Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > L322 v8 M62tub44 cross reference to BMW cars.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Pepi

England 
L322 v8 M62tub44 cross reference to BMW cars.

Hi folks
Has anyone out there come up with a definitive list of BMW cars that the M62 tub44 engine block was used in, circa 2002 to 2004.
I understand that the starter position was often in a different place but the block casting had the location tabs for the L322 on the block and they just required drilling and tapping. The fixing location previously used can easily be blanked off.
Hopefully there will be a guru out there that has had to sort this problem.
It seems that when you specifie a Range Rover part the price doubles to that of a BMW.
So if I know what specific cars they were used in I can start looking for a cheap block.
Like wise other users of FF may benefit from this knowlage. Eddie the eagle watch out 👀

Post #403666 6th Sep 2016 2:40pm
Sleeper

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

I look at the BMW real oem for all my parts.
Just pretend ive got a e53 x5 or e39 5 series, 4.4i,2003,M62.
Then pop onto a BMW forum like e36coupe. post of the site sponser section listall the numbers and get prices + forum discount
Then pop over to GSF + other selling forums an check prices and part numbers.

I know that a lot of the BMW e38+ e39 guys know there stuff so pick there brains.
If you mention Range Rover though it can go a bit silent so just talk engines. Its not that they are not helpfull , i think its just bacuase it not a BMW, even though its a BMW engine.
Worth a bash
john

Post #403769 6th Sep 2016 11:27pm
Pepi

England 
The problem block

Morning All
Now looking at a different problem. All went well eventually with the rebuild and it started up first time, after I had turned it over a few times to build the oil pressure up without the FP fuse in.
Two minutes in, it suddenly started running lumpy so I shut it of and started checking.
Compressions were down severely on cy2/3. Different bank compleatly to the ones I had a problem with.
Put bore scope down. Hell what a bloody mess.
The cylinder wall has just developed what looks like errosion damage on the upper/ inside part of the bore. If you like the blind side as you look at it from the top. Can't understand it they, all looked and felt fine, no signs of scratches or grabbing. , they were clinically clean and well oiled before I spun the engine over. The thing didn't even get warm let alone hot.
Anyway damage done. The heads are back off and In am on with stripping down all the other parts that attach to the block ready to lift the lump.
Looking at my options now.
Have the block fitted with cast liners or look for a good second had block. Bit nervous about this. but cost is an issue now.
There are surely many wrote off smashed up BMW's out there with M62tub44 engines that are good. Range Rover m62 MY 2002/ 2004 are daft money.
Don't want to scrap the car if In an find a reliable cost effective solution. All the other problematic stuffs been sorted now.
All good ad Solutions and suggestions please chaps. Or if anyone can help me find a good block or point me in the direction of a realisticly priced machine shop.
Cheers Pete Eddie the eagle watch out 👀

Post #403801 7th Sep 2016 8:35am
Sleeper

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

Man thats harsh!
For BMW V8 stuff it would be worth speaking to chris at chris burton cars
http://www.chrisburtoncars.com/

They know there stuff when it comes to the V8
Not sure of there pricing but worth a bash.

I did some work for them a whie ago and in conversation we discussed the 4.4 in my RR
He knew the engine inside out and while in conversation he pointed out a common problem of a small plpe that splits due to heat...and would you know it he said "who look your is split"...lol so he sorted it out.

See how you get on..John

Post #403962 7th Sep 2016 10:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1