Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > 2011 4.4 TDV8 - Suspension & forward alert error
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Speedster356

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Alaska White
2011 4.4 TDV8 - Suspension & forward alert error

Hi all, I'm hoping for some advice/guidance, as I'm just confusing myself searching the Forum & Google for some help, and apologies if this has been talked about hundreds of times before.

I have a 2011 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography which has started throwing up a couple of errors. It started a couple of weeks ago, just occasionally, and now happens every time I go for a drive. The 2 errors are; Forward Alert Unavailable and Normal Ride Height Only. If I stop, turn off and restart the errors go away & suspension works fine, then a few miles down the road they come back again. Also, the cruise control is unavailable when the errors are 'active' on the dash.

I took the car to a very good local independent who plugged in their diag kit and advised it needs a new compressor, and want to charge me circa £1000 supply, fit & tax.

I have some queries I'm hoping you can help me with;
1. Do you chaps agree it's the compressor? I've seen threads suggesting a ride height sensor or wheel speed sensor issues
2. Is £1k a fair price? - it seems a bit steep to me, but recognise half of that is probably the parts
3. If I go for the DIY route (which I think I'm capable of) which compressor should I go for? I found this one on a google search; https://aerosus.co.uk/land-rover/range-rov...essor.html
4. What's the relay for? Is it to code the new compressor to the car, meaning I don't have to 'flash' anything in the ECU?

Any help, advice, greatly received, thanks.

Post #516926 30th May 2019 11:01am
Bushy30

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Galway Green

Do you know what the codes are?

£1k for compressor change is *WAY* over the top -- and yes it's a DIY job, unless you have the ability to tell the car it has a different compressor model I'd stick with the same version, so you'll need to take the cover off and get the part numbers.

I would advise a little more research before anything else Current: 2011 FFRR Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8
Previous: -
2004 FFRR Vogue 4.4 V8 with LPG
1997 P38 4.0 SE with LPG
1997 P38 4.6 Vogue with LPG

Last edited by Bushy30 on 30th May 2019 12:17pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #516931 30th May 2019 11:30am
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

The normal height only message occurs when the compressor can't get the reservoir up to pressure within the allowed time. Whilst this could be due to a weak compressor, it's more likely for a 2011 model that there is an air leak. The front air-springs are prone to failing, with slow leaks initially which leak faster as the holes extend or more holes open-up.

Does the front of the vehicle lower overnight, perhaps noticeably on 1 side only but usually both sides? Raising the vehicle to off-road height then spraying soapy water around the base of the front springs should reveal if the springs are leaking. My April 2012 build has had both front springs replaced due to a multitude of leaks in each from apparently porous rubber.

Post #516932 30th May 2019 11:46am
Speedster356

Thanks Graeme, I had this with my previous TD6 and it was noticeable due to the dropping of the front overnight. This is not happening with my TDV8, even when left overnight in off-road height, so I don't think it's a leak or failed air spring.

Post #516934 30th May 2019 12:14pm
Speedster356

Bushy30 wrote:
Do you know what the codes are?

£1k for compressor change is *WAY* over the top -- and yes it's a DIY job, unless you have the ability to tell the car it has a different compressor model I'd stick with the same version, so you'll need to take the cover offand get the part numbers.

I would advise a little more research before anything else

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I don't have the codes or a tool to read them. I will ask the indy garage if they recorded them.

I was hoping I could find out the compressor type from the VIN code, but getting the actual part number would be better so I'll take the cover off to be certain.

I've been researching this for a couple of weeks and there are many different experiences, suggestions, ideas, etc out there - I even found one with exactly the same symptoms caused by a missing bolt on one of the height sensors - so was looking for a consensus of opinions from FFRR members for guidance before taking specific action; clearly the codes will help with this.

Post #516935 30th May 2019 12:23pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

A low battery can throw up random errors. Just a thought but a common cause of gremlins.

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #516942 30th May 2019 1:03pm
Bushy30

Sorry, for clarity the 'more research' comment was to find your part number from the compressor and to get some fault codes (if possible) we'll all be able to help much more then Smile Current: 2011 FFRR Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8
1997 P38 4.0 SE with LPG

Post #516953 30th May 2019 2:21pm
Speedster356

Thanks Bushy, I'll try to get some time over the weekend to get the codes & part number and post back

Post #516955 30th May 2019 2:46pm
Speedster356

gonna_go_double_r wrote:
A low battery can throw up random errors. Just a thought but a common cause of gremlins.

I was thinking about that as well, but the battery is only about 6 months old (although, it could still be going wrong) and the errors are always the same, never anything else, which makes me think it's more sensor or compressor related. My understanding is the Forward Alert and Ride Height are on the same control module, hence both warnings when something with the suspension is not quite right.

Post #516956 30th May 2019 2:49pm
Bushy30

The problem is without the fault codes it's just guess work, and most of that will be random.

With the codes it becomes guess work, but a little more specific Rolling with laughter Current: 2011 FFRR Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8
1997 P38 4.0 SE with LPG

Post #516958 30th May 2019 2:52pm
Gsxr1250dave

England 

Where in kent are you speedster ?

Post #516976 30th May 2019 6:16pm
Tinman

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Silicon Silver

Hi, I used to get that error on mine? first, check the small wires that come from the top of the suspension struts( adaptive suspension) the error will also come from compressor overheating not reaching/maintaining pressure try these people for the compressor that's where I got mine? or try Dan on here?
https://www.rst-landrovers.co.uk

Last edited by Tinman on 31st May 2019 8:44am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #516977 30th May 2019 6:44pm
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

Forward alert is a function of the radar unit and the pcm and not directly associated with the suspension module. However forward alert will be disabled if any condition exists with other systems that could compromise the ability of forward alert to function properly, such as the suspension system not fully operational.

Post #517003 31st May 2019 4:56am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1