Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Hesitation of gear change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Larry

England 2006 Range Rover SE Td6 Java Black
Hesitation of gear change

I was sure someone had already posted something about this, but can't find it.

RR TD6 Auto

Occasionally when accelorating briskly, I get to (usually) between 35 - 40 mph (happens at other speeds too) and the car seems to have a liitle fit when changing up. It sounds and feels like it trys to change up then decides against it and rapidly changes back down and then repeats it a few times. Sound is similar to repeatedly gunning the accelorator on a manual. When I lift off the gas then put foot down again it clears.

Has anybody had similar? If so did you find out what was causing it, or is this just a poor gearbox software profile built in by LR? (is there an upgrade?)

The car is going to the dealer next week for warranty work, so I want to get as much sorted as possible while it's in.

Post #2512 22nd Jan 2009 9:47am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Before I had my TD6 chipped I always thought that the gear changes were poor and it was as if the car was constantly 'hunting' for the right gear.

once it had been chipped the whole process was much smoother. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #2524 22nd Jan 2009 1:10pm
Larry

I had thought about chipping it anyway, but I think this is a fault.

It really is like the sort of noise that Max Headroom would make when it changes (or tries to) gear. A bit like on some cars when you hit the Rev limiter, which is what I thought it was at first. But then had a think and realised that autos don't have a limiter as such.

Post #2529 22nd Jan 2009 1:55pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

I suspect it will be purely a software fault in that case and they will upload a remap to the ECU for gear changes - whatever the programme is called. more and more problems are software updates these days and therefore easier to fix. Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #2535 22nd Jan 2009 3:01pm
kin

England 2006 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Have you resolve your problems yet? Was it a software issue?

Post #2821 5th Feb 2009 6:51pm
Larry

Update on this.

Took RR in to dealer to get the FBH sorted, and asked them to have a look at the gear change issue.

When I picked it up they claimed they couldn't find a problem (although I'd got the feeling they hadn't even tried!).

They promised me that the Service manager would phone me later to tell me what they'd actually changed on the FBH as they couldn't tell me from the service form. He didn't. I have phoned 3 times and they still haven't rung me back (as I can't hear the FBH running anymore and no smoke, I cynically think they've just disconnected it!)

Unfortunatley I have been working away, so haven't had the chance to go in and have a ding. My intention was to take a technician out for a spin and show them the problem first hand. Will do next week when I'm back home.

In the meantime, if anybody else has had similar (especially with a TD6) and found the solution or the root cause, please let me know so I have a bit more ammo. I need this sorting as it's caused at least 2 very hairy overtakes recently and a series of short slip road terrors! Evil or Very Mad

Post #3436 6th Mar 2009 11:17am
Larry

Update - Well sort of!

3 visits to dealer and they still can't find the problem or indeed replicate it. I am getting a little narked by this now, and it seemed to clear up, only to return the other day. I have however, narrowed down the symptoms and also (probably) why LR couldn't replicate the fault. It only happens on wet days!

So now I don't know if it's electrical or otherwise, but waiting for a rainy day to take it to the dealer and take a tech out to show them (shouldn't have to wait long!).

Does anyone know where the gearbox breather(s) terminate (engine bay)?

Anybody got any clues or had the same?

Post #6097 9th Jun 2009 8:38pm
Larry

Further update:

RR in dealer (again!). They now reckon that the fault may be the fuel pump - although I don't see the connection with wet weather! Luckily it's covered by warranty if that's the fault.

However, apparently the fault finding for this involves changing the fuel filter first to eliminate that, which apparently I have to pay for! Crying or Very sad (and at over a ton, it ain't cheap).

Anyone know anything about warranties? My logic says that if the fault turns out to be the fuel pump, but they had to replace the filter to get to that decision, the filter should be covered by the warranty too. If it's the filter and that isn't covered by warranty, then fair enough, I don't mind paying.

A discount was mentioned on the filter, but I reckon it should be 100%! Smile

Post #6258 24th Jun 2009 5:08pm
RRVSE

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Corris Grey

Just do what I did with my other car a few years ago. Got a spluttering engine, main dealer replaced 4 sensors before getting to the one causing the actual problem. I refused to pay for the 3 good ones they had changed and insisted they put the 3 old sensors back on. They'd already junked them and so I got them knocked off my bill and they left then new ones on of course. I stated that I went to the main dealer and paid their high prices to have experts with the right diagnostic kit work on my car and if I had wanted a 'trial and error' approach, I would have gone to a back street garage and paid loads less money for the priviledge!! It seemed to work. Steve

Main car : FFRR L405 Vogue SDV8
Other car : Vauxhall Lotus Carlton
Past cars : FFRR L322 Vogue TD6 SE (Sept 2006 MY07) ; LandCruiser SWB ; 4-Runner ; Supras; XJS V12 LeMans

Post #6270 25th Jun 2009 11:27pm
Larry

Sounds like good advice. That was my thoughts exactly. I could have had a guess and started changing out components randomly until I sorted the problem myself.

Expertese is what you want to pay for. In reality you pay for someone to plug in Testbook and follow exactly what it says on the screen (which of course has been optimised to put money in the dealers pocket and extract it from yours).

Having seen the Vauxhall/Opel version and the notes on what to tell the customer and what not to tell the customer, I was shocked but not surprised. No doubt LR's is similar, and of course they have to follow the guidance like robots.

As soon as it's out of warranty, the dealer won't be seeing my car again. The don't deserve the money.

Anyway, got car back. Apparently it was fuel filter, not pump. We'll see! The changes seem much much smoother now, but I wonder if there been a sneeky software update done or a simple adjustment made that's done that.

Should the fuel filter have been changed on the service?

Post #6271 26th Jun 2009 9:26am
RRVSE

Ah well at least it might just be the filter. You never know. From a warranty perspective, I was told by the local MOT garage owner that any garage can now do warranty work as long as they are VAT registered. Not sure how accurate this is and I would guess they would have a harder time submitting claims than a LR main dealer, but I think it was introduced to try to limit the monopoly main dealers had on warrantied cars. Even so, I'll most likely stick to the main dealer until it expires anyway for peace of mind alone, but after that, I've got 2 great mechanical engineers who already work on my other car and have not let me down yet so for mechanicals in particular, Im sorted. As for the car electricals!!! I'll start revising now!! Steve

Past cars : FFRR L322 Vogue TD6 SE (Sept 2006 MY07) ; LandCruiser SWB ; 4-Runner ; Supras; XJS V12 LeMans

Post #6276 26th Jun 2009 10:46pm
Larry

I'd heard that if you go to an independent for warranty work they have to prove they have the correct competence, training and documentation. As I imagine that this would involve being trained by LR and having Testbook etc. it still effectively means the dealers are in a monopoly position.

Anyway, further update on the fault. Whatever they did, it's worked. Sport Mode doesn't seem to be much different from normal now (not that I used it that much anyway), but average fuel consumption is up from 21-22 to 27.9 mpg which is bloody good news.

Post #6306 1st Jul 2009 9:17am
RRVSE

You're most likely right about the warranty situation Larry, I bet they do have to show they are competent to work on the cars etc etc. On another point, you're mpg is good now though. Like you, no matter how I drive, I seem to end up around 21.2 - 21.7 mpg consistently , the best I ever got was 27mpg when I did a 355 mile run down to Falmouth in Cornwall. It was around 70mph ish!! for most of the way aswell.
I might have to get them to check my car out a bit more when it has its 30K service next Wednesday.
Cheers,
Steve Steve

Post #6311 1st Jul 2009 10:52pm
Larry

Just realised that MPG was with the Air con on as well!

Wasn't as good today (24.5mpg), but I'm putting that down to the idiot behind the wheel (ie. Me!)

Post #6315 2nd Jul 2009 11:36am
RRUK
Site Supporter

You can change the fuel filter yourself, get one from Paddock Motor Spares for a few quid and it takes all of about 5 minutes. See my Sticky on doing an oil and filter service in the Maintenance Section as it's part of that.

I know I am coming at this a few days late but just thought I'd pipe up.

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic746.html

Fuel Filter link £10.95

http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/RANGE_ROVE...-_TD6.html Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

Post #6324 2nd Jul 2009 4:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>