Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Odd Issues with my TDV8 - Fixed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
proser

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey
Odd Issues with my TDV8 - Fixed

Last week it started with starting car after standing for a few days and it was just in limp mode. Pulled out the IID Tool and checked on fault codes.
Against the engine I had P0661-11 (2F) Intake Manifold tuning valve control -circuit low - bank 1 - General electrical failure - circuit short to ground

This is where the fun started, spoke to local dealers and had no idea (including shop foreman) what a 'ntake Manifold tuning valve' was. They even emailed LR and got a reply to send in a picture of it and they will look into where it is on the engine Censored
Eventually worked out (from topix) that it's actually the electrical control of the EGR valve, removed the EGRs and looked good but decided to get replacements. This did not clear the fault code.
Decided to do some circuit checking and therefore opened up the housing for the PCM. Noticed that there were some fuses in there. checking them and found that one (15amp) had blown. replaced and checked on codes. Managed to clear the code and it didn't come back Smile .
Put everything back together and decided to do a test drive. Pulling away power was near on nothing there but picked up and rand fine are higher speed but town driving it was hit and miss. Then MIL came on. Pulled over and had codes of :
P0104-38 & P010E-38 - referring to MAF
P0113-17 (2C) Intake air temperature sensor 1 - circuit high input - General Electrical failure - circuit voltage above threshold.
Cleared codes and decided to run IID Tool in live mode against the MAF. MAF 1 was running a bit erratic and the graph showing a drop each time the power dropped, but MAF 2 was constant. Swap MAFS around and the error moved the MAF 2.
Ordered up a new VDO MAF.

New MAF arrived today and replaced the one playing up. Connected IID Tool and checked live values, still showing a bit out and also the intake temp had defaulted at -40 (failed sensor). First thought was that I had a DOA Big Cry then decided to check the resistance of the MAF (pins 2 & 3) and found that it was within tolerance (2.5K at 20 celsius). Also checked the old MAF and that was also within tolerance Censored Big Cry So I bridged the connector to the MAF and the valve went from -40 to 130 Celsius, which means that PCM is good and reading correctly.
Whilst checking the connector I noticed a little bit of smoke coming up inform of the airbox between the rad and headlight and then heard a 'pop'. checked fuses and found that the same fuse had blown again Evil or Very Mad
Checked to see where that smoke came from. Removed the headlight to get a good look and found that the wiring from the MAFs runs down behind the headlight and it clipped in place in several places but found that one clip was loose and the wiring had been rubbing on the metal work and had been shorting depending upon position etc. You can see in the pic (the tape had been removed to get a better look at the wires.

Click image to enlarge

Wrapped the two bare wired individually and then wrapped all together and finally covered in split conduit and then another layer of insulation tape. Put clip back in place on the body to make sure there was no way it could move and rub again.
Replaced the blown fuse.

Put everything back together and test drive revealed that it's back to running great again Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Probably didn't need to replace the parts but that can be the nature of try to diagnose and resolve the faults logged in the ECUs, but I know that I have a spare MAF and EGR if needed in the future.

Hope this might help someone in the future Regards
Mark

2012 Westminster
GONE - 2007 Java Black FF Vogue, with Ivory interior

Post #374031 25th Feb 2016 12:12am
gregdav

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Good to hear mark.
Well done. !
Thumbs Up

Post #374077 25th Feb 2016 10:48am
Dijit

Scotland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black

Great work detective, thanks for sharing. Bow down Rehab is for quitters!!!

RR 2007 3.6 TDV8 Java Black
RR 2007 3.6 TDV8 Zermatt silver
RR 2000 P38 4.6 Met red
Mercedes 300TE 4-Matic
Nissan 300Z
Citroen XM 2.5TD X 6
Bentley Continental R
Hydrocon Highlander
Hydrocon Hamilton
Hydrocon Huntly
The restoration of the last three will account for my time during retirement!

Departed
LR 1992 110 2.5TD
RR 2000 Holland & Holland 4.6 LPG
RR 4.2 Supercharged with LPG, Vogue SE 2007 Buckingham Blue
RR 2002 4.4 V8 Zambesi Silver

Post #374118 25th Feb 2016 4:56pm
Pvw10

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Firenze Red

Top detection work Many thanks
Paul

Post #374131 25th Feb 2016 5:51pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Well done on that one... Thumbs Up still probably cost less than half what the dealer would have charged to get there.... Rolling Eyes

All because some Censored on the production line didn't secure it properly... Big Cry

I've found several trapped and worn wires on mine that looked original... Censored Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #374136 25th Feb 2016 6:29pm
PaulB

2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Good work Thumbs Up

Post #374143 25th Feb 2016 7:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1