Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > New L405 Owner saying hi
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Jonttt

United Kingdom 
New L405 Owner saying hi

My first RR as a daily driver although I'm not new to the brand as we have a few as pool cars at work.......

my new daily

I've resisted having one as a daily for a long time due to both their size and the tax man (its a company car). Over the past few years I have gradually down sized my daily's mainly across the Mercedes brand going from S class -> E class -> C Class but I'm back doing a 100 mile round trip daily so decided to get a bit of luxury back in my life and sod the tax man Wink

First impressions after a week of driving are great. I have a fair benchmark re luxury cars (see below) and amongst high net worth people I know the RR is the daily of choice for a reason.

I swapped from a hybrid Merc C300 which was a fantastic car, hybrid technology really is the near future and merc are on top of their game at the moment. The RR technology wise is a step backwards but it has "character" lol and has not dampened my enjoyment of the car.

On the plus side I've easily managed to get UK speed cameras, red light cameras and SPECS working. I'm used to hacking nav files but on the RR that was not required and was a breeze to import the data.

On the downside what is it with the DAB radio (I'm in the UK). I've had quite a few cars now with DAB and yet this is the first that has real trouble moving transponders. I cross 3 transmission zones on my drive to work (Liverpool, Manchester and Lancashire) and there is a 3 mile stretch when the radio just loses the signal constantly while trying to find it on another transponder. Its seemless on every other car I've had doing the same trip.

The only other "issue" I have (may not be one though) is that the heated seats do not seem to get very hot, as in I can tell they are on but have to check with my hand. In the mercs you can almost burn you bum in them. I'll have to try them on one of our other RR to compare.

I'm a bit of a car nut and tend to change my daily drives when I get bored with them so lets see how I get on with the RR. I think the biggest issue for me with be the size for a daily. Motorways, great but I use city centre multi story car parks regularly and 22 inch wheels may not last long lol

ps I had a great day with RR last year when we picked up one of the first LWB Black Editions in the UK....

and some other toys....

I've already picked up some useful information on here so hopefully will be able to give something back.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #378437 20th Mar 2016 9:23am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Welcome Thumbs Up

It's certainly black Laughing

What spec is it - are the seats just heated or heated & cooled ?

I have the heated/cooled & generally need to turn them down after 10 mins or so as they get a bit too warm.

Good luck with the wheels - I have the silver version & have been very careful - but in the year I've had it, I managed to pick up 2 small kerb marks - they are harder to notice on the silver wheels, but will be very apparent on the black ones.

Post #378439 20th Mar 2016 9:30am
Scotland

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Aintree Green

How do you add speed camera data etc to the NAV system. Had no idea this might be possible, at the moment I use a Cyclops system on my iPhone but then equally I don't have SatNav in my RR Classic but will in my wife's L405 when we get it!

Post #378447 20th Mar 2016 10:04am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Instructions in this thread Thumbs Up

Post #378448 20th Mar 2016 10:16am
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE 5.0 SC V8 Havana

Black is the new black? Shocked Laughing Welcome Wink ( and i changed every single black bit on my car back to silver Laughing )

The heating seats are VERY HOT - get yours checked at your local dealers. Thumbs Up All my spelling errorz are belong to me!

2023 FFRR L460
2020 Range Rover Velar

Post #378451 20th Mar 2016 11:15am
Jkay

Australia 

Heated seats? Never heard of them..... Laughing

I have the same issue the other way round, in that my cooled seats aren't cool
Enough

I like your side steps. Scheduled to get mine fitted in a few days at the stealers.

Oh and welcome to the forum

Cheers
Jkay 2015 SDV8 Autobiography - Black, Cirrus, 22" Style 707 Wheels

Post #378459 20th Mar 2016 11:55am
Jonttt

United Kingdom 

Thanks guys, I have booked the car into the dealers next Friday to get the seat heating checked out Thumbs Up

Ps I've ordered some touch up paint for the wheels ready. I'm generally very good with wheels but given the size of the car I'll be harder, I already have to do a 3 point turn to get into the underground car park entrance at one of my offices Embarassed

Post #378461 20th Mar 2016 12:02pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Very nice Jonttt Thumbs Up

Welcome along Thumbs Up

Post #378462 20th Mar 2016 12:04pm
Jonttt

United Kingdom 

Ps re the speed camera POI's.....

The instructions I read said that they won't work unless you view the sat nav at least once after startup. That's not the case with mine I've they sound even if I've not used/viewed the sat nav Thumbs Up

I originally downloaded the "all in one" file but found that annoying as it included mobile locations that simply are not there anymore.

So I downloaded the 3 separate files :

- Gatso
- Red Light cameras
- Average speed camera (SPECS)

I therefore have 3 separate extra POI's. I set them each up with the 3 different coloured exclamation mark symbols (so I can tell which is which on the map) and have each set to show BUT I only have the GATSO POI set to make a sound. I never get caught by red light or SPECS so use them just for info but I've been done by GATSO lots of times over the years, usually near where I live late at night (I've no traffic) when I'm not concentrating enough eg 36 in a 30 zone. So I find these really useful to warn me remind me I'm in an accident blacks pot area Mr. Green

I'm just playing around with AVI video files to convert MPEG's to play via USB stick on the rear screens. I've found the Rear screens really good. My daughter has used iPads in the past but gets a little car sick with them. Using the fixed screen and being able to watch live children's TV via wireless headphones has not made her feel sick at all. The control system for using the rear screens is just weird, once you get used to it its OK but no very intuitive at all. I work with architects all the time and software engineers must be the same ie do they never actually use the products the design Rolling with laughter

Pps sadly I think the winged headrests that came with the rear seat entertainment are ace Whistle

Post #378464 20th Mar 2016 12:12pm
Jonttt

United Kingdom 

Re the steps.......

We have the auto steps on some of the cars on the pool fleet but I prefer the fixed ones, they feel a lot more substantial. Having steps make getting in the car more of an "event" Thumbs Up

Post #378468 20th Mar 2016 12:18pm
Jonttt

United Kingdom 

Re the black pack on black......

My mates have already told me it's pimps car Embarassed

It does not help it stands out with the reg plate which is a very distinctive single letter and single number for my initials Embarassed

I live around a lot of the premiership footballers and can see the disappointment on people faces when they realise it's not a footballer in the car Rolling Eyes

Post #378469 20th Mar 2016 12:22pm
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

Black!

I had a black car once. It did my head in. Looked fabulous when clean but it only seemed to stay clean for about a nanosecond. Sold it very quickly.

You've got two black cars. Fair play but you have a stronger stomach for getting them cleaned than I do.

What do you think of the side steps? I'm not a fan personally but I'm thinking of having the electric disability ramp things put on mine as the wife struggles if she's wearing a tight skirt and the aged parents almost need a shove up the Arsenal to get them in.

Post #378472 20th Mar 2016 12:32pm
Jonttt

United Kingdom 

lol, I'm lucky enough that the company cars get valeted through the business Wink

I do like cleaning cars but agree with the you black, you have to keep on top of it more than any other colour. I did wash the RR yesturday pre the pics, big car lol so will be leaving it to the pros and I'll concentrate on my classics which are about a 3rd of the size!

Re the side steps, I would not get one without to be honest. As I've already said it makes it more of an event when getting in. I've used pool cars in the past with the auto ones which are too gimmicky for me and do not seem as robust as the fixed ones. Plus you can step on them to clean the panoramic roof Whistle

Post #378494 20th Mar 2016 3:04pm
DrF

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Orkney Grey

Thumbs Up

Post #378504 20th Mar 2016 4:38pm
Jkay

Australia 

Re steps, I was contemplating fixed or deployable, and decided on fixed steps in the end, one for the reason you mentioned in that it feels more robust and I just prefer the look of them, plus less to go
Wrong electronically.

That and it would have cost significantly more (2-3 times more) for deployable, not worth the price I was quoted

Black, I washed mine yesterday and took me over an hour ...... Don't know how long till I get tired of this lol..... 2015 SDV8 Autobiography - Black, Cirrus, 22" Style 707 Wheels

Post #378540 20th Mar 2016 7:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>