Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Coolant leak
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Mcnallykev

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Barolo Black
Coolant leak

Hi all. Down in the New Forest on hols with the family and the tin tent! The long and the short of it is the low coolant warning has come on after I started when we left the national motor museum. I have checked the bottle and can't see any visible coolant.

Nearest halfords is South Hampton. Can I drive it the ten miles and get there without it dying, will breakdown cover come out if you haven't broken down? Can anyone recommend any options v close to Brockenhurst!

Cheers!

Post #381490 9th Apr 2016 7:02pm
Weejock

2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Epsom Green

Just top it up with water, ideally de-ionized water (battery top up water) or filtered rainwater but tap water will do at a pinch (it's the dissolved minerals in the water that the coolant doesn't like).
It's usually a 50:50 mix of coolant and de-ionized water, adding a bit more water won't hurt.
The low coolant sensor on some models actually relates to the specific gravity of the coolant so if you top up the expansion bottle with water it may still pop up with low coolant, just keep an eye on it until the correct amount of coolant can be added back in.

If you do then decide to top up later with coolant make sure you get an OAT fluid (Organic Acid Technology) assuming you have a 2010 model as per your details.

Post #381504 9th Apr 2016 8:19pm
Mcnallykev

Thanks weejock. I only have access to tap water at the moment as I'm on a campsite. Would I have to change all the coolant after putting the tap water in?

I will be towing the caravan back up to Scotland so it is a long way with the extra strain on the engine.

It is a 2010, also need to find where it is leaking from!!

Thanks again.

Post #381560 10th Apr 2016 8:24am
Road Stone

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

If I were you I would not go anywhere knowing there is a leak. The potential for terminal damage is too great.

I'd get the breakdown service to come out and have a look first, and see if they can pinpoint the issue, then move on from there if they find something.

If they don't then get it to the nearest indie/LR place.

Driving back to Scotland with suspected coolant loss un-attended is asking for serious grief.

Cheers

Jerry

Post #381577 10th Apr 2016 9:24am
Weejock

Adding tap water just means it's possible the minerals in it will reduce the effectiveness i.e. longevity of the OAT coolant, so instead of it needing changing every 5 years you might consider shortening it. It's worse if the tap water used comes from a hard water area. I wouldn't be overly concerned by adding tap water, I bet there's loads of people that use tap water without even thinking about, it's more important it has something rather than be low.

I would top up with tap water, make a note of roughly how much you put in then take it for short run to get some OAT coolant. You can get pre-mixed or concentrate, with concentrate just get some de-ionised water to mixed with it, about £3 from Halfords and probably would be in the battery section. Drive back to camp site and park it so you can look in the engine bay and underneath for coolant leaks, putting something on the ground underneath the engine might help in spotting any drips. Leave it until cooled down and then check the coolant level. That will give an idea of what it's losing over a short distance and gauge whether the return journey is viable or not.

Given you've driven down there from Scotland it might be only losing a small amount so topping up and checking every so often on the return might be doable but only you can decide if you want to risk it.

Post #381578 10th Apr 2016 9:27am
Mcnallykev

Topped up the coolant with de ionised water and coolant concentrate. I seem to be losing about 500ml over a couple of hours driving.

I assume It has been leaking on to the belts as I'm getting some squealing. Just now and again but only for A couple of seconds.

I'm also thinking there must be a power steering belt that is slipping now and again due to the coolant as when doing manoeuvres it seems heavy for a split second then it is fine.

Does this sound right(I obviously know it isn't right but would that tie up or are they separate problems)?

Thanks again!

Post #381759 11th Apr 2016 4:59pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

@MCnallykev

Check for a split coolant pipe at the rear of the engine where it comes put of the back of the engine and goes into the heating matrix (you will need to take off the plastic tray thingy at the back to get a good look)

Post #381769 11th Apr 2016 5:31pm
Weejock

Well it does sound like a more significant leak and if you think it's causing a belt squeak then it's likely to be front area, could be radiator, pipes or water pump.
I would get it checked out before considering any long journeys, if the water pump seizes then it won't be nice! Time for a call to your breakdown service or find a local repair shop.

Post #381771 11th Apr 2016 5:36pm
MrP

England 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Is the expansion tank still intact? I had the seam split on my last Rangie. Any tell tale stains to indicate where it's leaking? "On first name terms with my local Dealer......now."

'61 Plate 5.0SC Autobiography - in Black β€”β€”β€” Gone
'53 plate 4.4V8 Vogue Bonatti Grey inside and out. ----- Gone

Post #381784 11th Apr 2016 6:08pm
Mcnallykev

Thanks guys, I will get it booked into a garage before I travel back. Will have a look at the pipes etc tomorrow in the daylight and see if I can see anything obvious Very Happy

Post #381789 11th Apr 2016 7:31pm
Discotigger

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Have a look at the egr cooler and see if it's leaking around that area. I had a leak that turned out to be coming from the o ring that seals the egr thermostat to the cooler, was losing a lot of coolant, but turned out to be an easy fix. I had the belt squeal as well, as the leaking coolant was dripping on to the main pulleys.
Hope it's as simple as that Thumbs Up

Post #381801 11th Apr 2016 8:41pm
Mcnallykev

Thumbs Up

Post #381815 11th Apr 2016 10:13pm
Mcnallykev

Haven't had a chance to book it in yet but leak is coming from the the front end. Topped it up this morning cold and it has sat all day and lost about half a litre. Does the fact it is leaking with the engine off mean it's more likely to be a pipe or the radiatior.

Also it seems to stop at a certain level but from what I can see the tank doesn't seem to be leaking at that height.

Post #381911 12th Apr 2016 8:09pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

My 2004 car had a leak at the bottom driver side corner of the radiator. I was told this was a common problem. I topped up daily with a mix of LR spec coolant (Shell I think) and water until I could get the radiator replaced. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #381912 12th Apr 2016 8:35pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Check its not just a cracked header tank Thumbs Up There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #381917 12th Apr 2016 9:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>