer tyre that had gone.

I had to unhitch the trailer from the car on the hard shoulder on the 2 lane part of the A1 around Doncaster, then jack the RR up. Not something that was fun to do. If I put 4 new sensors in the wheels on the AB and then took the receivers and modules from the SC it would enable it on the AB hopefully.

My folks use the AB for caravaning once a year so would rather fit this with the hope it'd give them some warning of it loosing pressure rather then them having to do what I did.

On our old 2007 the system worked very well so here's hoping it'll be ok on the AB too.

Post #356855 14th Nov 2015 11:34am
47p2

Scotland 

The BMW Mini uses the ABS system to monitor tyre pressure. If pressure loss in any tyre occurs the difference in diameter of the tyre throws a fault on the dashboard. No sensors, no faffing about just blow up the tyres and set the system and it works

Post #356857 14th Nov 2015 11:40am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Shocked No wonder they play up, I have an after market system which consists of 4 sensors, one in each wheel and a receiver on the dash, which shows all the tyre pressures and temperatures in real time. From what I have gathered it is way better than the factory system as I can see which tyre is low, or too hot, which is better than driving down the road and being told there is a tyre problem and having to stop. Although I'd rather that than finding out on the first round about that you come upon Shocked

That was why I fitted the system in the first place Thumbs Up

I think the makers of my kit do a version that can be integrated in to a later ffrr..............

http://www.steel-mate.co.uk/acatalog/Tyre_...oring.html

The system that I got is no longer available, but there are a few options here. When I got my system I was told that the valve monitor caps didn't like pressures over 30 psi, and the professional in wheel sensor was a better option, which was fine as that was what I went to buy in the first place Laughing I would suggest that if you have rse then it may be possible to integrate a Pro system, failing that the plug in lighter monitor or android version will work, but you will need either a friendly tyre place or access to tyre fitting equipment to install Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #356859 14th Nov 2015 11:51am
miggit

United Kingdom 

dhallworth wrote:
We had a blow out in the SC when towing the trailer with a car on it up the A1 last year.

It destroyed a Continental tyre with 5000 miles on it. It appears that we managed to pick up a nail from somewhere and the tyre slowly deflated along the way. The first we knew about it was a roar at 50mph. There was nothing at all felt in the car so I was convinced that it was the trailer tyre that had gone.

I had a similar thing happen on the A5, picked up what I thought was a stone, for a few miles. then it all went quirt, thought that the road was badly tram lined and discovered that I'd covered about 3 miles on a flat tyre when I hit the first round about Shocked that was a clean under pants needed moment Shocked

I didn't know anything until I got to the R/B, and I too destroyed a less than 5000 mile old tyre Big Cry If I had known that the tyre was flat / going down I'd have changed it and got the puncture fixed, but, I had to buy another tyre Big Cry Censored Censored Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #356863 14th Nov 2015 12:03pm
Alistair

dhallworth wrote:

Fair enough Thumbs Up

I'd still question why the system was disabled though - there must have been some sort of issue....

There are plenty of after market kits like the ones miggit linked to - some that will do the trailer wheels & temps too - I'd be more inclined to go with something like that than try to retrofit a LR product Whistle

Post #356897 14th Nov 2015 3:59pm
dhallworth

The Golf R32 I had used the ABS system to detect the tyre pressures, a much better system then these valves!

My bad... meant to say it was the AB that had the blow out, now the SC!

The AB has never had TMPS fitted from the factory which is why I want to retrofit it.

I would imagine the SC either had it turned off because the valves failed, or when the 2012 conversion was carried out as the wheels were changed.

If I buy 4 genuine sensors for the AB and fit them, then try with the parts from the SC to finish it off then it won't cost to much to try.

Failing that, I'll fit the 4 sensors back to the SC and switch it back on.

Here's the tyre that blew out on the AB:

Click image to enlarge

The heat in the wheel after it blew out was phenomenal!

Land Rover came up with the Trailair system a while ago that monitors both the car and trailer tyres, unfortunately though you can't get in touch with them, they seem to have disappeared!

Post #356903 14th Nov 2015 5:14pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Just don't bother is my advice, TPMS is always problematic, I hated it and so glad my SC AB doesn't have it. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #356906 14th Nov 2015 5:30pm
Alistair

If you really want to do it, then get it working on the old car first - do you have an IID to re-enable it ?

Let me know if you need TPMS valves - I have some in my garage Thumbs Up

I'm with Adam - I think the whole system is a pile of Censored and I'm glad my L405 hasn't got it.

I saw Craig had posted that they just introduced a new system for MY16 - let's hope that one is better

Post #356929 14th Nov 2015 7:27pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

This very similar to mine, the only difference is my display is a small unit , looks like a stunted sat nav, and requires wiring in to the car, this one just plugs in to the cig lighter, which I assume is still in the console near the gear select, and would be easy to see Thumbs Up

And it will cost less that 2 sensors from LR Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

http://www.steel-mate.co.uk/acatalog/TP-03...tml#SID=31 Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #356974 15th Nov 2015 1:41am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1