Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Anyone ever tried the 'Sprint Booster' on an L322 or L405?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RRVSE

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Corris Grey
Anyone ever tried the 'Sprint Booster' on an L322 or L405?

Hi guys, I was surfing e-bay and noticed this after market product for cars including Range Rovers...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sprint-Booster-f...SwyQtVpPhL

It sits 'in-line' on the accelerator pedal, i.e. unplug current fly-by-wire connection , plug this in its place and plug original connector into this new one . It's supposed to remove the lag between pressing the accelerator and the engine responding. I like the idea as currently I seem to get a delay in response in normal 'D'rive mode (Sport mode is ok) and I'm sure the response isn't as quick as it was. I even queried it at the Main dealer to see if it had 'learnt' to be slower (as these are supposed to learn your driving style I think) as I am currently stuck in a daily 31 mile run to work on the M60 in 50mph average speed cameras followed by a temporary 40mph limit , both to be there for several years to come. I then even thought there may be an issue with the torque converter as a few times in sport mode it seemed to judder when I suddenly accelerated which it hadn't before , but would not expect the converter to fail on a car with 21k miles on it.
Anyone aware of the sprint booster unit or tried it on an L322 or L405 ? Steve

Main car : FFRR L405 Vogue SDV8
Other car : Vauxhall Lotus Carlton
Past cars : FFRR L322 Vogue TD6 SE (Sept 2006 MY07) ; LandCruiser SWB ; 4-Runner ; Supras; XJS V12 LeMans

Post #360045 2nd Dec 2015 1:17am
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

The lag in large diesels more likely comes from the spool up time of turbos .. Before spool up ,, many engines are fairly gutless. Doesn't really matter how you frig the throttle input ,, the actual power delivery from the engine will not really change as the turbo still needs to spool up ..

I imagine the way that device works is to make the low thrthrottle demands appear bigger than they are to the engine .. Essentially the same s just pressing the pedal harder.

driving in sport mode will keep higher revs on the engine and greatly reduce spool up time mamaking the response better .. .. In normal driving mode the systeIm truss to be as eco as possible by upshifting to higher gears and lower revs.the low revs drop the engine out of boost. When you then ask for acceleration ,, you hit the lag of spool up time.
.. V8 or else ...

Post #360051 2nd Dec 2015 8:19am
Pvw10

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Firenze Red

I had one of these on my Saab Turbo and it was amazing.

Not sure if this make is the same but it was basically a "quick action throttle". Best way I can explain it is it did in 25mm what the std does in 50mm so hardly any throttle was required but was much better in daily use. Once you got used to it it was ace, not jerky just felt far quicker than before with no real down side that I found.

Mine was DTUK unit but they don't do one for the FF sadly but I'm interested in this one if its the same idea.

Seems a lot of money, worth it Mmm 50/50. Many thanks
Paul

Post #360118 2nd Dec 2015 5:43pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

They do work, a mate had one on his Merc a few years ago.... BUT.... you spend £200 on something you plug into the throttle that then has a switch to turn it on and off when you said above that yours was fine in Sport mode....

Why not just run it in sport mode all the time? a few years ago when I had a Lexus LS430 I ran that in sport mode all the time, it was like a different car and even did better mpg....

Just a thought.... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #360168 2nd Dec 2015 9:39pm
JasM

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

The lag is mostly down to the fact that it starts off from a standstill in 2nd gear when in D. I get round this by using the flappy paddles and putting it in 1st when at a standstill.

I haven't tried the sport mode yet, I might give it a shot. 2014 SDV8 Autobiography Cool

Gone: 2012 RRS SDV6 HSE, 2007 RRS TDV6 HSE

Post #360240 3rd Dec 2015 12:28pm
RRVSE

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Corris Grey

Hi Guys, thanks for all the replies. I do use sport mode fairly often but have always assumed there is a MPG payoff as obviously it is holding gears longer before changing up etc so I tend to sue it when I am in busy fast flowing traffic or want to accelerate more quickly than normal.
@JasM - I didn't realise that it defaulted to 2nd gear from standstill in normal drive mode - mines the SDV8 with 8 speed, is it true for all post BMW engines? (I'll check later today anyway when I go out). In which case I could select 1st gear on the paddles, but by the time I set off, wouldn't it have defaulted back to normal 'D' and 2nd gear anyway? (I know mine times out after a set period if you stop using the paddles and switches back to either 'D' or 'S' mode, depending what you were in at the time) Steve

Main car : FFRR L405 Vogue SDV8
Other car : Vauxhall Lotus Carlton
Past cars : FFRR L322 Vogue TD6 SE (Sept 2006 MY07) ; LandCruiser SWB ; 4-Runner ; Supras; XJS V12 LeMans

Post #360278 3rd Dec 2015 4:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1