Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Excessive front tire wear - rear brakes not working!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Lego

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Oslo Blue
Excessive front tire wear - rear brakes not working!

I recently had to replace my front tires which were down to tread wear indicators after 10,000 miles. As they were Scorpion winters I was expecting high wear but my rear tires were like new (all fitted together in November).

On another note my 04 L322 appeared to come to a stop better than my 12 Westminster which after last years brake pipe recall is very so so when braking hard although the 04 did seem to nose dive when jumping on the brakes hard.

When changing the engine oil this weekend and refitting sump plug on the 04 I noticed a wet patch on the chassis beam halfway down the car on the passenger side, On investigation I also noticed that my brake reservoir was half full. I had to remove two plastic covers to get at the leak area and discovered one of my rear brake lines had heavy corrosion in the rubber support clip area (there are several along these brake line runs and all have some degree of corrosion when hidden under the plastic tray).

Topping up the brake reservoir and getting the wife to pump the brake pedal quickly confirmed I had a considerable leak.
Its a difficult area to work in. I did mange to insert a repair line after flaring the cut ends of the original brake pipe.
Brakes bled and a level non nose dive braking was achieved. In fact its doesn't brake as quickly and probably equals the Westminster in stopping distance. I'm am however hoping to see a more even tire wear across front to back axles again.

Three things to take home from my weekend crawling around under the 04 workhorse

Front to back axle tire wear uneven - check rear brakes playing their part (my discs didn't rust over so they must of been getting some braking pressure).
Check the brake fluid reservoir regularly especially on older L322s the reservoir is semi hidden when lifting the bonnet to check engine oil, I put my leak as developing since its MOT in late January but maybe longer as the plastic covers do allow a small reservoir of leaked brake fluid to pool before eventually escaping onto the chassis beam.
The plastic covers over the brake and fuel lines are there to give protection from thrown up debris and possibly off roading but they do allow damp grit and vegetation to find its way under the plastic covers and the rubber brake pipe grippers definitely introduced the failure point on this occasion - the covers do hide any corrosion/leaks from casual inspection or MOT checks.

The covers came off easily but the plastic fasteners all fell apart so large self tapers with rocal applied refitted the plastic screens after several road tests to check out my repair.

Costs well I was loaned the brake flaring "Halfords" kit and some pipe and fittings, apart from judicious swearing having to work in a small area up by the chassis laying on my back for a few hours and a bottle of DOT4 Brake fluid, not alot and back on the road in a day. When I inquired Saturday at a local garage I use it was looking like a 5 day wait and £150 to £250 depending on hours used. Landrover repair cost well it would have been a new front to rear brake pipe in lower quality than the copper alloy you can buy from motor factors and there would have been multiple component removal I'm sure.

Job jobbed until the next one

Paul

Post #383648 25th Apr 2016 11:05am
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

If you coat all the brake pipes with a layer of grease they tend to last for ever. Thumbs Up

Post #383650 25th Apr 2016 11:08am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Reservoir has a low fluid light, it should come on well before it's half empty, maybe yours needs looking at...

Rotten brake pipes is "normal" on the older BMW FF's Joe did an excellent write up in the WIKI on how to replace them all, and really, anyone with an older car should just change the lot and the flexis as well, funnily enough the one that is the worst to do is the front nearside, closest to the ABS pump but what a route they chose....!!!

Glad you got yours sorted.... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #383675 25th Apr 2016 12:49pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

If you unscrew the cap and lift it, the the light should come on, to test Thumbs Up

Post #383693 25th Apr 2016 2:21pm
Lego

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Oslo Blue

Thanks for the replies I'll do the reservoir float/light drop test before setting off home tonight as its V simple.
Cheers

Paul

Post #383699 25th Apr 2016 2:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1