Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Transmission oil change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
vaz

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black
Transmission oil change

Just going through a to do list of our recent new motor and top of the list is all the oils.
One thing I have come across is the gearbox sump and filter.
Until I get underneath it, I would presume it has the combined plastic sump and filter (ZF6HP26).
Would I be as well replacing like for like, or would the metal sump pan and separate filter be a better option?
The cost is more for the metal kit, but at a later date would work out cheaper to buy a ZF filter and gasket.
I have hopefully sourced a 20 litre tub of Lifeguard 6 at a tad under £200 + vat (£234) works out at £11.70 per litre.
Any thoughts?

Steve. 1968 Series IIA Pastel Green, nearly there project

Post #365745 6th Jan 2016 9:25pm
Rangeyman

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Where did you get the 20 litre of lifeguard ,there are very knowledgable guys on here who insist you can only get it in litres only and I have looked and not been able to get a 20 litre tub .

Post #365771 6th Jan 2016 11:28pm
kmhphoto

2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Would this be the same thing?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mannol-Lifeguard...1759178209

Post #365865 7th Jan 2016 3:11pm
Ian c2

United States 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

Rangeyman wrote:
Where did you get the 20 litre of lifeguard ,there are very knowledgable guys on here who insist you can only get it in litres only and I have looked and not been able to get a 20 litre tub .

http://www.zftranspart.com/index.php?p=cat...8&pg=1

Post #365868 7th Jan 2016 4:17pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

http://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/tyk500050...-174-p.asp Wink Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #365869 7th Jan 2016 4:20pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

^ site sponsor as well... Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #365870 7th Jan 2016 4:22pm
vaz

Well my source has none in stock, it was Jpat who had an autumn flyer with a special offer for 20 litres. I emailed them on Tuesday and they have none left, only 1 litre or 309 litre drums.

@Ian c2. that looks like it is only available across the pond, would presume delivery and customs duty would be high.

@kmhphoto. That looks interesting and cheap, although Mannol seem to have a good reputation for their oils in Germany.

@Lost for Words. I have looked on advancedfactors and that is a good price. Looks like the correct spec as well.

I would like to ask RRPhil for his opinion first before I go and buy anything other than Lifeguard 6.
Are you about RRPhill please?

I would still like zf6hp26 owners their views about the sump.

Post #366114 8th Jan 2016 6:05pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

cam-tec-craig did mine and he replaced it with a genuine one which is made of a hard plastic.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #366115 8th Jan 2016 6:10pm
Mightymarcos

United Kingdom 

Changed mine over the Christmas break using an OEM plastic pan which was almost half the price of a non-genuine metal pan conversion. On the basis I am unlikely the do this more than twice while I own the car, I went for the OEM plastic part and it was a doddle.

The one that came off was almost certainly original going by the manufacture date and my history file shows no oil change before so I wondered what I would find. Relieved to find the oil brown in colour but not bad after 100k miles, no burned smells, no swarf and just a little fine metallic dust on the magnet traps. I'll do another oil change in the spring to leave about 75% of the oil fresh as a precaution.

After a transmission reset, changes are definitely a little better than before but they were pretty good anyway given the mileage! Taking a rest from Land Rovers for a bit.......

Post #366123 8th Jan 2016 6:44pm
Ian c2

United States 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

Hi steve .
Yes it is over the pond , but that's where I am .
It was just posted to show its available in different quantities

Post #366125 8th Jan 2016 6:57pm
vaz

Thanks for all the info.
I think I will keep the plastic sump and filter combined as it is much cheaper than the conversion to a metal sump and separate filter. I have seen a few of these on BMW's when I was a mechanic and most of them seemed fine with just one out of around eight that had developed a leak.
Ian, sorry I didn't notice your location when I posted earlier, too busy studying the various makes of fluid.

Post #366140 8th Jan 2016 9:07pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

vaz wrote:
@Lost for Words. I have looked on advancedfactors and that is a good price. Looks like the correct spec as well.

It is. Steve @ Advanced has researched the matter, and that is the same as Lifeguard 6 in a different bottle. Also recommended by flushing gurus Disco_Mikey and geoff. on Disco3. Wink

Re the sump, my view on the matter is to stick with the plastic one - as the metal one holds slightly less fluid and it's also been reported that it's harder to get a good seal. Since the filter itself does so little (the fresh oil is the important bit), I'm not going to be that bothered about changing that early or often, so the plastic one isn't really a problem in that respect, IMO. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #366193 9th Jan 2016 10:40am
vaz

Thanks for all the info.
What do members think of this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-1x10-Liter-MA...Sw~EtUlDQr
I would use it for flushing only and drain after 100 miles including changing the filter.
Although I appreciate there would be around 2-1/2 to 3 litres of the stuff left in the torque converter, it would give the box a good swill out.

Post #368684 24th Jan 2016 3:27pm
Full Fat Ray

Wales 2006 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Personally, I wouldn't put ANYTHING except for the correct grade of oil in your gearbox - you will be unable to get it all out again, and will therefore contaminate your new oil, as well as almost certainly causing damage to the internals of the gearbox.

I changed my oils last autumn - used a genuine plastic pan from Dan @ Duckworths, and drained / re-filled oil twice with 200 miles in between fills. Even then you only get about 75% of the oil out, but the box is now smother. 2006 (56 Reg) 4.4 V8 Vogue In Bonatti Grey (Gorgeous!!)

Post #368806 25th Jan 2016 12:35pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

This whole issue of badged fluids confuses the heck out of me. Clearly ZF manufacture transmissions and not fluids and, if we take the 5-speed 5HP24 transmission as an example, in the early days ZF specified Esso ATF LT71141 as the only fluid suitable for the 5HP24 in their official ‘List of Lubricants’ TE ML-11.

Click image to enlarge

ExxonMobil subsequently rebranded the fluid to Mobil ATF LT71141. ZF then started marketing their ‘own’ fluid – Lifeguardfluid 5 – which, if this MSDS is anything to go by, is manufactured by Pentosin in Germany.

Click image to enlarge

The later versions of ZF’s Service Data Management electronic parts catalogue indicate that Pentosin ATF-1 should be used in the 5HP24. My inevitable conclusion from this is that all four fluids are one and the same thing.

Click image to enlarge

Moving on to the 6-speed transmissions, the early fluid specified by ZF was Shell M1375.4 which then changed to Lifeguardfluid 6 when ZF introduced their own branded fluid. Lifeguardfluid 6 remains the only fluid specified in TE ML-11 as suitable for the 6HP26X/28X.

Click image to enlarge

Are the fluids marketed by Ravenol, Meyle, Febi, Mannol, etc. the same fluid? It seems to me that, although they may well be, we can’t possibly be sure so the only certain way of using the correct fluid is to stick with the ZF branded product. To convince me otherwise I personally would need more ‘proof’ than just the word of the person trying to sell me the stuff.

Phil

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #368837 25th Jan 2016 3:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>