Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Oh blimey!!! New owner - Sorry
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bus

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black
Oh blimey!!! New owner - Sorry

Hello.

I'm sorry for the questions about to be asked.

First the good news: I've bought a new car. Yay!
It's a 2003 black RR Vogue - it's perfect for my needs, being as my needs include spending a fortune of petrol and driving huge family car, when my family consists of me.

However I have a couple of questions that I hope you kind people can help me with? (That's not one of the actual questions)

At low speed, around 20-30, I get a terrible vibration as I go through the 1200-1500rpm mark, is this normal or should I just bin the whole car and hope nobody notices?

At higher speed, around 70mph I get a terrible noise coming from the windscreen, I must add here that the windscreen was replaced the day I bought the car, although the windscreen company have been back and said the fitting is fine.
So is a loud noise, that sounds like the noise your BMX made when you put a twig between the spokes, anything RR related or are the windscreen company trying to fob me off?
I suspect they are trying to fob me off, but I don't know enough to be sure.

Ok, 3 questions,

Where can I get the better BMW sat nav Dvd thingy from? I've looked on e-bay and it took me an hour to find nothing except hate and frustration.

Many thanks

Last edited by Bus on 29th Nov 2010 7:48pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #38092 22nd Nov 2010 10:50pm
joanne

United Kingdom 

Hi Bus...
As the only girl on here, I have no techincal or mechanical knowledge. However, this said. I would just turn up the radio and pretend you cant here a noise.....
What noise !
im sure that the wonderfully nice boys on here will be happy to help you.

And again welcome !
X

Post #38098 22nd Nov 2010 11:00pm
Bus

That's exactly what I've been doing.

In theory it's a perfect fix.

Post #38101 22nd Nov 2010 11:05pm
Paul J.

England 

Re: the noise problem at 70mph.

Check that the covers on the outside of the A pillars are firmly fixed. They have to be removed when fitting the replacement windscreen, and this can damage the clips. A quick and cheap fix (i.e. a few new clips needed) if that is the problem.

Paul

(Oh, and welcome to the forum)

Post #38149 22nd Nov 2010 11:55pm
Bus

Hi Paul,

I had the windscreen company come back and replace the A pillar covers. Sadly the noise is still there, although it was less noticeable this morning, but was back with full force this afternoon.

Post #38204 23rd Nov 2010 1:31am
daveo

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

hi bus, would you say the vibration is on very light throttle and around 25 to 30 mph, but if you give it more throttle from low speed you wont fill it...you want a mk4 dvd nav unit, look before you leap and post what your looking at as a few people have made expensive errors
daveo V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.
1976 Harley Davidson Iron Head Sportster

Post #38205 23rd Nov 2010 2:37am
Bus

daveo wrote:
hi bus, would you say the vibration is on very light throttle and around 25 to 30 mph, but if you give it more throttle from low speed you wont fill it...you want a mk4 dvd nav unit, look before you leap and post what your looking at as a few people have made expensive errors
daveo

Hi Daveo,

The vibration is only on very light acceleration, it's a similar feel to a manual car about to stall.

Is e-bay the only place for the MKIV units?

Post #38261 23rd Nov 2010 10:42am
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

No, you could run to a BMW dealer and ask for one. But once you get through trying to explain what vehicle you need this for (I can't ask for anything at my local BMW dealer without either having an exact part number or the exact vehicle /VIN# that I need it for - and a RR does not work Rolling Eyes ) and they agree to sell you one for your non-BMW application - warranty void of course, they'll ask you to empty your wallet. They cost around €1200 over here. In contrast, you can find good working units on eBay at about 1/3 of that.

I have a diesel - so no personal experience on the vibes but I have read of 2 not uncommon causes for low RPM vibration on a BMW engined LM (aside from a lack of engine tune) - bad injectors and bad torque converter...

As for the windshield - go back a 3rd time. I had a similar problem after my windshield was replaced and video'd the buzzing on my phone at 180kmh when it was very loud. They could not say there was no problem... Cool Turns out they had broken 2 clips on the A-pillar cover on the LH side (you can check the covers too, BTW, just see if you can move them or lift them from the windshield). 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Last edited by SteveMFr on 23rd Nov 2010 1:54pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #38328 23rd Nov 2010 1:09pm
Andpopse

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged Java Black

Why not try putting some tape on the leading edges of the A Pilliar covers. If that solves the noise then broken clips are the likley cause.
Cheers
Andy

Post #38333 23rd Nov 2010 1:26pm
Bus

SteveMFr wrote:

I have a diesel - so no personal experience on the vibes but I have read of 2 not uncommon causes for low RPM vibration on a BMW engined LM (aside from a lack of engine tune) - bad injectors and bad torque converter...

Oh God! That already sounds horrific and expensive.

I was hoping for somebody to say oh, that rumble! Don't worry about that, that's just part of the Range Rover character.

SteveMFr wrote:

As for the windshield - go back a 3rd time. I had a similar problem after my windshield was replaced and video'd the buzzing on my phone at 180kmh when it was very loud. They could not say there was no problem... Cool Turns out they had broken 2 clips on the A-pillar cover on the LH side (you can check the covers too, BTW, just see if you can move them or lift them from the windshield).

They have replaced the clips and the covers already and they are firmly stuck in place, I'll be back onto them though to get them back to have another look.

Post #38539 23rd Nov 2010 7:21pm
Bus

Like the fool I am, I forgot to mention, re the vibration at low speed, is that it comes up through the steering wheel too. Is this possibly a problem with the steering rack?

Post #38659 23rd Nov 2010 9:43pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

could be the servotronic valve which regulates the power steering fluid .. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #38682 23rd Nov 2010 10:17pm
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

On the last shape Rangie, I had a replacement windscreen and we had exactly the noise that you describe and it was the strip along the top of the windscreen. The company wasn't able to say it was perfectly fixed as it flew off at 70mph on the motorway...

Could be a poor seal.

Post #38686 23rd Nov 2010 10:26pm
Bus

The windscreen company came back today and the problem is now fixed. Hurrah!
It was the seal along the bottom of the screen which wasn't glued down. At all.

Interestingly, or perhaps not, the vibration at low speed has ceased too. Perhaps a character flaw after all.

Also, and I don't know if this should have it's own thread, it's probably been covered to death, I want to get something to make my iphone play music and calls and things - is this the BMW MKIV kit I need or is there an alternative?*

*I may have asked this question already - if so soz.

Post #40087 29th Nov 2010 7:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1