Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Yet another thread on starting problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
gmacdb9

England 
Yet another thread on starting problems

July 11 registered VogueTDV8, c 28,000 miles has intermittent starting problems. As reported on a number of threads here, press the button, goes click, and nothing else happens. It started last winter, only happened when it was cold. Back to main dealer and new starter motor fitted under warranty. It has started happening again, 10 months or so after the new starter was fitted. Again intermittent, and has never failed completely, wait a few seconds try again, sometimes again and then it always starts. Called the dealer - too busy to take the car in for three weeks or so. But a couple of days ago something odd happened. Pressed starter, click, then nothing. At that moment I was distracted by someone talking to me, but I kept my foot on the brake. A full 20 seconds later, the car started as if by magic. The next time it did not start, instead of beginning again, I just kept my foot on the brake after initial press of the button and again, 15 to 20 seconds later the car started. Any ideas? Seems a very long delay, (and it's not even that cold). 2011 Buckingham Blue TDV8
2009 Fire Red DB9 Volante
Gone - 1999 Epsom Green Discovery TD5 ES

Post #361688 11th Dec 2015 12:48pm
wealy

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Luxor

Could it be a glow plug is down, and its waiting for teh pre-heat cycle to do its thing?

I would get your codes read.

Post #361715 11th Dec 2015 3:20pm
nobbyclark

United Kingdom 

Having similar woes. Had lots of non-starts after buying it in October 2014 so dealer fitted a new battery. No problems until a couple of weeks ago when it wouldn't start in snowy conditions. Then failed to start last night when it was really cold, but started three hours later when it was colder still ! 2019 Range Rover P400e

Post #361742 11th Dec 2015 5:39pm
JST

England 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Stornoway Grey

try putting the ignition on without foot on brake, wait for glow plug lights to go out then foot on brake and start.

works on mine whens its been sat for a while and has failed on first start. i think its to do with the ECU needing to see a greater voltage, by booting up and waiting a fraction battery recovers enought for it to see the voltage so it starts and stays running. Cheers

James

Post #361776 11th Dec 2015 11:18pm
robbo770

Scotland 2005 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zambezi Silver

Sound like the relay for starter solenoid is worn and suffering from the cold, the system is sending the signal it's just not getting good power feed to the hardware Shocked Current vehicles
4.2 SC FFRR RSE 2010- facelift
Range Rover Evogue Dynamic Lux

Gone
Rejected RRS my14.5 nightmare
Disco B4 XXV convert
Freelander 06 SE
06 RFFRR 4.2 SC Vogue RSE
Audi A8 4.2Tdi Quattro (hated with a vengence!!)
54 FFRR 2005 model V8 4.4 Cobra Variant
53 Mitsubishi Shogun V6

Post #361779 11th Dec 2015 11:32pm
nobbyclark

United Kingdom 

JST wrote:
try putting the ignition on without foot on brake, wait for glow plug lights to go out then foot on brake and start.

works on mine whens its been sat for a while and has failed on first start. i think its to do with the ECU needing to see a greater voltage, by booting up and waiting a fraction battery recovers enought for it to see the voltage so it starts and stays running.

Yes, that's how I tried to start it 2nd time when it was even colder. Started immediately! 2019 Range Rover P400e

Post #362795 18th Dec 2015 6:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1