Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > ZF6 transmission clunk. How serious?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RidgeRover

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black
ZF6 transmission clunk. How serious?

I bought my 2007 4.2 sc 2 weeks ago (at 70,000 miles) and while most gear changes are smooth I get a very occasional clunk on upshift from 4 - 3. It only seems to happen in a very specific scenario when the vehicle coasts down a gentle incline then back up a gentle slope and needs to change up. I can also emulate it by changing from drive to sports mode in 4th while coasting.

I had the box flushed a week ago and while it improved overall smoothness it didnt resolve this one occasional case.

I took her back to the dealer on Friday and they flashed the transmission - again normal driving is superb but still this one case remains.

I'm just wondering how serious this could be and whether I should push the dealer for a replacement mechatronics or solenoids? I suspect it will cause some agro if I do, since they were convinced that the issue was fixed.

Any advice?

Last edited by RidgeRover on 14th Feb 2016 9:42am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #372255 14th Feb 2016 1:47am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Put it this way, it didn't leave the factory like that and it shouldn't be doing it, take it back, explain it's still not fixed and get them to sort it, they might not like it but that is the risk they take when being a used car dealer.... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #372266 14th Feb 2016 2:41am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

This could be the same problem I had with it. Let me find the thread and put it up here to help you Smile MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #372275 14th Feb 2016 10:15am
ebajema

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic17348....box+rrphil

Once you look through it you'll see it only one solenoid that needs replacing not the entire set Wink MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #372278 14th Feb 2016 10:18am
RidgeRover

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

Thanks ebajema that's very helpful.

My challenge now is to decide whether to try and push the dealer to fix it or to claim a full refund and walk away. Supposedly the new Consumer Rights Act in the UK allows for that, although I don't know how much of a fight it will be. Normally I'd go for the fix since I like the rest of the vehicle, but having given the dealer one chance to fix it and them not doing so, I'm a bit wary. There is no way that with proper testing they didn't pick this up since we discussed clearly how to emulate the issue in manual, and I know the owner of the dealer himself tested it. I'm worried that they are being cheap and won't do a proper job.

Post #372306 14th Feb 2016 12:48pm
ebajema

When I started to do the research I found out a few things :

- This gearbox is fitted to a LOT of different cars including Bentley etc. They are extremely well built and reliable hence the reason this fault took a while to find. This is based on information from a company that only does automatic gearboxes in the Netherlands. Thanks to RRPhil and his vast experience and keen mind we found out what the problem was.

- The only problem (that I had probably partly due to the numties that call themselves our mechanics and filled the cooling system with pure water !!!) was the coolers on the early models going quickly (found that on an Australian site).

My suggestion is to give the dealer the benefit of the doubt, give them this information and ask them if they are happy to try to resolve the problem like this without any liability on your side. Just let them know this has fixed a similar problem in several forum Range Rovers and since it is a cheap fix it may solve your and their problem. Make sure that if this doesn't work, they are still fully responsible for fixing the problem or you return the car if you decide to do so. Just give this information as a "good will gesture to hopefully help them to fix the problem cheaply".

If they won't play ball, find a good indy and let them install the solenoid and see if that works, just never tell the dealer Wink

Cheers,

Eugene MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #372319 14th Feb 2016 2:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1