Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Broken stuff - steering column and heated seats
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ballast

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black
Broken stuff - steering column and heated seats

Hi - following a weekend of fun, I thought I'd share some of my experiences trying to solve some of the broken bits on my recently acquired 2007 FFRR. I have been surprised by the comparative lack of detailed fix information with some of the problems, the steering column adjustment being a good example (and the fact that quite a lot of the info seems to relate to earlier models with different problems).

My steering column won't adjust. The column itself was fixed and steady, but no adjustment. I had a devil of a job removing all the surrounding dash (particularly the panel immediately below the steering wheel) and had to be content with simply flapping it up (I couldn't work out how it was fixed by the instrument cluster binnacle).

The motors themselves work a treat when I applied 12V directly onto the motor contacts (and reversed for opposite operation); nothing at all wrong with the physical mechanics of the steering column, all good. After I adjusted (applying 12V directly) to where I wanted it, the wheel then moved automatically when I remove/insert the key (i.e. as part of its courtesy operation), but still nothing with the stalk.

Looking at the manual, there is clearly a junction box somewhere that links all the steering column adjustment cables, but I just can't find it. This must be where the problem resides. Some websites indicate that the column ECU is within the ignition block, but there must be something else somewhere given the cables involved.

If anyone has got any ideas or/and done this, I'd be really pleased to hear.

The next challenge was the drivers seat, which won't heat. I read various posts elsewhere that had the same problem and described similar circumstances to mine. The passenger seat works OK; the fan runs (audibly) on cool, but on heat appears to run for the first few seconds and then (audibly at least) seems to switch off (on position 3). I'm assuming this is the correct operation given that the seat does heat. I do find it very difficult to feel if the back of the seat is heating/cooling.

The drivers seat will cool, but heat doesn't work. The fan kicks in and runs (like the passenger seat), but won't heat. I took the seat out, cleaned up the fan, etc. (in the base) and all looked good; cleaned all the connectors, etc. I couldn't find enough info to take the back of the seat apart for fear of damage. The Hawkeye is recording a damaged seal/fluid leak(?) fault against the drivers seat.

Again, any further words of wisdom would be really appreciated.

Fuel gauge is next - again lots of comments on this and as per my D4, the problem is very likely to be the sender in the tank. what sort of job is this on a RR; do-able at home on jacks/wheel ramps? Fixing the sender is fine, but what about dropping the tank? Do you really have to drop it? Big Cry

Rear n/s window is not functional, but I'm struggling to see exactly how the door trim attaches and I don't want to damage it. Banging Head

I have ordered a workshop manual by the way!! Thumbs Up

I do realise I sound as though I've never taken a car apart in my life, which couldn't be further from the truth. My observation is that the FFRR utilises many more (hidden!) screws where as the D3/D4/RRS tend to use clips to secure panels, etc. and therefore a good heave doesn't always work! Shocked

Post #374869 29th Feb 2016 2:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1