Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L405) > Dynamic cruise control and using voice commands
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
d3rm0

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Indus Silver
Dynamic cruise control and using voice commands

When I use the cruise control and try to make an outbound call using voice control, any interaction with the car, either braking, accelerating or adjusting the gap distance shuts down whatever I have asked the voice control to do. Is this normal?

It seems crazy if this is a safety feature?

Post #360337 3rd Dec 2015 10:07pm
jettec

Australia 2013 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Fuji White

Nope you have a problem take it back to Range Rover service.

Post #430769 11th Mar 2017 2:20am
Nick Ground

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Indus Silver

All of mine have been the same

Nick 2019 D5 HSE Lux SDV6 Indus
55 D3 SE
98 MX5 1.8 RS
gone 17 older variants of FFRR

Post #430770 11th Mar 2017 6:32am
w8pmc

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Carpathian Grey
Re: Dynamic cruise control and using voice commands

Unnecessary quote removed

Not noticed this, but i switch off the Dynamic aspect for the Cruise control as hate the feature. Hated it in previous cars too so am extremely glad at least in the FFRR you can switch the Dynamic aspect off & just use normal Cruise Control. Paul

MY17 TDV6 Autobiography In Carpathian Grey With Cirrus Interior

Post #430789 11th Mar 2017 1:16pm
bear100

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

i quite like the dynamic feature, what is it about it you don't like? 2010 defender utility
2010 RRS TDV8 (gone)
2007 discovery 3 (gone)
2004 discovery 4 (gone)
1994 discovery 1
1970 v8 hybrid (gone)
1975 bobtail (gone)

Post #430816 11th Mar 2017 6:01pm
w8pmc

Purely that they're still not intuitive enough, although I fully expected that 10yrs on from when I first experienced the system on an Audi A8 they would be.

No matter what distance you set the range parameter it still picks up large vehicles moving from the left & also applies the brakes before you get chance or would normally perform an overtake. This frustrates & confuses traffic behind & actually impedes progress as on a motorway you end up stuck in lane 2.

Was the same years ago & this caused me to never spec it again. I actually sold the A8 after 4mths solely due to hating adaptive cruise control.

An example that used to occur time after time was whilst in lane 3 having moved into that lane to allow an HGV to move not lane 2, the radar would pick up the HGV moving Lourdes the left side of the car & basically slam the brakes on at 80/85mph with of course no warning or expectation for the vehicles behind me.

The RR acts in a similar fashion that it applies the brakes in situations that just don't warrant any slowing of the car, let alone applying the brakes. I can imagine the drivers behind thinking 'what's that tool in the RR braking for'.

I've tried all 3 distance settings & virtually nothing between them so I just hold the distance button down & it switches the Adaptive aspect off thankfully. Paul

Post #430847 11th Mar 2017 9:29pm
bear100

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

My 2010 RRS done the same as you mention, really took the wind out of me and totally by surprise.
But the 405 works fantastic for me, a big difference between the 3 distances and hasn't given an issue yet, may be worth taking it in for a look over? 2010 defender utility
2010 RRS TDV8 (gone)
2007 discovery 3 (gone)
2004 discovery 4 (gone)
1994 discovery 1
1970 v8 hybrid (gone)
1975 bobtail (gone)

Post #430861 11th Mar 2017 10:30pm
w8pmc

I did give it a couple of goes earlier in the week during a drive to Suffolk & it appeared to work in exactly the same as my A8 years ago, in that even on the lowest distance setting the car was braking much earlier than I'd want to & that caused the need to faf about to regain speed & composure for an overtake.

I'll give it a few more attempts before writing it off completely, but early impressions are it's too intrusive & it reacts in a very different way to my desired driving style. The lane departure auto correction however I'm beginning to admire, albeit at first it scared the crap out of me as I wasn't aware the car had this feature so thought something was broken & was causing severe tram lining. Paul

Post #430870 11th Mar 2017 11:20pm
jumpin mouse

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

Adaptive cruise was the only "must have" that I had when we looked for our L405, we have it on a Ford Galaxy and my last RRSport had it. It can be a bit frustrating at times when the obstacle (slower car) moves and you have a clear road in front of you and the ACC waits a fraction too long to get you moving again. I'm now used to just touching the throttle to give it an initial nudge but I always set it to the shortest distance and find the braking starts about the right time for me.

It's also probably better to be a more on the cautious side than to have you getting too close to cars in front.

Post #430913 12th Mar 2017 11:31am
w8pmc

Tried it again yesterday & i feel it's going to be switched off every journey, it's just too intrusive. Even at the shortest gap it's scanning too far in front & applying the brakes a-lot earlier than any normal driving style would, so you have to react & move over to not lose momentum. Can't imagine how far the longest distance setting reacts.

Didn't like it in previous cars & i don't think it's any more pleasurable or useful in the FFRR. The advantage being in the FFRR you can at least turn it off & have regular CC.

I will keep giving it a go every now & again as perhaps being brand new it needs a little time to settle down. Paul

Post #431022 13th Mar 2017 11:10am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1