Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > Does a P38A qualify as a FFRR?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gregr

2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue
Does a P38A qualify as a FFRR?

Afternoon all,

Just discovered this site recently and thought I'd say hello. Current steed is a May 2002 Vogue SE in Epsom green with 4.6litre V8.

I've always been a petrol head and one of my first proper cars was a Lotus Elise which served me (reasonably) well for nearly four years and several track-days. Junior number one arrived then I bought an Audi RS6, V8 again which lasted until a house move. Several years in a boring legacy estate then bought a limited edition Impreza (rb320) then bought a Porsche 911. I loved that car. Porsche had to go to free up funds for another house move so I had a small dollop of cash to find a car to keep me going.

Enter the 2002 Vogue SE. I can't explain the attraction but I'd always fancied one and in the 18 months I've had her (The Duchess as she's known) I've had a great time. The waft ability has to be second to none at this price point. Electric everything, including headrests, and acres of wood and leather make it a very special place to sit.

Sure there have been niggles....

Corroded brake pipe livened up my morning once. The blend motors died. My son jammed a toy in a seatbelt buckle (that's hardly the car's fault!) and the radio jammed on. Oh and the battery died. On a 14 year old car, that's not that bad!!

So after those 18 months I've decided I rather like range rovers and I think I'll be having a last-gen L322. Preferably with rear entertainment and retractable side steps. High milers are all I can afford so I'll be off to mug up on buying guides.

Looking forward to contributing to the forum in future.

All the best

Greg

ps here's a shot from when I bought her

Post #378012 17th Mar 2016 4:40pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Well, technically not a FFRR, mainly because the Semi-Skimmed wasn't out during the life of the P38. But it's a Range Rover from the generation when all Range Rover were real ones Thumbs Up

Oh, and welcome along. Very Happy

Post #378014 17th Mar 2016 4:48pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

The pictures in the site banner will need updating then Whistle Thumbs Up

Post #378017 17th Mar 2016 5:16pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Yes, I think we only needed the Full Fat moniker when the Sport came out.... There was only 1 Range Rover before that happened.

The number of folk that say to me "Oh, you've got a Vogue" and they are not referring to the trim level, but the car model. Many a happy time explaining the where's and wherefores of models.....

Welcome to the forum. If you look at the 4.4 TDV8, make sure there is not a massive oil leak at the back of the engine ! Whistle

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #378020 17th Mar 2016 5:29pm
DeRanged Rover

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Java Black

Welcome to the forum! Great place for lots of useful info and banter too!

I had a P38 before I got the FF and I quite liked it but the FF was a great step up in terms of refinement and drive.
Also just got myself a 911 - much to the wife's displeasure (she hasn't spoken to me for 3 weeks now but Hey Ho!).

Welcome again and look forward to seeing the new acquisition in due course! African Bush Junkie ... in London!

Stats:
2006 TD6 Vogue SE
1972-2015 DeRanged Rover
2001 P38 dHSE (SOLD)

Post #378032 17th Mar 2016 6:34pm
Edfors

Sweden 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Alaska White

Welcome to the nut house! Very Happy

I'm one of many others who has had a couple of P38As previously, I have a special respect for those who still have these mean machines and keep them running Thumbs Up

The last V8 I had.

Click image to enlarge

And my brothers diesel.
Click image to enlarge

Look forward to some photos of yours Wink Supporter and maintainer of EDF - Mrs Edfors' shopping cart.

Post #378044 17th Mar 2016 7:41pm
Gregr

2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Here she is, a couple from when I bought her and a couple more recent.

Budget only stretches to a 3.6 TDV8, not a 4.4 sadly. I watched the 'high miler' thread with interest, looks like plenty of L322s into the 150k+ zone. I saw one for sale recently that was described as 'chauffeur driven' its whole 220k miles. Like chauffeurs all drive like saints!

Thanks for the welcome all

Greg

Post #378059 17th Mar 2016 8:30pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

I had a couple of nice p38's yes they were lovely cars to drive, a little wallowy , and the under chassis meant the bumps were sort of lorry like, but I loved them. Problem was, their inherent electrical issues were so annoying, what with the key ode lockout, the lock unlock procedure, and flat batteries. You did need to love em, to keep em. Just like a naughty peeing dog.
I moved on from them, to a disco 2 and it was a backward step. It was very reliable, sort of perfect, if you could call it, to a Land Rover, but I hated driving it. Slow and noisy. Terrible lock to lock, and narrow feeling.
I decided I had to have an l322. I was in the low end prices, and bought a non runner. As being a Range Rover owner, I have many tools. Shocked
It was the best thing I ever did, after family births, and meeting wife etc.
It's like day and night. You won't be disappointed. Don't be shy if you are in high miles. I have an early petrol. 165k. So can't comment on the tdv8. But those are even better than my 'old one'. When you pass an older p38, you remember those days,
'Unlock car, open bonnet, fiddle around, swear, start, drive, open door, listen to the new bong. ' and chuckle a little.
Plenty of problems solved on this forum, and not saying we all get problems, but people often come here, in their hour of peril.
There are plenty of threads not relating to problems. And don't forget the many that have no problems.
The drive on the l322, is so good. You will be grinning like a Cheshire Cat.
Edit... I had the p38 brake pipe failure, over the rear subframe.
With the l322, there have been a few corroded pipes, as some of blanked off, with plastic covers.. and don't get picked up by the mot man. Probably just as much as any other car though. Not hard to repair.
I'm sure there's a couple of posts on what to look out for on the tdv8. Turbo's etc, good luck, and welcome.
Thumbs Up

Post #378074 17th Mar 2016 9:39pm
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

To answer the original question, IMHO, while the P38 never needed the FFRR name because it was the only RR (except for the year they still sold the RRC), it was a true, full-sized Range Rover. So it definitely qualifies, but it's a bit anachronistic. Rather like a pre-1990 110 being called a "Defender" - it was just a "Land Rover" because there was only one Land Rover in pre-Disco days.

Post #378284 19th Mar 2016 12:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1