Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > eas abs woes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mark g

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black
eas abs woes

hi folks new here, have just bought a 322 and haveing some eas trouble, have changed the compressor for a new one which is working fine, out on a drive, the messages air susp inactive hdc inactive and abs lights came on, on the lynx diagnostics the only eas fault was canbus error which cleared , in the abs dsc system there is a fault code 008a no message from ride height control (ehc) control unit currently not present which will not clear
when we bought the car the battery was flat and the previous owner jump started it could this have fried the ecu partly? i have cleaned the eas ecu connectors and refitted it but fault code still there, could it be a problem with abs ecu or something else? many thanks for any help, mark.

Post #364213 28th Dec 2015 2:23pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

The first thing I would do is check the battery voltage when driving and checking the battery voltage when the car has stood for a couple of hours without the engine running.
Battery voltage on these cars is somewhat critical and the fact your car had to be jump started when you bought it doesn't bode well.
The chances are you need a new battery but it's also worth checking the performance of the alternator.
The abs, hdc and air suspension inactive messages are not uncommon on cars that have battery problems.
Jump starting the car shouldn't have caused any problem.
Good luck and Welcome. Thumbs Up

Post #364218 28th Dec 2015 2:52pm
Joe90

England 

Welcome to the fold Thumbs Up

Unlikely the ECU is fried, we are always jump starting Smile

First off, try a battery disconnection procedure which should help to reset things, and don't forget to do the wheel to wheel reset (all found in the wiki)

Get a diagnostic tool which will help to narrow things down. Fault codes link up in chains on the FFRR meaning you get codes written that are just a reaction to something else further up the chain, you have to track down the one that is causing it.

In your case it could simply be a case of uncleared codes. .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #364219 28th Dec 2015 2:53pm
nicedayforit

^ "we are always jump starting" Smile

Didn't like to tell him that Laughing Thumbs Up

Post #364221 28th Dec 2015 2:57pm
mark g

thanks chaps have fitted new battery, alternator putting out 14 volts, have done the steering angle sensor reset and purchased and are useing the britpart lynx diagnostic system, thinking about it the fault code is saying that the ride height control switch is not working but it is working and the car moves between ride heights?

Post #364224 28th Dec 2015 2:59pm
nicedayforit

You could try un-plugging the abs ecu and checking for corrosion on the pins and in the socket.
The ecu is fitted to the side of the abs block on the passenger side of the car, the socket faces upwards, which is why it can get water in it.
The air suspension inactive message can come on when the steering wheel has been refitted too far from the centre position such that the steering sensor is well out of calibration.
Your car hasn't been fitted with new track rod ends by any chance?

Post #364226 28th Dec 2015 3:26pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

Nice day got it in one. The BUS system is sequential thus when u get a fault in one area (eg ABS) it trips all the others such as HDC, EAS etc. I had this and the dealer wanted to charge me £1000 for a new ABS unit. Told him to go for a long walk off a short plank, opened the unit and there was a small amount of green corrosion on one spike. Brushed with toothbrush, electrolyte stuff and ne'er a twitch 4yrs later. Thumbs Up

Post #364249 28th Dec 2015 6:26pm
mark g

the steering wheel is slightly off center as though the tracking needs doing, we have replaced lower suspension arms but no track rod ends, will give the abs ecu a going over and report back, many thanks for all the help, mark.

Post #364257 28th Dec 2015 7:08pm
nicedayforit

It's possible your tracking is slightly out.
I had the air sus inactive message after I replaced a track rod end Never had it before. I replaced it by counting the number of turns I used to unscrew the old end but ended up with the steering wheel about 10º off centre. I then turned the trackrod end until the steering wheel was dead ahead again ( less then a full turn) and the air sus inactive message disappeared and hasn't re-appeared.
You can't simply re-position the steering wheel on the shaft you have to get the shaft centred.
I was quite surprised how little the shaft had to be off centre for it to go out of range of the steering sensor.
Given the car was tracked correctly before I changed the track rod end it should now also be tracked correctly now.
That was 4 years ago and no untoward tyre wear to date so it must be fairly accurate.

Post #364259 28th Dec 2015 7:27pm
mark g

have removed the ecu from the pump body and cant find any corrosion or anything dodgy looking, everyone local that tests and rebuilds ecus is off till january 4th, Rolling Eyes , anyhow i can get on with removing the bling and start to get it looking like it should, this is the offender as we bought it http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-LAND-ROVER-...7675.l2557
the gearbox is fine there was a fuse in position 37 pulled it and all ok, may have been towed or recovered due to the eas guff

Post #364484 29th Dec 2015 11:08pm
Weejock

2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Epsom Green

According to your original error message from the ABS ECU 'fault code 008a no message from ride height control (ehc) control unit currently not present' then it suggests there is an issue receiving ride height info via CANbus from the EAS ECU (it's not the height switch but from the height sensors via the EAS ECU).
It could be a problem with:
ABS ECU (CANbus input circuitry)
EAS ECU (CANBus output circuity and operation of the EAS in general particularly height sensors)
CANbus wiring in between or the EAS and ABS or any of the CANbus wiring/interference.

Given that you bought it on it's bump stops points to an existing issue with the EAS rather than anything else. I would be looking at correct operation of the EAS.
Put it through a series of different height changes and check for fault codes on the EAS ECU and check for height sensor info rising and lowering as it should (no spikes).

Do you know why it was written off? Might help in the diagnosis.
Just thinking out loud...Suspension components changed, steering wheel not in the centre, trim missing and scratches on the front bumper corner....front right wheel had a whack?

Post #364525 30th Dec 2015 3:22pm
mark g

thanks weejock you have a better understanding of the system than me, will do more checks, cheers, mark.

Post #364602 31st Dec 2015 9:50am
mark g

was the steering wheel not central, had it tracked and is now fine, thanks for the help

Post #366157 8th Jan 2016 11:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1