Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > USB/Aux/Bluetooth Retrofit for MOST systems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey
USB/Aux/Bluetooth Retrofit for MOST systems

Umn0-Tech - http://umno-tech.com/catalog/product_info....cts_id=559

There are two options with the kit. Either remove the CD player altogether or retain the CD changer and insert the interface between it and the head unit. If you dispense with the CD player then its power supply can be used to power the interface. If you retain the CD player then it is recommended to use a separate power supply. Using a piggy back connector, I took a lead off fuse no 7 which was spare.

My apologies for the quality of some of the photographs. The Umno-Tech site has some which you might find clearer.

In the interests of domestic harmony at SWMBO’s insistence I retained the CD player. It might yet come out!

Kit as supplied. This is the full system with the Bluetooth option.

Elements connected to show the order of connection. Top right the interface with the supplied fibre optic cable in place. Top left the Bluetooth box. Middle right the auxiliary cable. Bottom the microphone.
Click image to enlarge

Remove the small “barrel” protecting the fibre optic connections from the unit. The unit comes with two jumpers. They came set to “Auto” (see the Umno-Tech site for jumper locations) and I left them there with no problems.
Click image to enlarge

INSTALLATION

The first step is to remove the glove box. This is well covered here: http://www.roverupgrades.com/Range_Rover_MP3_Cd_Changer.html The photos are for the pre-touch screen but the removal of the glove box is the same for later models.

With the glove box out remove the CD multi changer from its tray.
From the rear of the CD changer remove the white plug carrying the fibre optic cables and the power lead. Remove the fibre optic plug from the white plug.
Click image to enlarge

All the fibre optic plugs in the system have an arrow indicating the direction of travel.

Carefully remove the “In” cable from the plug. It is easier to do this by peeling back the cloth protective covering on the cables to expose a length of them. This will also facility the placing of the interface unit.

Do not remove the “out” cable.

To remove the cable push the blue “pin” in the plug half way out and then, using a fine flat head screwdriver or similar, gently raise the lock tab on the side of the plug. This will allow the cable to be pulled free.

Next take the plug in the supplied kit which has the attached fibre optic cable attached and insert that cable into the white plug from the CD changer thus replacing the cable you have just removed from it.

Then put the optic cable you removed from the CD changer white plug into the “In” on the interface unit plug (the one that came with the kit which had the optic cable ready installed). To do this you will have to release the inner plug from the outer using the locking catch on the side and insert the optic cable as described above. Replace the white plug, complete with power supply lead, back into the CD changer.

You are now ready to locate the unit.
I put it under the CD changer as there is a convenient void there at the back of the glove box. It is at this point you will see if you have freed enough of the protective cover for convenience. I passed the cable with the interface plug between the CD player and the tray so that it exited in the void below the CD player. This enabled a convenient connection to the passenger side fuse box and also it meant that the unit was readily available if needed. Insert the fibre optic plug into the unit and make the power connection. I also wrapped the fibre optic cables which were still behind the CD player in fresh protection (foam sheet)

Locaion
Click image to enlarge

Connect the other elements. The unit can be used on its own but I have used the other elements – Aux cable, Bluetooth box , microphone and USB/ Aux extension – to try to make this as comprehensive as possible.

USB/Aux Socket
Click image to enlarge

SET-UP

Prepare an USB stick formatted to FAT16 or FAT32 with ten tracks in MP3 format . With the unit powered up insert the USB and wait for ten seconds. I gave it a bit longer. This initiates the unit. Then insert a different USB stick with MP3 tracks and check that the unit is working.

Replace the glove box.

OPERATING

The unit must have a FAT16 or FAT32 USB stick with at least one MP3 track inserted to be in line. Effectively the USB stick acts as a “switch” and, if removed, the MOST system reverts to standard and, after a short time, the CD player comes into line.
When the new interface is in use (USB stick inserted) the car screen changes to show MP1 and, under it, MP4 buttons.
“MP1” gives the tracks and folders on the USB stick. Switching to “MP4” switches to Bluetooth or Aux.
For setting up I use CD selected on the touch screen
To pair your smart phone insert an USB stick. Press button MP4.
- Turn on Bluetooth function on your smartphone and start Bluetooth search.
- Press and hold the button on the radio "Fast Forward" for more than 25 seconds to start the pairing process. Wait until BM1681 displayed
-Confirm Connect - Connected << >> is displayed on the car speakers. Bluetooth connection is established. INFO: Only one Bluetooth device can be connected to the interface.

(However, if you already have the LR Bluetooth interface, you can connect your smart phone to that, which gives your address book and hands free and, at the same time, you can connect your smart phone to the new interface to stream music from it. If you don’t have the LR Bluetooth then, from the Umno website, you can use the new interface for telephone calls via the pairing and using your phone to dial up calls then hands free).

CD Player - Interface off line (USB stick removed)
Click image to enlarge

USB music playing - Note which button is used

Click image to enlarge

Aux/Bluetooth in line - Again note which button is used
Click image to enlarge

I have not included a photo of the microphone as, other than when I tested it, I don't use it.

A nice advantage with the system is that you can create folders (up to 15) on the USB stick which then show up on the screen and can be readily switched between.

One point I would make is that there is a time lag between switching from CD player to the interface which should last about 10 seconds or so. Nonetheless it is much better IMO than the time taken to load MP3 CDs on the original player.
Hope all that is clear. It is actually pretty easy to do if you follow the steps.

You will see on the Umno-Tech site that there are cables expressly for iPhone. Also I ordered a 2 metre USB/Aux extension to allow me some flexibility in location.

As I said, apologies for the photos. The video on the Umno-Tech link above shows how the screen appears in the various operating modes. Mark, the chap on the website responded quickly and clearly to e-mails asking for amplification on some points. He prefers e-mail as it makes it easier for him to translate into German rather than telephone.

I am pleased with the system. It gave me what I wanted, namely the ability to play music from USB at much lower cost than the LR system. The Auxilliary and Bluetooth functions are there as a bonus if I wish to use them. I have no connection with the company other than as a customer.

If you wish to dispense with the CD player then when you remove the white plug from the back of it you transfer the optic cables from it to the new interface (do one at a time so that you don't get mixed up between "IN" and "OUT" Whistle )

You can then use the power connection as well. John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Last edited by Weegie on 23rd Dec 2015 5:23pm. Edited 4 times in total

Post #363507 22nd Dec 2015 6:13pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

great write John, thank you..

cost of unit? ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #363508 22nd Dec 2015 6:21pm
Weegie

€229 plus postage a €14. The Bluetooth item is an additional €49. So total €292 or approx £216. John
GAP iiD BT

Post #363509 22nd Dec 2015 6:26pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

my xmas money might be spent on that (maybe Mr. Green ) ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #363520 22nd Dec 2015 8:00pm
bebechoon

France 

Yes, a great write-up, John. Thanks Thumbs Up

I seem to have no excuses now not to do the same.
Can I plead poverty, what with Christmas upon us???!!! Mr. Green

Wikify it, Stan? It's "bébéchoon", ackcherly, with accents. 'Steve' to my chums.
20 years ownership of Solihull products, ALL GONE NOW, sniff!
Current motor: Suzuki S-Cross 4WD auto, 1.4 petrol. Oh so reliable! 5 years now and no problems. Oh, all right then, a leaking shocker replaced under guarantee.
Previous:
TD6 HSE L322 Auto FF
2.5 TDi 4-door Classic
Disco II
And my 1st Rangie: in 1995, a 2-door VM 2.5 diesel Classic
Not to mention the Lada Niva before those. (I said not to mention it!)

Post #363524 22nd Dec 2015 8:15pm
forever

United Kingdom 

Nice thanks..

Post #363549 22nd Dec 2015 10:02pm
forever

United Kingdom 

I wonder if its better to use their Bluetooth or one of the wireless USB Bluetooth connectors, my only aim is to get Spotify in the car

Post #363550 22nd Dec 2015 10:03pm
Weegie

Can't help with the wireless bluetooth. When streaming it from my phone I was only using what had already been loaded.

Others might be able to comment on the effectiveness of a wireless one and the cost, depending on your contract, of course. John
GAP iiD BT

Post #363554 22nd Dec 2015 10:44pm
Ian c2

United States 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

Thanks for the write-up .

It looks like just what I need since the cd changer broke !!!

Where did you put the microphone ?

Post #363574 23rd Dec 2015 3:25am
Weegie

I have just left it beside the interface in the back of the glove box as I have the LR bluetooth for telephone calls.

It has a holder with an adhesive pad so could be put anywhere convenient and where the wires could be concealed.

I haven't in fact used the bluetooth interface for calls only for playing music from my smart phone. John
GAP iiD BT

Post #363587 23rd Dec 2015 8:48am
Weegie

I have added some more photographs to my post. John
GAP iiD BT

Post #363703 23rd Dec 2015 5:24pm
Weegie

Now been using the interface for a few days and I have to say it does everything it promised.

There is one change to the instructions which concerns the power supply to the unit. In the instructions it states, if keeping the CD player, not to use its power connection. What that should read is don't remove the power to the CD player.

The way the MOST system works the CD player has to be in line i.e. not switched through the ignition but on a fused permanent live. When the system is wakened either by unlocking the vehicle or, if already unlocked and it has shut down (screen blank etc), by turning the key to position 1. When the interface is in line (USB inserted) the system sees it as the CD Player.

The easiest way to achieve this is to piggy back the interface power to the CD Player power (Fuse 40 in the passenger compartment). This provides full functionality with all folders and tracks and picks up at the track last played instead of reverting to the first track on the selected folder. John
GAP iiD BT

Post #364381 29th Dec 2015 12:19pm
Phillo

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Interesting post Thumbs Up
I intend to fit one of these and was curious as to how the system is operating now that you have had it installed for a while?
Cheers

Post #364862 2nd Jan 2016 3:30am
Weegie

Now that I have had it operating for a week or so I am very pleased with it. Does everything I want

There are a couple of points which I would make.

It is important to have the power setup as I described in my last post on the thread. It allows the interface to emulate the CD player. If it is powered through the ignition it is slow at booting up and and shutting down. With the power as described it acts exactly the same as the CD player in booting up and shutting down.

The USB stick must be in place to switch the unit into line (covered in the installation instructions above). To activate the Bluetooth button 4 (third screen photo) is pressed. This brings the Bluetooth and Auxiliary into line. Your smartphone can then be paired with the system. It appears as "BM1681" on your phone in Bluetooth mode. No code required. You can then play music from your phone and make and receive calls. Music is muted when calls are made.

However, if you revert to playing music from the USB stick (button 1, 2nd screen photo) it disconnects the phone from the system. So OK for phone calls if you are playing music from your phone but no calls if playing music from the USB stick.

For me this is not a problem as I have the LR Bluetooth which connects the phone independently and handles the calls (muting the music when incoming or outgoing) and I can play music from the USB at the same time. Playing music from the USB stick was my primary interest and it does that through the HK audio system excellently. As it does also when playing music from the phone via its Bluetooth connection.

As mentioned previously, my smartphone will connect to both the Unit bluetooth and the LR Bluetooth at the same time.

To recap, if you don't have the LR Bluetooth as well, if you want music from your USB - no calls at the same time. Music from your phone - calls at the same time.

Hope that helps. John
GAP iiD BT

Post #364924 2nd Jan 2016 5:16pm
Phillo

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Thanks for the recap and added pointers, like you, playing music with quality sound is what I wanted, so looks like I will snap one of these units up and fit, handy to have your post as a guide. Cheers.

Post #364930 2nd Jan 2016 5:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>