Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Battery cable nearly fire
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Hairball

England 2006 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black
Battery cable nearly fire

Hi please help my l322 tdv8 2006 pulled up at shop in 2 mins come out try and start and nothing no clicking as with flat battery etc power still to everything so call a mate to come jump start as he 2 mins away well i pop bonnet go to flip little cover down where you jump from and it had moved down 4 inch still attached to plastic bulkhead though then i spotted smoke from the back of terminal the link cable was red hot so much so as thats why battery boost point had dropped as it was melting the mounting point I quickly undid the bolts and separated the cables when everything had cooled down i reconected cables and had to tie rap the cables to there original ish position to get home ,car started straight away with boost jump cables got home checked battery was 11.2 volts put on charge on optimate 4 battery now 12.21v and when running 14.7v any ideas here im scared to go out in it now thanks in advance ps checked through service history and previous owner took to guy salmond as had a couple of none starting issues but full health check and plug in came back fine it also had a new battery in france on trip in 2014 its got no make or details on battery just big n black with recipes in history

Post #363377 21st Dec 2015 9:54pm
RR P38

Australia 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Grounded battery terminal?
Check insulation on battery leads.......sounds like you are lucky the explosive fuse didnt go off.
Might be a good idea to get auto electrician to have a look over things.

Post #363389 21st Dec 2015 10:27pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

The explosive disconnect isn't a fuse, it will only go off when triggered by the airbags and over 30mph....

As said though, check the cables from the jump post down to the starter etc, they will have shorted somewhere.... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #363392 21st Dec 2015 10:49pm
Hairball

Hi thanks ive looked as much as i can but everything seams ok on visual check could it of done it if the lead from battery to jump point was loose also battery is loosing 1v over night so removed now charging it out car then will check if it holds a charge off vehicle it is a proxi volt energy + pv29 110ah 700a stop laughing lol this is what previous owner got in france

Post #363483 22nd Dec 2015 3:55pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

To create enough resistance to melt the bulkhead it would be a short to earth, a loose cable wouldn't do it... worth getting checked out fully by a garage, if it does it unnoticed next time it could be the end of your FF and as that wire is not fused and live all the time it could happen when you aren't anywhere near the car..... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #363650 23rd Dec 2015 1:58pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

i would hazard a guess, that your 2014 battery, fried inside, and buckled the plates. so, when you know you are safe, replace it. see if you can find a warranty for the make online etc. was the battery bolted down after repalecment, as it could have shifted around and come into contact with earth etc. or pulled at the connection post... a shorted battery could explode the actual battery. remember, they are sealed, and possibly only have a crude pressure blow-off protector. (within the battery casing,) and as Pete said, the yellow disconnect will only be actuated by the SRS ECU. other areas to be concerned about, are the red terminal tot he alternator, and also to the starter motor.

Post #363656 23rd Dec 2015 2:15pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

I seem to recall someone else on here had a loose connection on the jump post and overtime it did indeed cause the plastic bulkhead to melt and leave a sizeable hole.

Post #363657 23rd Dec 2015 2:18pm
Hairball

Hi thanks all for your help ive put the battery on a optimate 4 and its fully charged and holding a charge off vehicle,but ive just bought a bosch s5 020 920a to be safe .the french battery was bolted down correctly and nothing was in contact with terminals that shouldn't be etc im so convinced the jump post was loose to cause this its made a sizeable hole in plastic bulkhead but ive re fitted it in correct place with the help of a piece of square rubber silicon hose off a turbo i had lying around as said soon as i noticed it smoking and melting bulkhead i disconected it and then reconected it properly tight and started car soon as cables had cooled down and they never got hot again i drove home and the checked everything except startermotor cables and it all seems ok if i check startermotor have i got to remove drivers side wheel and then the heat shields etc like ive seen in another post or is there an easier way thanks all any other check advice is welcome i have multimeter and tools etc and a cheap plug in obd reader Rolling with laughter

Post #363665 23rd Dec 2015 2:33pm
Hairball

nicedayforit wrote:
I seem to recall someone else on here had a loose connection on the jump post and overtime it did indeed cause the plastic bulkhead to melt and leave a sizeable hole.

Hi ive tried doing a search on this but im useless on comps if you find a link or anymore info would be appreciated

Post #363744 23rd Dec 2015 9:07pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

Sorry, had a search but I just can't find it. It was definitely on here though, somewhere.
From what I read I'm sure you have solved your problem but just to be absolutely sure I'd be inclined to visually check your +ve lead from the jump post to the starter connection, although I doubt you will find anything wrong with it. How easy it is on your car I'm not sure, on a TD6 you can see it easily.

Post #363749 23rd Dec 2015 9:44pm
Hairball

Thanks I really do appreciate your time in replying happy christmas. Thumbs Up

Post #363810 24th Dec 2015 10:42am
Hairball

New battery fitted so far so good

Post #364130 27th Dec 2015 7:15pm
Hairball

Hi all just an update you should all check the cable from positive battery to bulkhead jump post as it seams that thats all it was that nearly caused my fire the nut on the back of the jump post was loose probs since new battery fitted in france .my battery holds full charge and is charging great starts first turn thanks everyone to guiding me on what to check great site and bunch of little elves

Post #366436 10th Jan 2016 11:10pm
Joe90

England 

@ NDFI, this one?

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic11437.html .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #366440 10th Jan 2016 11:57pm
Hairball

Nice one joe wish id seen that before been searching everywhere

Post #366445 11th Jan 2016 12:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1