Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Think I need a new steering rack, any idea of UK costs?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Think I need a new steering rack, any idea of UK costs?

There's the slight wobble between 50-60 mph, and my garage said it will need replacing next year. They're quoting me about £1k, which I thought was reasonable. I was wondering if that's about par for the course in the UK also, or whether I should get it done in the UK next time I'm over - things normally being more expensive here in Switzerland.

Having had a look round the forum it seems par for the course - anyone else have the same experience?

It's a 2003 TD6 by the way.

Post #35526 10th Nov 2010 7:19am
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

Have you checked the front lower ball joints? Do you have any clunking when you go over bumps etc? I had a slight wobble that turned out to be these, even though everything I read pointed to the steering rack. 

Post #35529 10th Nov 2010 8:21am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

the obvious thing would be wheel balancing , if thats ok then is your steering slightly heavy when reducing speed for a corner or roundabout, if it is, it could be the servotronic valve which regulates the dampening of the power steering... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #35530 10th Nov 2010 8:26am
47p2

Scotland 

Inner track rod arms are another item that should be checked before fitting a new rack

Post #35532 10th Nov 2010 9:00am
KurtVerbose

Guys, I'm not saying there's a wobble, so it must be the rack. The garage has detected play in the rack.

Post #35545 10th Nov 2010 10:36am
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

in your first post you did say there was a wobble....

i'm not surprised the garage has detected a play in the rack, £1k is a lot of money!!!!... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

Post #35547 10th Nov 2010 10:39am
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

Until you have noticed some sort of symptom, or they can show you the "play" then don't believe them. 

Post #35548 10th Nov 2010 10:44am
KurtVerbose

scarey wrote:
in your first post you did say there was a wobble....

i'm not surprised the garage has detected a play in the rack, £1k is a lot of money!!!!...

I wrote there's a wobble and they've detected play in the rack. What I wasn't doing was attributing one to the other, and neither were the garage. They detected play in the rack before I mentioned the wobble. They just said there's play and it will get worse, when it fails the MOT bring it in, or before. Can't say how in saying that they're being dishonest.

Yes, the wobble could be track rod arms/lower ball joints/or even wheel balancing, although it's the same on both my summer and winter wheels so I doubt it's the wheels needing balancing. I'm not actually at the stage of checking stuff or replacing stuff, just wondered what it would cost to replace a rack in the uk, should I need to.

Post #35724 11th Nov 2010 10:17am
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

the easiest way would be to email a few dealers here and ask for a quote ,but, as with everything going up in price , the rack price 'might' go up nearer the time you want it replaced.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

Post #35728 11th Nov 2010 10:27am
JIMMYM

United Kingdom 

Just had a rack fitted on my 2005 TD6 recently. From memory a factory refurb is circa £550+vat exchange, a brand new genuine is circa £1050+vat. Then you've got fitting - my indy charged for 4 hours I think - they partially dismantle rack by removing track rod ends and wheedling in place. Dealer book time is longer I've heard - about double that. From memory I paid about £250 for fitting with new fluid and Vat. Brand new rack comes with new servotronic valve and track rod ends. I dropped lucky and managed to locate one in local LR dealer's part dept that they'd had in stock for ages and had wrote down in books. Parts guy did me a good deal at £250 but jibbed at warranting it though. Hope this helps.

Post #35756 11th Nov 2010 12:20pm
KurtVerbose

JIMMYM wrote:
Just had a rack fitted on my 2005 TD6 recently. From memory a factory refurb is circa £550+vat exchange, a brand new genuine is circa £1050+vat. Then you've got fitting - my indy charged for 4 hours I think - they partially dismantle rack by removing track rod ends and wheedling in place. Dealer book time is longer I've heard - about double that. From memory I paid about £250 for fitting with new fluid and Vat. Brand new rack comes with new servotronic valve and track rod ends. I dropped lucky and managed to locate one in local LR dealer's part dept that they'd had in stock for ages and had wrote down in books. Parts guy did me a good deal at £250 but jibbed at warranting it though. Hope this helps.

Thanks JIMMYM, that's just the information I wanted.

Post #35924 12th Nov 2010 5:29pm
JIMMYM

United Kingdom 

Kurt,

I replaced the rack as power assistance kept dropping off at low speed and parking and I needed arms like Stallone to park. That's been cured with new rack - but still got 60-70 mph slight flutter on steering wheel with new rack despite having front wheels rebalanced and zeroed. Have read somewhere that it's supposed to be an inherent design flaw in L322s - could be to do with harmonics of driveshafts etc at certain frequencies.
There's a LR bulletin that's like War and Peace dedicated to balancing the front wheels obviously to try and minimise vibration. Can't see LR going to all that trouble if they hadn't recognised there's a problem.
Just worth considering before lashing out a grand on a new rack unless you're 100% certain it's goosed.

Post #36513 17th Nov 2010 12:19pm
47p2

Scotland 

It's not only the L322 that suffers from front wheel shimmy, the Classic and the P38 are renowned for it along with older Land Rovers Sad

Post #36521 17th Nov 2010 1:53pm
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

JIMMYM wrote:
Kurt,

I replaced the rack as power assistance kept dropping off at low speed and parking and I needed arms like Stallone to park. That's been cured with new rack - but still got 60-70 mph slight flutter on steering wheel with new rack despite having front wheels rebalanced and zeroed. Have read somewhere that it's supposed to be an inherent design flaw in L322s - could be to do with harmonics of driveshafts etc at certain frequencies.
There's a LR bulletin that's like War and Peace dedicated to balancing the front wheels obviously to try and minimise vibration. Can't see LR going to all that trouble if they hadn't recognised there's a problem.
Just worth considering before lashing out a grand on a new rack unless you're 100% certain it's goosed.

i'm surprised that you weren't advised to firstly change the servotronic valve as this regulates the power steering ..mine started to do as yours did but not so severe and i have changed mine and the steering is back to normal..cast, £60 plus a half hour easy job .. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

Post #36524 17th Nov 2010 2:06pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

"If" (and you need to prove it) the rack's goosed, there are a gazillion places in the UK who refurbish them. I have had loads done with various rally cars over the years. So many that I ended up doing a few myself which is not as hard as it sounds as long as you have a decent bench vice and a good selection of hand tools.

Obviously if you're going to fit yourself you need a good trolley jack and a ball joint splitter as a minimum. Beyond this it's nostly spanners, pliers, small screwdrivers and a set of feeler gauges.

Either way, it will be a whole heap cheaper than a grand.
just one from a quick google
http://www.kellybraysteering.co.uk/

Post #36536 17th Nov 2010 2:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>