Home > Technical (L322) > Temperature guage reading high? TD6 2005
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
td6power

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey
Temperature guage reading high? TD6 2005

Hey guys

I have a 2005 Range Rover with the TD6 engine and ever since getting it the temperature always climbs to 3/4 of the way on the gauge. I naturally didn't like this so changed the thermostat thinking it was a stat issue.

The problem persisted so I then changed the temperature sensor and the viscous coupling on the engine fan. Still exactly the same.

The engine isn't pressurising and the electric engine fan isn't being triggered?

Is there a way of getting a digital temperature reading to appear on the speedo?

I'm thinking it has to be a speedo related issue as I think I've covered all possible causes of high temperature?

Its the same whether its being driven or left to idle as well? Rolling Eyes

Thanks for any advice!

Post #361792 12th Dec 2015 4:21am
V8Noise

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Carpathian Grey

You could buy one of these cheap infra red temp gauges and see what the actual temp is. Match that to spec to see if you are running hot. You'll then have a better start point for troubleshooting. 2017 5.0 Autobiography Supercharged
2005 Merc SL350
2005 Disco HSE 2.7 oil burner

Post #361793 12th Dec 2015 6:39am
wayneg

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

If the engine is not pressurising I would be looking at the expansion tank cap. Dont even think of using an after market one, genuine only.
I had the opposite problem, never got past 1/4 on the temp gauge. Turned out is was the EGR thermostat stuck open. 2007 TDV8 VSE
2003 TD6 gone.
2002 P38a gone
1999 P38a gone
1997 p38a gone
1993 VSE gone
1992 VSE gone
1966 Series 2a with V8 conversion gone

Post #361802 12th Dec 2015 9:08am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Unfortunately this is going to be one of those answers that a new owner will not want to hear.....

Yes you can get a digital reading of the engine temperature, BUT, you will need an Gap IID Tool Sad

If you budget will stretch to buying one, you will find it invaluable in sorting out any issues with the ffrr.
Has your car had the pixel fix on the dashboard? (is the message center clear and no missing bits?) I ask because if it's been done then there is a chance that the temperature gauge was disturbed in the process and the needle is out.

The temperature gauge on a ffrr doesn't show the temperature, it just points to normal when the engines within it's accepted temperature range..... this was done to stop stupid customers complaining about the gauge going up and down like a yoyo... I have fitted a real time temperature gauge on my car as well so that I can keep an eye on the temperature when I'm towing.... My dashboard says normal from 70C to above 105C, in fact I haven't managed to get it move above normal (in the middle) while the new gauge is up and down like a yoyo Shocked is there something wrong Laughing

So I get the feeling that your needle has been disturbed and it is pointing at the wrong bit of the scale... As for the not pressurising that is not right, maybe the header tank, or could be a duff pressure cap... it's got to be at the top of the engine other wise you'd be loosing coolant..... have you tried squeesing the top hose and listening around the header tank ? you might find the hole Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #361806 12th Dec 2015 10:03am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I would suggest it definitely points to a dash/gauge/electrical issue... Some further investigation needed with diagnostics kit first before looking at engine temps/mechanical issues...
As Miggit stated above the IID tool will be a great tool in this circumstance. You can go into service/test and check your temp gauge at pre determined levels! So for example, set it to “Normal” and if it shows 3/4 then its the gauge at fault & not mechanical...

Please report back with your findings...

Post #361815 12th Dec 2015 11:29am
blackstoun

Scotland 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black
What is a normal reading then?

Whilst I am sure my engine temp is ok , once the engine is at operating temp, My 4.2 sc gauge always reads on the lower mark , of the two marks between the blue and red sections,
Is this where it should be then?

Post #361826 12th Dec 2015 12:32pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

Ordinarily the temp gauge reads bang in the middle... That is dictated by the BCU sending it a signal which in turn has signals sent to it by your engine ECU and other sensors...

As stated above, if you were to look at older cars... The temp gauges would fluctuate up & down! When climbing/descending hills etc. So, the temp gauge you look at now has NO direct link to the engines actual temperature! But to the information sent to it by the BCU...

Hopefully that makes it a little clearer?

Post #361828 12th Dec 2015 12:44pm
blackstoun

So I am guessing that if it does not read bang in the middle (mine reads consistently low) , but it shows no sign of over heating , then no need to worry?

Post #361829 12th Dec 2015 1:01pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

As i said above, its easy to check the calibration of the gauge on a diagnostics tool like IID if you are concerned... Thumbs Up

Post #361830 12th Dec 2015 1:04pm
blackstoun

Thanks Craig
I need to stop slipping in worry mode in response to posts on here
In 6 months of ownership it drives well and other than noisy power steering (fixed) and spoiler brake light failed (fixed)
Nothing else has gone wrong and it is a delight to drive

However the precautionary principle applies and I will get diff, transfer box, and transmission old replaced soon

Post #361831 12th Dec 2015 1:19pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Everyone goes through a panic phase a little while after joining these forums. It's wears off after a while...once all the faults have happened. Laughing Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #361832 12th Dec 2015 2:00pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

^^ Is that when you get to the "I Don't Give A Censored " stage, or, the Yawn another fault? and? Laughing Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #361855 12th Dec 2015 4:18pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

It's when you reach the "Oh, looks like the alternator's gone. Is it that time of year already?" stage. Laughing

In my case, I feel much better now I've had a new torque converter, turbo, intercooler and hoses, alternator, battery, halfshaft, wheel nuts, HVAC pipes, brake pipes, de-cat pipe, towbar, brake discs, oil pump, water pump, cam and fuel belts, wishbones and tailgate latch and more. Big Cry

Actually, I can say "many a true word spoken in jest" does apply to the above. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #361879 12th Dec 2015 5:58pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Shocked Oh, so is there much of the original car left? Wink Rolling with laughter Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #361882 12th Dec 2015 6:11pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Just about! Had bodywork repairs done under insurance too - new bonnet, wing, bumper, light etc. New rear prop to be ordered on Monday also. Wink

Anyway, don't want to drag the thread off topic too much. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #361883 12th Dec 2015 6:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>