Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > Diesel conversion for a Classic, which engine?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 8 12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
miggit

United Kingdom 
Diesel conversion for a Classic, which engine?

Evening Chaps, as some of you will I do rather a lot of heavy high aerodynamic drag towing, and it would appear that the ffrr TD6 isn't best suited to the job, as I have proved twice now Big Cry Big Cry

I now know that something has to change, and while I would love to stay with a Range Rover, more power and reliability is beyond my price range, plus to be honest I'm sick of all the computers and I have a yearning for the good old days of a Classic. However there are a few problems with this plan...... The V8 is some what lacking in bottom end grunt and will over heat even quicker that normal... by my reckoning about 22 minutes from a cold start Laughing and the fuel consumption will be stupidly high.... If I'm going down that road I might as well buy a yank, and run it on LPG.

And then there is the diesel.... I recon the starter motor on my ffrr has more power Embarassed

So I then thought about the GM V8 Diesel conversion and started looking around..... doesn't look good for spares availability, weight, or gearbox / axle life expectancy Sad

I have now been looking at the Cummings BT6 conversion that has been done on the 90 and 110 Land Rovers..... not an excessive amount of power, but bags of torque, but not enough to destroy the drive train Very Happy

Can you suggest another engine option that will give around 200 hp and 450 - 500 lbs ft without any ECU ie totally mechanical injection, that could be shoved in to a Classic.... I did think about the Toyota 4.2 but the mechanical injection version is only 162 hp and 280 lbs ft, which is in danger of being destroyed territory and they are like hens teeth to find.

Oh and the easier the gearbox conundrum the better... I know where I can lay my grubby mits on a classic, it just needs the engine and box replacing... Ideal Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #378536 20th Mar 2016 6:40pm
Mikey

Scotland 

The 2.8TGV engine? Although lacking a little in power/torque dept...

Or a 300TDi, with the boost cranked up a few go faster bits Thumbs Up

Be a much easier installation...

Post #378563 20th Mar 2016 8:12pm
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

I have a highly tuned 300Tdi in my 110 and it makes nowhere near 200bhp, but it still delivers very respectable performance.

I agree, though, that it'll be a sound and easy installation. Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #378570 20th Mar 2016 8:32pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Mazda 3.0ltr TD... bullit proof, acres of torque... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #378577 20th Mar 2016 8:55pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Better to save yourself all the decisions, and hassle, and search for a Classic, that has already been fitted with a conversion. Yes, you might have to travel, you might have to weld it, but it sure takes the doubt over the engine on a pallet, that you can't be sure was that good, and wiring it in, and fabricating mounts etc.

Post #378583 20th Mar 2016 10:05pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

300 TDi is an engine that I know, but it's not up to the job in standard form, and to get it to 200 hp it must be stressed to the limit..... I will make it go pop, and that's a guaranty Shocked

The Mazda sounds better, but I have a great miss trust of 4 cylinder engines, no matter the capacity, as they are very stressed and have a habit of going pop, Nissan 3.0l D4, Mitsubishi 2.8, Isuzu 3.1 have all been try and destroyed towing bogs. The 200 TDi fared a little better but it was so under powered that the car ate clutches and would not go over 40 mph, the same for the 300TDi but that would manage 45 mph....

So far the only engines to make it beyond 150K were 6 or 8 pot, and I can only assume it was because they were less stressed to start with, and they had more torque. Andby far he best have been the Cummings BT6 in a Dodge Ram and a 7.6 V8 Power Stroke in a Ford F350, which didn't notice the trailer at all Laughing

I'm beginning to think that the Cummings is going to be a better option as they are std on Daf Trucks, so are reasonably easy to get parts for, but there is a slight wee head ache with the gearbox.... might have to join a Defender Forum Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #378597 20th Mar 2016 11:20pm
JasM

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

How about a Mercedes OM606 3.0 engine?

There is a member on the Merc forum who has one fitted in his 1989 E class, which is running at 562 HP & 587 ft lb. Shocked

Here is the thread in the car:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-dis...eeper.html 2014 SDV8 Autobiography Cool

Gone: 2012 RRS SDV6 HSE, 2007 RRS TDV6 HSE

Post #378598 20th Mar 2016 11:34pm
SNR

United States 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

What about a Cummins 4bt? It's lighter than a 6bt, but you can turn up the injection and easily get 200 hp and still get decent mileage. I don't know how easy it would be to find one in the UK. This video show a company that started a 4bt Range Rover project but they don't have any other videos. Their site has some info on it.
Good luck on your project. This is one I also have contemplated.

Post #378600 21st Mar 2016 1:16am
miggit

United Kingdom 

JasM, Shocked That is an impressive out put from a 3.0 lt diesel engine Bow down But having looked at the tuners web site all that power and torque comes in at 5500 RPM +, I'm really looking for low down grunt (torque) but its worth a chat with them Thumbs Up

SNR I did look at the BT4, and realise that it can be tweeked to silly outputs (there's a mob called welderup on the TV, they are in Vegas, and they get Industrial Injection to tweek those engines to 500 BHP Bow down ) But as with the Merc engine the power comes in at high revs, and I really need all the power from tick over.... so the higher output at standard engine is more suitable for my needs... I believe that the BT6 is 160 BHP and 400 lbs ft of torque, and that is the basic 12v engine which is popular over here in trucks, so it can be had easily..... the 4 pot is also available but not as common Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #378601 21st Mar 2016 2:08am
p38arover

Australia 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

An Isuzu 4BD1 3.9 litre diesel that LR used in the Australian Army Perentie 110 and 6x6 (turboed in the 6x6)?

Unbreakable, lots of torque but a bit of vibration!

But not on a ZF auto.

http://www.klrautomotive.com.au/turbo-systems/ (they send turbo kits to the UK) Ron B. VK2OTC
2004 L322 V8 Auto
2007 Yamaha XJR1300
Previous: 1983, 1986 RRC; 1995, 1996 P38A; 1995 Disco1; 1984 V8 County 110; Series IIA

Post #378603 21st Mar 2016 3:59am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

What are you towing Miggit?

Post #378616 21st Mar 2016 8:36am
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Have you considered, test driving a disco 2 manual td5.? I say, because we had one, and it's not a bad car, but I didn't enjoy the car, as much as a Range Rover, but, towing a large caravan was so easy. Ours was an auto, but I'm told the manual is easier. -(to tow) The engine is decent, and they are coming into bargain territory now. From £1500 maybe less. They came out way back in about 1997. Ours was very reliable. And you can get leather, and decent stereo etc. -ES etc. Even 7 seats.

You just want to know if the oil pump bolt has been changed. There was a bbc watchdog report, because plenty of them failed as the bolt was not threadlocked. It's an hour to drop the sump, and replace the bolt. And they are £2. You can decat it, and egr bypass....
Other than that, the car is very useful, and apart from rubbish lock to lock, for reversing....and leaking sunroof, a decent car for the money. The td5 is a good mpg engine too.
Worth considering, before you get the spanners out.

Post #378622 21st Mar 2016 8:58am
lighthouse

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

I had a manual TD5 Disco 2 for a few years, was great at towing used it to tow a 2.5 tonne boat around went all over the country and up and down some big hills no problem.

If you get a TD5 have it remapped to improve the low down torque makes such a difference and you can easily de EGR those which improves things further.

Maybe a TD5 lump in the Classic.

Post #378623 21st Mar 2016 9:00am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Apparently these have excellent low end torque... Thumbs Up

Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #378634 21st Mar 2016 10:23am
lighthouse

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Wonder how much that thing weighs, pretty sure you could tow a house with one of those Rolling with laughter

Post #378641 21st Mar 2016 10:47am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 8 12345678>