Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > OOps accidently clocked my RR! L322 TD6
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bleeperman

2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Balmoral Blue
OOps accidently clocked my RR! L322 TD6

Pixels went on cluster so after trashing the ribbon repair Rolling with laughter replaced with a second hand cluster. Honestly just noticed prior to MOT that my mileage reads low. I have a dot near trip miles. Do I need to have this adjusted at main dealer?

Post #370785 5th Feb 2016 9:19pm
nicksaab

2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

The dot is a visual sign to say that the dash cluster mileage doesn't match that stored in the BCM.

I didn't have much luck a couple of years ago with getting a second hand dash reprogrammed and in the end came to the conclusion it couldn't be done - in the end had the original cluster professionally repaired. Current Fleet:-
2018 Discovery 5 3.0 HSE
2021 Ford Ranger Wildtrack
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt 5.0 V8
1993 Defender 90 200TDI Pickup

Gone - not forgotten
2016 L405 4.4 SDV8 Vogue SE
2012 L322 4.4 Westminster
2004 L322 4.4 V8 Autobiography LE
2000 P38 RR 4.0 HSE (ex Clarkson test car)

Post #370788 5th Feb 2016 9:54pm
comports

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Mariana Black

The issue is that the cluster (and many other ecu's) can only be programmed from new. Once used , they are fixed.

I had the dot when I upgraded my 54 plate VSE with a new LCM (Light control module) to get auto lights/wipers. The mileage was different from the cluster so got the dot. My indy tried a few times with various gadgetry to update the LCM but it never worked. I lived with the dot to be honest as the cluster still showed correct mileage.

Apparently even main dealers can't adjust the mileage once the unit is used so either brand new one required (and coded) or just live with it I believe. Ash
------------------------------------------------------
2016 SDV8 AB

Post #370795 5th Feb 2016 11:12pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

It was explained to me, that if the secondhand cluster is higher miles, than the old one, it won't clock up miles, until the car catches up with the displayes 'new' mileage, via the LCM. And maybe then, the dot disappears....
Secondly, It could be a tactic, of an unscrupulous seller to use a lower mileage secondhand cluster, to make it appear, lower mileage, in this instance, it writes the actual mileage, to the incoming cluster, Ie, it jumps upwards...and it remains 'correct' making this naughty practice extremely difficult. You could do this on old cars, but now you can check the yearly mileage on the mot history, before you even go to see the car... You also see that secondhand parts sellers state the actual mileage, of the available secondhand cluster, to help the purchaser etc.

Post #370801 5th Feb 2016 11:39pm
bleeperman

Bloody computers not that clever are they. Wonder what the MOT garage will say when I go to have it tested its done -20k since last MOT!Complication could do without before I sell Rolling with laughter . I will have to get a fuel card print out to see if i can pass any vaguely accurate miles to purchaser. Is any info available via GAP tool?

Just bought another and yes MOT history is a great improvement. On my second TD6 now an 04 with only 65K genuine miles. Very Happy

Post #370840 6th Feb 2016 11:21am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Have you spoken to someone like this?

http://mileagechanger.com/?gclid=CN6-6ZT34soCFUa4GwodOr0O2Q

Recon they could probably help.... I know for a fact that it's possible to get the car 'adjusted' Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #370841 6th Feb 2016 11:32am
steptoe

England 

The dot doesn't signify the mileage has been altered. It simply shows that a part has been changed in the LCM? instrument data.

I have a "dot" next to my mileage due to me fitting a secondhand LCM. It didn't effect the mileage reading it stayed the same original reading and works exactly as it did.
I've kept the original LCM which can be plugged back which will cancel the dot and prove the mileage to be reading correctly if i ever sell it.

Post #370849 6th Feb 2016 12:16pm
bleeperman

Yes probably function of LCM but my cluster has gone backwards 20k. Thanks for replies and for the clocking service very interesting. Due to mine being high miles probably nearer 200k and his website says its only illegal if I don't disclose I will probably sell as is and info. FYI £90 quid and visit to Liverpool sounds routine, dangerous in the wrong hands!

Thumbs Up

Post #370858 6th Feb 2016 12:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1