Home > General (L405) > Six Weeks In - MY15.5 SDV8 Autobiography
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jkay

Australia 
Six Weeks In - MY15.5 SDV8 Autobiography

Hello All

Ive had the SDV8 Autobiography about 6 weeks now and I thought I'd do a short write up. Car had around 40 miles/60km on the clock when I picked her up. Will be interesting to see if the engine loosens up and feels different after a few thousand

Had it coated with Opticoat Pro as well and am happy so far with he results. I wash it myself only.

Seats - Still the most comfortable I've ever experienced in any of my cars. Winged headrests are a nice touch and a must in my opinion. So much so I find myself getting sleepy on the motorway. I haven't really used the massage seats much

Heated/Cooled Seats: Heated what? In the pleasant 23-28 degree weather these aren't required. I do however on occasion need the cooled seats which could do with being a tad cooler I think on the odd day it gets above 35 degrees.

Engine - I must admit I find it a bit noisy at idle and at low revs. However once she's up to speed I can't hear anything, and I didn't buy the car to be sat around idling the engine Smile The mountain of torque makes it very relaxing to drive, especially when I want to push on a bit. There is some lag present, which again isn't ideal I must say, but its only momentary before the mountain of torque comes kicking in! I really really want to test drive a 5.0 Supercharged, but am not sure if thats a good idea!

Fuel Consumption - I averaged a true 33 MPG (UK) the other day between fills, measured at the pump. When pushing on today that dropped to 25 but this figure was just off the trip. Not bad for a car this size and weight. I used to average 12MPG in my V8 M3.

Infotainment/SatNav - I hate the interface. I find the system slow and hard to use, and my 2006 E46 BMW Convertible I just sold put the LR system, to shame in this respect. However once the destination is in, directions are good and easy to follow. Its just getting the damn destinations in which take some ages in this car.

Surround Cameras - Handy, but don't like the way the interface works. Id like to click on a camera and have it enlarge automatically. Not have to click on it, then find the enlarge button just to make it bigger.

Park Assist - Never use it, but tested it twice. First time it worked like a dream, second time I think my alloys may have suffered had it not been for some intervention by yours truly.

Adaptive Cruise - It gets confused and Censored its brain sometimes, so best suited to the motorway or motorway type roads only. On these roads it works great! Also a must have in my opinion

General Ride/Handling - Rides and handles like a dream in my opinion. Glides and wafts along. The L405 hides its hefty weight pretty well in my opinion. When pushing on through the twisties, it doesn't rock side to side anywhere near as much as I expect a car of this weight and size to. You still know you're in a heavy car tho.

Rear Seat Entertainment - Keeps my 6 year old daughter very happy. We don't like taking the iPads out with us and this keeps her (and an occasional friend) quiet and occupied, just the way I like it sometimes.

Side Steps - Had Fixed side steps fitted. These in my opinion finish the car off in the looks dept, and allows me to actually step in and out, as opposed to sliding in and off the seat, hopefully doing my leather some favours in the process. Daughter and Missus make use of them all the time as well.

825W Meridian Sound System - All this man could ever want. No complaints. Tested a 1700W system and although great, would be wasted on me

Bottom line is I'm happy wth the waft/glide along, torquey, luxurious feeling, plus love the road presence this car has. Ive never driven anything else from the Land Rover stable so can't really compare it to an L322.

Heres hoping for relative trouble free motoring ahead (famous last words)

Now for some pictures

Picture above taken today (5th April 2016) on the coast between the Royal National Park and Wollongong (Scarborough NSW to be exact)

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  2015 SDV8 Autobiography - Black, Cirrus, 22" Style 707 Wheels

Last edited by Jkay on 5th Apr 2016 12:04pm. Edited 3 times in total

Post #380821 5th Apr 2016 10:58am
Giantlandyman

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

"Heated/Cooled Seats: Heated what? "

You know where the door is; use it! Wink Laughing

Nice right up. The car looks and sounds like it is sublime.

Post #380830 5th Apr 2016 11:35am
Jkay

Australia 

With forecasts like this who needs em Laughing

I'm not missing UK winters yet! Very Happy

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  2015 SDV8 Autobiography - Black, Cirrus, 22" Style 707 Wheels

Post #380835 5th Apr 2016 11:52am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

Great write up !!!

As for cooled seats, we need iced seats here at the moment. Stinking hot approaching 40s a lot these days. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #380836 5th Apr 2016 11:55am
Jkay

Australia 

Plus its so Humid out there in Malaysia. One thing I don't miss about Malaysia Smile

Tints there are a must in my opinion, as they are here for the summer months 2015 SDV8 Autobiography - Black, Cirrus, 22" Style 707 Wheels

Post #380838 5th Apr 2016 11:57am
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE 5.0 SC V8 Havana

Nice car - but the wrong engine and no silver side vents - WTF is wrong with you !? jkay ! Laughing Laughing Laughing All my spelling errorz are belong to me!

2023 FFRR L460
2020 Range Rover Velar

Post #380862 5th Apr 2016 3:37pm
JasM

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Good write up. Thumbs Up

Your car is pretty much identical to mine apart from the fixed side steps. 2014 SDV8 Autobiography Cool

Gone: 2012 RRS SDV6 HSE, 2007 RRS TDV6 HSE

Post #380870 5th Apr 2016 4:45pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

XXXAngelXXX wrote:
Nice car - but the wrong engine and no silver side vents - WTF is wrong with you !? jkay ! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Confused It's an almost perfect looking car with the right engine Razz Thumbs Up

Not sure about the steps though - not my thing - but glad you like them :thumbs:

The black background on the reg plate is Cool - I wish we could (legally) do that

Post #380874 5th Apr 2016 5:00pm
Jkay

Australia 

Thanks All

Ah yes I do like the side steps and appreciate not everyone will but I'm happy so far Smile

XXXAngelXXX I think you should send your 5.0 SC down under to Sydney for me to use and look after Smile . I do seriously think tho it would be a bad idea to test drive a supercharged. If I ever really feel the urge to get one I'll blame you Very Happy

Black plates are an option here. We pay a one off fee to have them and I think they suit the car well. Cheapest option gets you yellow plates, which almost no luxury cars have..... 2015 SDV8 Autobiography - Black, Cirrus, 22" Style 707 Wheels

Post #380902 5th Apr 2016 8:31pm
Jkay

Australia 

JasM wrote:
Good write up. Thumbs Up

Your car is pretty much identical to mine apart from the fixed side steps.

Thanks JasM Thumbs Up

Does that include the cirrus interior? If so, How do you find the Cirrus seats are to maintain?

Thanks 2015 SDV8 Autobiography - Black, Cirrus, 22" Style 707 Wheels

Post #380903 5th Apr 2016 8:33pm
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE 5.0 SC V8 Havana

The black plates look very good indeed ! Cool All my spelling errorz are belong to me!

2023 FFRR L460
2020 Range Rover Velar

Post #380916 5th Apr 2016 9:42pm
DrF

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Orkney Grey

I am booking a flight and shipping the L405. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #380918 5th Apr 2016 9:48pm
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Fantastic Thumbs Up

Post #381549 10th Apr 2016 2:03am
Post Reply  Back to top