Home > General > RR AB vs D4 HSE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
smitht2

United Kingdom 
RR AB vs D4 HSE

Hi,

I've a D3, and hope to move up to a RR, about 2011 MY, 4.4 TDV8, and AB model would be nice for the toys, but also VSE or Westminster catching my eye too. Looks that for about £35k, I can get a LR used car with 2yr warranty.

Then other half said "what about D4". On looking for same money you can get a D4 HSE on about 2013, with same 8 speed box, and decent spec for toys. Updated 3.0 engine sounds a marked improvement over my '56 plate 2.7 engine (even with its remap)

So, ultimately comes down to ride & practicality. Can't justify 7 seats really, but do need the overall load space - hence the choice of these 2 in any case.

My question - anyone driven both D4 and RR and have any thoughts? Yes, Yes, I know this is a FFRR forum, so will know the "answer", but I also respect the experience of those who've driven lots of other cars too.

Thanks, Toby.

Post #378653 21st Mar 2016 12:54pm
n1cktdv8

2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I too came from a D3 with a remapped 2.7 and am now in a TDV8 albeit the 3.6.

I have been toying with going for a change later this year. I also don't need 7 seats and the 8spd box is what people rave about on both forums, FFRR and D4.

I think you need to look further as for £35k you are approaching MY14/15 money if you don't mind a lower than HSE spec Discovery.

For me, despite the niggles my FFRR gives me I'll be keeping her until the 4.4 chaps all head for the L405 and the market will hopefully have a few more later L322 4.4 TDV8's

Thumbs Up Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #378655 21st Mar 2016 1:06pm
lighthouse

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

I tested the D4 before I bought my l322, its a great machine, personally not a fan of diesel engines but it did drive nice, the 4.4 diesel RR which i have also driven is far better than the D4 one.

Theres more land space in the D4 due the rear height so if thats important then D4 is better, but there is loads of space in the RR its not much difference.

Not sure not the issues with the D4 / RR Diesels i know there ar lots of EGR, DPF and Turbo issues so take that into account on either model.

The D4 has a good ride and is very smooth, does not handle as well as the RR and is not as soft over the bumps.

I also think longer term the RR will hold its money better then the D4 and the 4.4 TDV8 is one of the more popular choices and they seem to hold money better than the petrols.

Looking at history my D3 lost a lot compared to similar cars.

I suggest you drive both and see how you feel about them, they both have plenty of toys.

Good luck.

Post #378656 21st Mar 2016 1:08pm
n1cktdv8

2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I am not sure the 4.4 is much better than the 3.0 SDV6, though it's a better unit on paper granted. The torque figures are not a million miles apart and with some fettling the D4 can achieve 300bhp+ and 700Nm ish (BAS fettling, not me!!)

I'd say it's actually a much tougher call than you may think. If you don't need the +2 in the boot for seating I'd go with plan A of a 4.4 TDV8 Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #378664 21st Mar 2016 1:28pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

RichTDV8 has done exactly that, RR 4.4AB to d4 hse lux. So maybe pm him and ask.

I have both d4 and ff and in terms of outright load space there isn't much in it with seats down. Have done Le Mans in both and taken the same kit in both cars totally full both times and everything went in

The FF feels more luxurious in terms of dash finishes and switchgear and general trim levels, having driven both the 2.7 and 3.0 disco and 4.4 ff incan honestly say there is a difference. The unmapped 3.0 is plenty pokey enough for the disco, but is in no way quick. Plant your foot in the 4.4, and you are near 4.2sc levels of accelleration.

Take some joyrides in a few and see what suits. Thumbs Up There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #378669 21st Mar 2016 2:06pm
Sql

Poland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

A bit off topic buy I only just realised they now sell "DISCOVERY SPORT"?? What the hell? Another evoque/range rover sport clone. 07 3.6 TDV8 Vogue
Buckingham Blue / Sand / Piano

Post #378684 21st Mar 2016 4:17pm
wealy

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Luxor

I had some work done a few months ago and the loan car was a D4 HSE and I thought I was going to hate it, I had it over a week and fell in love with it! I did about 800 miles in it and I couldn't fault it. It was the 3.0 with the 8 speed box.

I'm toyed with the idea of getting one too, but there is something about a FF.

Post #378688 21st Mar 2016 4:36pm
A1GSS

England 

lighthouse wrote:
...The D4 has a good ride and is very smooth...

Agree

lighthouse wrote:
...The D4 ... does not handle as well as the RR ...

Disagree, the FF is harder to place on a fast winding road

lighthouse wrote:
...The D4 ...is not as soft over the bumps...

Agree.. Which contributes significantly to the way the car feels in the twisties

I had both, sold the FF and kept the D3.

You need to try both ideally over a longish drive (100s of miles) Graham

____
Gone: 10MY L320 RR Sport HSE, Ipanema Sand
Gone: 20MY Jaguar iPace HSE, Silicon Silver
Gone: 17MY RR Evoque SE Tech, Loire Blue
Gone: 08MY Discovery 3 XS, Stornoway Grey
Gone: 07MY FFRR TDV8 Vogue, Stornoway Grey

Post #378692 21st Mar 2016 4:44pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

I had a D4 HSE as a loan car a while ago. Heading west into the wind I was surprised how little response there was on acceleration, much poorer than my RR 4.4 TDV8 on the same road later in the day (same weather). The RR interior is, in my opinion, much nicer, a more luxurious and less utilitarian feel, but that is of course a matter of taste and what one uses the car for.

On the side of the D4 it is a strong and practical car and a friend tells me that one can transport bicycles standing up inside it. It may be that the D4 has fewer corrosion problems than late RRs, it has plastic covers on the wheel arches which should protect them and the tailgate (which incidentally I thought very light and hence not as easy to close as the heavier RR) might be less prone to corrosion too - you might want to look on the D4 forum about that. D4s are a little bit short of ground clearance at the back, I think they have 195mm, which is less than the RR, if that matters to you.

The advice given earlier of having longer term tests of both seems right. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #378743 21st Mar 2016 8:23pm
JAYBOY

Wales 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

I've just come out of a 2011 VSE and tried a few different cars, new sport (didn't like it). I've now got a 2015 model D4 and i think its a great car, i've been through the range over the years and for the money the Disco fits the bill. I loved my FF but started to have a few problems and a FF without a warranty is not a car to have.
If you buy a second hand D4 you should get 2 years warranty which means you can sleep at night.

Hope this helps

4.4 TDV8 is a great car though. Thumbs Up 2020 Porsche Panamera Turbo Hybrid (V FAST)
2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 V8
2018 JCW Mini Cooper
2018 Skoda VRS

Post #378762 21st Mar 2016 9:21pm
Giantlandyman

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

We bought our 2012 4.4 TDV8 AB from a dealer in December for a tiny bit more than you are looking to spend. The D4 was a distinct possibility but for us, when comparing the two (FFRR AB and HSE) the AB FF seemed such a bargain really, pound for pound compared to D4 prices.

Certainly more regal if not just as practical as well. We also considered that the new Disco is out soon so prices of D4 might fall at a greater rate whilst the 405 has been out since 2012/13 to the L322 prices 'appear' more predictable.

All LR vehicles which have a complete dealer service history and are no more than five years old come with a two year LR warranty.

You really have to drive the 4.4 to appreciate how good it is.

Post #378780 21st Mar 2016 10:13pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

CS wrote:
D4s are a little bit short of ground clearance at the back, I think they have 195mm, which is less than the RR, if that matters to you.

258/269mm front and rear:

Click image to enlarge

Think the L322 is 281mm? Not much in it anyway, and lift is available on both. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #378850 22nd Mar 2016 11:00am
smitht2

United Kingdom 

Thanks for all replies so far. Seems like a topic that has kept others thinking hard too!

Great to hear views, experiences and choices.

I'm with the "try both and see what works" advice. Thumbs Up

Post #378862 22nd Mar 2016 1:18pm
rr driver

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 V8 Santorini Black

I was given a 2015 D4 as a loan car, had it for nearly 3 weeks. Really enjoyed driving it. If i had to have a 7 seater i would get it, having said that. I am waiting to see what the new D5 is like.
The major difference, beside performance, is luxury. I have the AB and i found it to be far more luxurious than the D4. Also the RR is much more regal on the road. 2011 5.0SC Santorini Black
2009 5.0SC Santorti Black - Been stolen.
Had
2.5 DHSE P38
Alfa Romeo
BMW

Post #378917 22nd Mar 2016 6:55pm
somchie

Sweden 

I had a D4 SDV6 HSE. My RR and RRS is in a different league.

We weakest point on the D4 are the brakes, or maybe I should say the lack of them. The D4 really need larger brakes!

On the road.... Well... To be honest I would say the D4 behaves better, but having said that I must admit I drive so much faster in the RR S/C. I always thought the D4 SDV6 was a bit underpowered. Having said that, the RR 4.4 is also a slow car compared to the 5.0 s/c so I guess it depends on what you're used to and what you compare to. Range Rover SV Autobiography LWB 5.0 S/C -17
Aston Martin Rapide S -17
Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic -14

previous: Range Rover 5.0 Supercharged -10, Land Rover Defender 110 SW LXV -14, Discovery 4 HSE -11

Post #379238 24th Mar 2016 5:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>