Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > L322 Air suspension inactive
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ian

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Rimini Red
L322 Air suspension inactive

So as is always the way, my first post is relating to a problem, and most surprisingly it is suspension related Laughing

The suspension was very slow at going up, and made a grinding kind of noise i think from the rear drivers side. It then started to go up very slowly, and slightly jerkily at the front, then all suspension function stopped. This included the lights on the switch, which seemed a bit unusual.
Most people seem to say compressor, so i checked first the 2 fuses which both are ok. then i disconnected the connector block in the wheel well and tried to get a power signal, which i couldnt. this leads me to believe the problem could be ecu related, but does anyone know a way to check? i dont have a diagnostic tool to check with Big Cry

If there is anyone with any ideas would like to hear from you

if anyone is feeling really kind towards a fellow RR owner, with a code reader who lives near chelmsford, any chance of putting your reader and my car together?
thanks to all

Post #368698 24th Jan 2016 5:21pm
Joe90

England 

First off, welcome to forum and do you really have an '02 in Rimini Red? I thought we were all Alveston Red at that age Wink

Regarding your Air Suspension, how is the car sitting now, has it dropped to the bumpstops all round/front/back or is it holding air?

What state is your battery in?

You will need a code reader to clear the hard fault - it is the only way! This will also help you to diagnose the problem.

It is unlikely to be the ECU, seen very few, if any, issues there. More likely:

Height Sensors
Air Bags
Compressor
Air pipes
Control valves
Reservoir

(sort of in that order but not necessarily)

Once you are able to read the faults it should make solving the problem a lot easier. .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #368700 24th Jan 2016 5:46pm
ian

Hi Joe
Thanks for reply
Will settle for it being red!
Battery went flat on Friday after having radio on for 1 hour,
Was jump started and started fine since then
Front seems to be at normal height, with the rear about 2-3" low
Slightly worse on passenger side.
Is there an easy way to test of the compressor is working using a spare battery and connecting to the compressor plug?
I had the front jacked up high today suspension worked 3-4 times after that then gave up.

Post #368703 24th Jan 2016 5:51pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

I trust you have run the steering wheel full lock to full lock with the engine running?

Post #368706 24th Jan 2016 6:13pm
ian

Unfortunately already tried that, as had found that one online but no joy

Post #368707 24th Jan 2016 6:15pm
nicedayforit

Unlucky, you can get the compressor to run by removing the compressor relay and bridging the socket contacts corresponding to terminals 30 and 87 on the relay

You will find the relay as below in the rear offside compartment below the fuseboard.
Also worth checking the operation of the relay.

Post #368711 24th Jan 2016 6:31pm
ian

thanks for that, will try that tomorrow. do i need to have the igntion on or engine running?

Post #368716 24th Jan 2016 7:12pm
nicedayforit

All the outputs from the rear fuseboard are permanently live so you don't need the ignition on but i would recommend you do with the engine running so that your battery doesn't run down.
Either that or you could use a separate battery. Thumbs Up

Post #368722 24th Jan 2016 7:33pm
ian

Appreciate your advice will give it a go tomorrow. I have ordered a new battery anyway but dont quite see how this is the problem, as the alternator should provide a suitable voltage supple assuming no other changes are made to any part of the vehicles electrics while testing. Does ant one have an idea what would have gone to cause the lights on the dashboard height adjustment control to be inoperative? it just seems a bit odd if the fuses are ok for the control lights to be off.
guess it is a guess of starting to eliminate things one by one as cant get to diagnostic machine during working hours Confused

why is it landrover air suspension, on both discos and range rovers seem to suffer so many problems? Censored

Post #368734 24th Jan 2016 8:44pm
Joe90

England 

Air Suspension Control Lights are off because you have a hard fault. Sometimes this can be fixed with a battery disconnection procedure but usually you need a diagnostic reader to read and then reset the fault.

The car (FFRR) needs good battery at all times as it will react to low voltage before you get the engine running and throw errors. This is why the flat battery may have caused your EAS to fault. .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #368774 25th Jan 2016 1:16am
ian

Hi
i have tried the by pass on the compressor, and the motor is running. Whilst doing this, should i have expected the air suspension to go up, as the pump is running? also noticed the control lights didnt come on.
i dont think the bags are leaking as the vehicle has sat at the same level for nearly a day, i would have expected a leak to have at least lowered one side after this period, especially as there is no compressor back up. is the any other wya of diagnosing a fault without a fault code reader?

Post #368815 25th Jan 2016 1:23pm
le25dse

Norway 2014 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Loire Blue

There are valve blocks between the compressor and the air bags. That's why the air suspension didn't go up as you expected. ----------
2014 tdv6 (ex. 2004 td6, 1997 2.5 dse)

Post #368849 25th Jan 2016 5:09pm
ian

Well I have tried the hard reset after fitting a new battery this didn't help!
So then replaced the seals in the compressor this has been of benefit as the relief valve in the wheel well will now vent over pressure air
My question can anyone give a clear indication of what could actually cause the control switch lights to go out, without resorting to a fault code reader?

Post #369578 30th Jan 2016 5:45pm
Joe90

England 

Hard fault is not normally sorted by battery disconnect procedure. Thumbs Up

A hard fault is usually caused by some "catastrophic" failure of the EAS that the ECU deems such a "worry" that it shuts down the EAS to prevent the vehicle being driven for safety reasons. (Which should then point you to an LR dealer to get the problem resolved and for you to exchange £££s for the privilege Evil or Very Mad )

I have advised you twice, so perhaps third time lucky...get a diagnostic reader (IID/Hawkeye etc.)...or take your FFRR to a garage that has diagnostic equipment (T4/Solus etc.). Having your own WILL save you money n the long run. Smile .
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Post #369599 30th Jan 2016 7:57pm
Stormin

2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Epsom Green

I have just had a similar problem that I've finally fixed after spending far too much money.

My suspension was inactive, all the lights on the height switch were locked.

New compressor bought and fitted, still no change. In formed that the suspension needed an update.

So off to the stealer it goes as my indie cant do it, still no joy

Fault traced to a piece of wood stuck in the reservoir under the chassis.

New reservoir fitted and it flies up and down, suspension does seem a bit hard but perhaps it had a leak for ages. Three things in a blokes life his dog,his car and a Cornish pasty,nothing else matters.

2010 Range Rover Vogue SE Santorini Black, Arabica Aniline seats

Previous cars
1973 Mini 1000
1971 Hillman Avenger
1975 Chrysler Sunbeam
1981 Ford Cortina
1985 Volvo 340
1989 VW Golf
1989 Volvo 240
1991 Volvo 240
1991 Jaguar Soveriegn
1996 BMW 730
2003 Honda CRV
1999 Jaguar Soveriegn
2003 Range Rover HSE Epson Green with Sand trim.

Post #369710 31st Jan 2016 12:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>