Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > jesus another problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
thegamekeeper

2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black
jesus another problem

now theres smoke comin from the exhausts. smells oily but engine runs smooth. could this be the turbo or something more serious. any advice would be great. startin to wish ide never bought it now.

thank you

tony

Post #364658 31st Dec 2015 3:09pm
MachineHead

Scotland 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Mariana Black

Any lights or warning messages?

Possibly an intercooler hose? two big hoses at the top front of the engine, prone to splitting, not expensive to repair about £30 per hose or a complete silicone set of all 6 hoses for £78 09 TDV8 Westminster, Mariana Black, Rear seat entertainment, hatch bag and 2 slobbery mutts

Post #364666 31st Dec 2015 3:55pm
thegamekeeper

no mate no warning lights or messages at all. i was pulling a trailer (empty) and there was a plume of white smoke when i stopped. it went away on tickover but when i drove it got heavier which makes me thinks its the turbo when theres a bit of presure on it. theres no rattles or nothing

Post #364670 31st Dec 2015 4:21pm
MachineHead

Black smoke is often a sign of the intercooler hoses, worth pulling them off and checking, very very easy to do a jubilee clip at either end to loosen and then just wiggle them off. I thought they might be hard to get off but I took mine off today very easily. Honest a ten minute job at most.

The other thing it could be is a jammed turbo waste gate they can get sticky particularly if left parked up for any length of time.

I am having similar issues which is why I checked my hoses, but I am not getting black smoke and suspect my waste gate is stiff and stuck open.

Edit - from what you describe though my money is on the hoses especially as it is black smoke under acceleration. 09 TDV8 Westminster, Mariana Black, Rear seat entertainment, hatch bag and 2 slobbery mutts

Post #364671 31st Dec 2015 4:26pm
thegamekeeper

its more of a white smoke which smells oily. dont know if this helps but mines a td6

Post #364675 31st Dec 2015 4:37pm
MachineHead

Mine is the tdv8 but the issue is pretty much the same regardless.

I would check the hoses, at least then you know if that's the issue or not and its only a ten minute job. If it's the turbo you usually get an Engine system fault and more often than not the engine management light.

Other option take it to a garage and have them read the codes, only issue it will come up with turbo boost pressure low which is not definitive as that could still mean either hoses or turbo ... the most common fault though is the hoses they deteriorate with age and eventually split. 09 TDV8 Westminster, Mariana Black, Rear seat entertainment, hatch bag and 2 slobbery mutts

Post #364677 31st Dec 2015 4:43pm
thegamekeeper

i will check the hoses first thing in the morning and fingers crossed its that. would that cause the oily smelling white smoke tho

Post #364679 31st Dec 2015 4:52pm
MachineHead

yes, split hoses often cause a smokey running engine and not always black, size of the split would probably have a lot to do with it.

When checking the right hand one as you look at them (left side of car) make sure to check under the webbing in the middle.

Right now I have what I suspect is a turbo waste gate issue and I am getting no smoke at all just no power ...bloomin' cars! Laughing 09 TDV8 Westminster, Mariana Black, Rear seat entertainment, hatch bag and 2 slobbery mutts

Post #364681 31st Dec 2015 5:03pm
thegamekeeper

thanks very much for that i will check them tomorrow. ive also been told the crankcase breather is also an issue and should be changed as this can also cause smoke

Post #364686 31st Dec 2015 5:25pm
MachineHead

yes I've heard that too, hope you find the issue Thumbs Up 09 TDV8 Westminster, Mariana Black, Rear seat entertainment, hatch bag and 2 slobbery mutts

Post #364688 31st Dec 2015 5:29pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Turbo/Intercooler hoses is a common issue on the 3.6 TDV8 and results in lots go black smoke on acceleration.

White smoke on a TD6 hopefully a crank case breather - I say hopefully, because if its not that, it's likely a new turbo

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic32415.html

Post #364690 31st Dec 2015 6:05pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

i would warn against driving it, untill you have sorted it. if you have an oil burning engine, it can 'run-away' and over revv, and 'blow up' as you cant stop it. search youtube for turbo runaway, or 'diesel runaway' if it was to happen switching off doesnt stop it, and you cant stall it if its auto, so you have to get the bonnet up, and stuff a t shirt into the air intake, to suffocate it. with it revving at 5000rpm. Shocked

Post #364711 31st Dec 2015 8:34pm
thegamekeeper

yeah i heard about them blowin up and watched one do it on youtube. bloody scary that mind. need to check a few things tomorrow. hope i can sort it as ive just spent a fortune on 22s. new badges. full window tinting and much more. ive got it looking fantastic now and i cant drive the Censored lol

Post #364713 31st Dec 2015 8:41pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

On the v8's they often have rotten pcl systems, and burn the oil that is leaked through. I'm sure the diesels have the same. Not expensive. The v8 you can buy just the failed diaphragm for about £20
Inside this part below, is a 2 inch rubber diaphragm, this fails as it goes all soft, and oil gets into the intake manifold.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/121568419951

Post #364727 31st Dec 2015 10:45pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

AS Alistair said, crank case breather filter is the commonest cause of smoke on the BMW TD6 engine, as cheep as chips to buy and easy peasy to change, shouldn't take more than half an hour.

Engine cover off, air filter cover off, release the injector loom, and there it is, 4 bolts and your in Thumbs Up

3 bolts for the engine cover, 4 for the air filter, 3 for the loom, oh and you'll need to remove the oil filler cap to get the engine cover off

This is the filter that I used, change from £12.00 Very Happy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301091751067?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #364747 1st Jan 2016 2:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>