Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Roofrack Lights... Which are best and how to wire?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
MartSim73

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black
Roofrack Lights... Which are best and how to wire?

Hi folks,

Well... The roofrack was purchased (thank you miggit Thumbs Up ), but now my intention is to get some lights up there too. There are only two mounting points though so if four lights were to be installed, custom brackets would need to be made. Ideally I'd like four lamps up there... But for simplicity could accept just two in the first instance.

Now, what do you think? Bear in mind this is a MY11 L322.... I'm thinking that some rectangular Hella's (with covers on) could look really good and match the square-ish lenses up front.....or..... Go old school with some (two) round spots. What do people think?

Are there other options I should consider? (Please, not the light bars.... To 'Robo-Cop' for me! Rolling with laughter )
What about light type? LED, Hallogen etc?

Then the technical bit.... How do I wire this setup in? I know the electrics are delicate and this is my biggest concern... so how should I wire them in? Ideally I want them manually operated from in the cabin via a switch (where best to locate?), not just with high beams.

Any advice/ideas gratefully received. I want to get as much info first before cracking on to find its above my limited ability. I did a search on the forum for roofrack lamps and came up with nothing, so am hoping this may be of interest to a few more people!? Seems most don't like sticking roof racks on their Rangies Laughing I love that G4 look... But I want my own style along the same lines if that makes any sense Whistle Thumbs Up

Below are some partial shots of the FFRR with the rack and then the lamp mounting hole and bracket (looks to be about 7.5-8mm location hole).

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #382580 17th Apr 2016 1:32pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

a led lightbar would be the most 'up to date' setup....i reckon the only way to wire it up would be to drill a small hole in the roof , somewhere where it wont show and can be plugged up after use.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #382589 17th Apr 2016 3:15pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Agree with Stan... An LED bar is the modern thing Thumbs Up

Post #382590 17th Apr 2016 3:34pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Do have to say that roof lights are a total waste of time, all they do is shine on the bonnet and reduce your visibility...

I suggest you rig something up first to try it out because I bet you won't like it...

Lots of lads in the off road forum I'm on have roof lights because they think they look cool and make women's clothes fall off but they never use them because of glare....

If you just want them for looks then screw some on and forget about wiring them up... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #382596 17th Apr 2016 4:30pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic36432.html (If I can persuade you to buy two pairs, we'd all get the cheaper price. Whistle )

If you want real throw, you need proper lamps. Light bars with reflector facing LEDs can produce an acceptable driving beam (but aren't cheap), forward facing LEDs will spread light everywhere and not increase the field of vision.

In terms of light source, halogen gives near perfect colour rendering, and a nice warm white light that works best for the human eye. LED and HID are both poor in this respect. HID gives the best possible throw if desired, but is expensive and has a warm-up latency. LEDs are limited to driving beams (not spot) due to their larger size.

Do consider what Pete says though - roof mounting isn't perfect, but good lamps will improve the situation re glare.

Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #382605 17th Apr 2016 5:29pm
sako243

I think you need to decide what you want them for.

I've seen various LED bars on a variety of trucks and, for long distance illumination, all are pants in my opinion.

They're great for up close flood lights for slow offroading for example. However when I went off on a trip with a number of people nothing compared to the Bi-Xenons on full beam.

If you want spots then HIDs are probably the best bet (and considerably cheaper).

The only LED beams I've seen that compare (distance wise) to a set of Bit Xenons are some that my father's company Pi Logic builds for Optimusic. The LEDs aren't cheap and they're huge single die beasts with a 4" lens to focus them into a concentrated beam.

Once you decide what you want them for then that'll help narrow down your options. If its just for aesthetics then why not go for the cheapest option Razz Ed

Post #382617 17th Apr 2016 6:54pm
MartSim73

Thanks for the replies folks... Hmmm I will take heed of your experience and advice here. Wanted the lights for throwing a downward light to illuminate potholes and the like when off the road in the dark, as some ackward bumps can be missed with standard headlamps as they cast across the holes giving no idea of depth. I might do as mentioned and mock something up... Really don't need any more glare of that large hood though! Thumbs Up
Could really do with some sort of cowling too between the top of the car and the roof-rack as cruising over 55mph really starts howling. I guess adding lights will add to that too Confused Much to think about! Shocked

Post #382621 17th Apr 2016 7:13pm
sako243

As a quick fix for the howling:
1. Pop down to your local plumbing or DIY merchant
2. Find some pipe cladding (the stuff that's normally grey)
3. Find some cable ties
4. Purchase
5. Pipe cladding around front-bottom bar of rack, cable tie on

I surmised that the howling was a resonance between the bottom rung and the roof (I could feel the roof vibrating). Applying the cladding disrupts the airflow and stops this. Such a transformation.

With regards to lights - might be worth a look at X-Lites (originally designed by Simon Rafferty of X-Eng fame), I seem to remember he did quite a bit of tweaking to stop it glaring off the bonnet (admittedly mainly for Defenders). I think they're now built / sold by Foundry 4x4. Ed

Post #382624 17th Apr 2016 7:21pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Yep, the shorter shadows are the biggest advantage to roof mounting. If you get good lamps and can place them further back then the glare can be minimised. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #382625 17th Apr 2016 7:22pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

mart, have a read of this thread

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/post301388.html#301388

this member has a lightbar mounted below the grill and i think it will suit your purpose.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #382628 17th Apr 2016 7:34pm
MartSim73

Thank you sako243.... That is some useful info re the cladding. I'll look into that next week Thumbs Up I'll have a look at the lamps you mentioned too... I certainly don't want the massive round rally lamps... Was hoping to be a bit more discrete... I saw some a while back that clamped directly to a roll cage. Unfortunately the tubing on the rack is much smaller but they looked as though they were part of the rack... I liked that Very Happy
Lost For Words... I take the comment re setting them back to avoid the glare. I was wondering if I made a kind of lip/tray mounted under the lamp(s) to prevent the beam hitting the bonnet but adjusting it so that the beam is free to do what it's meant to from the end of the bonnet (if that makes any sense?) Rolling Eyes Whistle

Post #382629 17th Apr 2016 7:36pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

The principle is sound, yes. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #382630 17th Apr 2016 7:39pm
MartSim73

You're a gent Stan Thumbs Up
Thanks for the link. I'm going to have a read now... Bow down

Martin Very Happy

Post #382631 17th Apr 2016 7:45pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Don't know if he got these done, but you need one of these....

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic25684.html

Try the G4 forum.... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #382634 17th Apr 2016 8:12pm
MartSim73

Now that piece of trim looks very smart and if solving the wind noise/vibration, it just what I need! Lol thank you Haylands Thumbs Up
Got to say that G4 setup looks very good to me! They must have had special plates made to house the twin lamps either side of the rack though? I only seem to have one mounting plate either side Whistle

Post #382639 17th Apr 2016 8:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>