Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Power steering fluid flush
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
kyle h.

United States 2006 Range Rover Westminster 4.2 SC V8 Java Black
Power steering fluid flush

I have a 2006 w/ almost 90k US miles on it. I recently purchased it and while changing the oil, noticed a power steering fluid leak from a copper crush washer near the oil filter (4.2SC), I suppose it was on the pump, but can't remember right now. I tightened the banjo bolt and crossed my fingers until I change the oil again. After I was all cleaned up I noticed the power steering fluid was at the min mark and I can also hear the pump moaning a bit if I turn the wheel while stoped at idle.

So I'd like to start by replacing the fluid. I see the manual call for 4 liters to flush it. Searching online I see some people saying they did it with 2 liters? Before I spend $100+ on fluid has anyone here replaced the power steering fluid and recommend doing it any differently than what the manual states?

Post #374465 27th Feb 2016 2:23am
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

It's not something which is done regularly as a matter of course. Personally I would just top it up. Thumbs Up There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #374475 27th Feb 2016 9:00am
smighall

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Buckingham Blue

I've done it and put instructions up on here before. I'll see if i can find it for you.

Post #374483 27th Feb 2016 9:29am
smighall

From this thread -> http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/post309180.html#309180

You need two people, one to start and stop the engine the other to do the dirty bits....

Take off front engine cover.

Get yourself a 2 litre bottle (I used an old coke bottle). This will be used to collect all of the old fluid.

Get your new PAS fluid ready with lids off and within reach.

Put a rag or something to catch any spillages from hitting the alternator below.

Now on the right hand side of the PAS pump, there is a hose clamped onto the plastic reservoir. This is the return feed. Undo the clamp.

Pull the pipe off and be ready to stop the flow of PAS fluid from the reservoir with your finger/thumb. Place the hose into the empty bottle, it should sit nicely in the engine bay just to the side of the PAS pump on the chassis leg.

Now be ready to fill the reservoir and keep filling as this next bit happens fast.

Whilst you're filling the reservoir get your helper to start the engine (DO NOT REV THE ENGINE AT ALL), let it idle and be prepared to turn off as soon as you tell them too.

Keep filling with fluid until you see the right colour / new fluid coming into the bottle (new fluid is green if you have the correct Land Rover Fluid). Switch off the engine.

Reconnect the hose to the reservoir and top up the fluid.

Start the engine and turn the steering from lock to lock to bleed the system. Make sure you keep checking the fluid level whilst doing this to make sure you do not run it dry.

Mop up any spillages, remove rag above alternator, refit engine cover etc

Job done Thumbs Up

One slight difference i did, as i had two separate 1L bottles of fluid i had to get my helper to switch off whilst i changed bottles over. If you can decant the fluid into something else first it may well be easier.

Post #374484 27th Feb 2016 9:30am
kyle h.

United States 2006 Range Rover Westminster 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

Thanks for the info. The biggest difference I see between your method and the manuals is that you only used 2 liters of fluid. I saw this mentioned somewhere else on the interwebs. Sounds like 4 liters (per the manual) might be overkill.

thinking...

so if I remember the manual correctly, it states to turn the wheel lock to lock while flushing it. from your instructions it doesnt seem like you've done this. maybe this is where the other 2 liters of fluid is going?

Post #374550 27th Feb 2016 5:48pm
smighall

2 litres was plenty when i did it Thumbs Up

Post #374554 27th Feb 2016 6:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1