Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
miggit

United Kingdom 

Haylands wrote:
Censored off miggit....

Shocked Shocked I didn't say the 'C' word, that's not very friendly Sad

You know I suggested a moving avatar....... you might want to try the and recreate this shot for the middle pic...........
Click image to enlarge
 Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #360316 3rd Dec 2015 8:07pm
Rangeyman

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

had my mot last February and the day after the brakes went to the floor on the drive after noticing they wernt quite right on the way home from the mot.Not the flexis but pipes behind the covers.I spoke to the tester when taking my van last month and he told me a story of the same thing to another FF with a trailer who crashed with no brakes straight after leaving the mot .With that in mind and adding up those types of situations nationwide that is a lot of dangerous vehicles leaving mot stations that are as unroadworthy as they come ,these covers should be removed for mot to inspect pipes as an absolute must !!

Post #360339 3rd Dec 2015 10:18pm
ije44

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Barolo Black

Rangeyman, I'm in complete agreement. Not just RR's but any vehicle and in particular, HGV's and PSV's.

V8Noise, never heard of the under tray being an advisory for being in the way, interesting.

Thanks guys.

Ian

Post #360435 4th Dec 2015 8:00pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

The easiest way of curing the problem is to get Brussels to ban steel brake pipes, would cost the manufactures about a fiver to up grade to rot proof, and would go along way to improving road safety Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #360462 5th Dec 2015 12:09am
Zirconblue

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

ije44 wrote:

V8Noise, never heard of the under tray being an advisory for being in the way, interesting.

I've seen it on quite a few test certificates, it's basically a backside covering advisory by the tester. So many cars have almost everything hidden behind plastic shields these days.

Post #360465 5th Dec 2015 12:21am
Zirconblue

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

Rangeyman wrote:
these covers should be removed for mot to inspect pipes as an absolute must !!

Trouble is so many cars have plastic covers on everything it would take for ever to remove them all, and chances are a lot of the fixings will break when they do. Would make for expensive MOT's with the labour involved, because the industry will want the test fee raised to cover it.

As you say though, the answer is to get copper pipes (or rather Kunifer) made compulsory on new vehicles. I know in some markets (one of the Australian territories is an example I think) Copper brake pipes aren't legal, but i would expect stainless steel would be an option, chances are they'd be cheaper than anything with copper in it too.

I suppose the plastic covers are a double edged sword though, i mean while they do hide rotten pipes, they also offer protection for the pipes from the elements, so they would go rotten much more quickly if they were uncovered from new. It's like plastic wheel arch liners, you rarely see cars with rotted front wings these days, but you used to see loads before manufacturers started fitting arch liners.

Post #360468 5th Dec 2015 12:27am
ije44

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Barolo Black

Morning guys,

Just a little update for you all on this brake pipe issue.
I had a phone discussion with the selling dealer today.
He first started out by saying the MOT inspector must have just 'missed' this one pipe. When I explained to him that all four sides were corroded to the point of failure and missing all four was impossible, he didn't toss in any more arguments. He has agreed to pay for all of the pipework to be replaced.
A result financially in one respect but doesn't get around the fact that the day before I was barrelling along at motorway speeds blissfully unaware of the impending potential disaster.
Being that the car had been MOT'd so recently I kind of trusted that all was well from a safety standpoint. A lesson learn't there.

Thanks to everyone who commented.

Ian

Post #360505 5th Dec 2015 12:59pm
SMUTT

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

There is too much conflict of interest between the dealer and the garage they use (sometimes their own) on a regular basis to pass cars. Therefore I have always felt suspicious of dealers promising Full MOT on used cars.

I feel a good independent route would be to have presented to say a local council run MOT station and then agree works with the Dealer. Howard

Post #360506 5th Dec 2015 1:17pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Good news on who's paying...

A lot of cars develop a leak when on the brake testing rollers for MOT (please lets not start another argument on whether you can roller test an FF or not...!!!) the tester will hit the brakes much harder than you will during normal driving...

It really does pay to "drive your car like you stole it" every now and again, wait until it is nice and warm and then give it a few full throttle acceleration starts, take it to the red line in each gear, (maybe not the top couple unless your on an autobahn...) then brake hard a few times.... this won't harm your FF at all, it was designed to do this... what it will do is pick up any impending problems and give it an exercise...

After all cars are like people (some people even give them names, but that's just weird Rolling Eyes ) and taking it to the gym now and again does it some good, go all the time and you'll wear it out... see... just like people.... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #360514 5th Dec 2015 2:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12