Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > External Temperature Reading
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Weejock

2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Epsom Green

The grill ambient air temperature sensor should only be used for the air con/FBH/Heated screen/ice warning reference and display on the instrument info panel.
The air intake temperature sensor for fueling is contained within the MAF.

Post #370046 2nd Feb 2016 10:24am
Pepi

England 

Thanks for the info. So could it be possible that the absent Battery enforced reset. Could affect the fuel consumption to that degree until the system settles down again. Eddie the eagle watch out 👀

Post #370053 2nd Feb 2016 11:32am
Weejock

2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Epsom Green

If you disconnect the battery it will indeed lose the fuel trim numbers and will need to be relearned, it won't relearn them all until you go between every load and rpm combo in closed loop. As a guide I've always taken a tank of fuel as enough to say it's relearned back to where it should be. Having said that it shouldn't make a huge difference to the fuel useage unless there was something wrong and it was compensating with fueling (such as an air/vacuum leak).
In cold weather it will use more fuel as the air is denser so adds more fuel, conversely you will get slightly more power from it so for overall engine running there won't be a huge difference (unless you have a lead foot). There will be a difference in loads from extra electrical features used and warm up times compared to summer but again it shouldn't be huge unless it's left to sit and idle to warm up (I don't think the dash computer takes into account stationary fuel useage).
So you will use slightly more fuel in winter compared to summer but not drastically so (about 10% more in winter depending on your driving style).
I assume you are getting your mpg figures from the dash computer? Was your 11mpg doing exactly the same roads, in exactly the same conditions and over the same time period you got your 22mpg from?
Unless you are comparing like for like then I would take what it says with a pinch of salt and even then I wouldn't rely on it heavily.

Mine says it does 20-24mpg on the dash info but it doesn't, it does 17mpg from tank to tank fill which is bang on the manufacturers quoted average which I'm happy with given the driving I do. I have slightly undersize off road tyres hence the difference between the dash and reality. I could change the correction factor numbers (in the hidden dash menu) and get it to display whatever mpg I wanted to be honest but I just treat it as a guide but only if it's comparing like for like.

In your case I would run it for a tank full or two, working the mpg out from fill ups rather than the dash and then see what it's doing. If it's still using a lot of fuel after that then get the codes read and study the live data fuel trims.

Post #370065 2nd Feb 2016 1:04pm
Pepi

England 

Yep sound advice and I am not that anal about consumption figures.
I work on the precept that If I can't fill it up I don't use it.
Yes I could't agree with you more on your advice and appraisal.
But not knowing the intricate ways of the L322 M62 engine management.
I thought the quickest way to learn was to ask the people that do.
Many thanks it is people like yourself that take the time and trouble to share their knowledge that makes it feasible for the normal man to run a Range Rover. Hats off to you.
I will suck it and see how it goes. 👍🍻 Eddie the eagle watch out 👀

Post #370073 2nd Feb 2016 2:09pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Pepi, the wire goes into the loom that picks up the left hand fog light then into the engine bay beneath the headlight, it could be chaffed somewhere and shorting the fog light and temp sender... you can get to most of it by removing the front undertray and left wheel arch liner.... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #370620 5th Feb 2016 1:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12