Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > General Grabber AT2 / AT
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
bebechoon

France 
General Grabber AT2 / AT

I’ve been very happy with the AT2’s I put on my Fatty when I bought it. Now, after 40,000 km (25,000 miles) there was still some 5-6mm of tread depth left (10 mm when new), but as the tyres are now nearly 7 years old and showing signs of cracking (from the hot Côte d’Azur sun, I suppose), I decided they needed replacing.
After much agonising and reading up reviews here on Pirelli’s, Michelin’s and other, I decided to go for a direct replacement – the AT.
I found the overall performance of the AT2 very good. The only problem I had with them was slightly intrusive road noise (sounding like a worn wheel bearing). The AT2 had a 74dB rating; I was surprised what a difference the AT – rated at 73dB – made! Much, much quieter Thumbs Up (I struggle to hear them, radio turned off) and a good ride. And, like the AT2, the 10 mm tread depth should be good for wear.
I must say I’m impressed! So, if anyone currently on AT2 is hesitating and wondering what to replace them with, I’d say go for the AT. Reasonably priced, too …

Click image to enlarge

It's "bébéchoon", ackcherly, with accents. 'Steve' to my chums.
20 years ownership of Solihull products, ALL GONE NOW, sniff!
Current motor: Suzuki S-Cross 4WD auto, 1.4 petrol. Oh so reliable! 5 years now and no problems. Oh, all right then, a leaking shocker replaced under guarantee.
Previous:
TD6 HSE L322 Auto FF
2.5 TDi 4-door Classic
Disco II
And my 1st Rangie: in 1995, a 2-door VM 2.5 diesel Classic
Not to mention the Lada Niva before those. (I said not to mention it!)

Post #381753 11th Apr 2016 4:24pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

they look good, my old man has them on his Hilux and they have worn really well, got well into the 400000's off a set. They were noisy though, but i suppose that this is probably compounded by the relative lack of sound proofing in the toyota.

the reason that 1db makes a difference is that sound pressure is a Logarithmic scale, so as far as i know 1db increase relates roughly to 2x the sound level. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #381755 11th Apr 2016 4:33pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up I have them on mine, and it has covered 30K and they are not really showing any signs of ware. One of my customers had a set on his Isuzu Pick Up, and he had done 80K on his and they were still legal, in fact they still looked like half decent tyres Shocked

Whistle Oh and they stick to the road very well, even in the wet Very Happy Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #381818 11th Apr 2016 10:27pm
jonnyboy54321

United Kingdom 

interesting thread. I was concerned about noise hence going for the scorpions 2007 Vogue TDV8 with 255/55/20's fitted

Post #381836 12th Apr 2016 8:41am
miggit

United Kingdom 

They don't howl at you... In fact I don't notice them at all..... unlike the Cooper STT's that are on my Jeep Jeep Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #381849 12th Apr 2016 9:45am
chefkenmore

Scotland 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

I've had mine on for over a year now and they're great !
10000 miles and no show of wear! Do get a bit of noise from them but hardly notice!
I run mine at 42 all round?

2007 VOGUE SE 3.6 TDV8

Post #382031 13th Apr 2016 9:04pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

When I first got my ffrr it had Scorpions on it and the rear 2 were shot...... having just handed over an arm and a leg, there wasn't much change in the kitty for tyres. So I was forced to fit 2 tyres to start with and keep the Scorpions on the front...... I ran for 8 months like that..... and then I finally got around to changing the front tyres to match the rear AT's..... the first time it rained I was a bit wary about the level of grip I would have compared with the Scorpions..... But to be honest I didn't notice any difference Shocked

The only time that I have noticed the difference is when I'm in a field.... I don't slide everywhere now Laughing

If you go off the black stuff at all then they should be seriously considered, they wont help you get across a swamp, but they wont leave you with egg on your face if it's a little muddy Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #382042 13th Apr 2016 10:26pm
Ollie_247

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Orkney Grey

Hi All,

I need two new rear tires they seem to be about 5 years old according to the batch codes Shocked

They are currently Nexen Roadian HP 255/50/20 they seem great on road but at total Censored going across any field with a bit of mud I don't do it very often but when I do its normal to go get a car that decide to take trip off the Black stuff and into the field or going to feed a horse.

Now the question the budget this month doesn't stretch to buying 4 tires and a service.

But would I be ok to run GRABBER AT in 255/55/20 for a couple of months or is it a big NO NO for the ranger rover and its 4wheel drive system ?

Normal id go for all 4 but the front were only put on 8000 miles ago.

Post #391767 15th Jun 2016 3:39pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Whistle Well I'll get shot for saying this, but who cares Wink

When I brought my ffrr the rear tyres were shot, to get the price down and to have some control over what was put on the rims, I opted to do the tyres myself and take the discount Mr. Green Having just brought a ffrr I was skint so I only fitted 2 AT's tyres to the rear and ran with the Scorpions on the front, which had around 4-5 mm of tread, I ran this set up for nearly a year. Which in mileage terms was around 25K, with out any fuss Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #391781 15th Jun 2016 5:25pm
Ollie_247

Thank Miggit that kind of what I was going for

I'm sure jumping from 50 to 55 profile wont hurt it. The MOT Track days Test Dummy

2007 Vogue SE TDV8

Post #391839 16th Jun 2016 9:13am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Are...... you will get a problem with that Sir, sorry, I assumed that you were changing it for the same size.... I have a BMW ffrr and the wheels are 18", the tyre sizes were the same The replacement tyres were a little bigger cos they had more tread, but we are only talking a few mm's. Your proposing a 5% increase in size plus more tread, I don't think that your diffs will like you much for that, especially the central transfer box one..... which will more that likely throw it's toys of the pram and die Shocked

If you can't afford the full set of tyres, I would suggest that you look at some part worn's just to get you few months down the road and a better bank balance Thumbs Up After all if you look for tyres with less than 5mm of tread you should be able to pick up a bargain!

You can mix tyre types as long as they are the same across the axle, but you can't mix tyre sizes with a permanent 4 wheel drive system it will place too much strain on the drive train and something will give..... just be thankful that it's not a system like the Vauxhall Cavalier / Calibra, you had to keep the tyres with in 2 mm's of each other to stop drive train failures, it could get very expensive if your tracking was out Shocked Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #391850 16th Jun 2016 10:13am
Ollie_247

unfortunately not they don't make them in 50 profile so will jump up a size. The MOT Track days Test Dummy

2007 Vogue SE TDV8

Post #391906 16th Jun 2016 4:10pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Well the car will handle the size increase with out any bother, but I would recommend the use of an after market sat nav (tomtom, garmin) to check the speedo readings.... best way is to employ cruise control on a flat bit of ground and compare the dash to the sat nav.

But the bad news is you'll have to change all 5 tyres at the same time, or do 4 and throw the spare away, cos it wont work with the new size, but that's not to say that a S/H tyre can't be used for the spare... it just has to be the same size Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #391954 16th Jun 2016 11:01pm
Ollie_247

Seem after a bit of googling as I was just about to order four, This very forum showed up another size I total missed

275/45 R20 Very Happy Very Happy will apparently give the same rolling circumference as a 50 profile

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic21568.html

Will get my buddy at MOT to order me two for the rear next time we do a track day and get them fitted when he takes the van up. The MOT Track days Test Dummy

2007 Vogue SE TDV8

Post #392635 22nd Jun 2016 12:55pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #392722 23rd Jun 2016 12:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>