Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Is 100k to 120k too much on a 2011 4.4tdv8?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
abs66

United Kingdom 
Is 100k to 120k too much on a 2011 4.4tdv8?

Hi all,

I'm Pete. Long time reader etc etc you know the patter.

I'm looking at getting at getting another RR after previously having my dads old classic and p38 cast offs because I just can't shift that bug....once bitten etc.

I have been reading to the point of passing out at the keyboard and all the text is turning into a knitting pattern!
I've picked up on loads of good advice, what a brilliant site and amussing too Smile

I slowly whittled my choice down to a TDV8 and then down further to the 4.4 TDV8.
Looking at prices on auto trader though, if I stretch my search too much further I may find that SWMBO will be applying a wake up call via a swift kick to the nether regions!

Is 100k to 120k too much on a 2011 car? If not what should I be looking to definitely check before buying?

All advice/micky takes always much appreciated Smile

Thanks muchly.

Post #398763 2nd Aug 2016 12:30am
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

Nope .
Use is much better than disuse or misuse if you see what I meen . They like to be used and not left standing around , you buy on condition and regular servicing and anyway a 4.4 TDV8 is barely run in at that . There is a wonderfully irrational fear amongst some people that 100k is end of a cars usable life and you will never sell it etc , it's just a number.There will be plenty of good advise from others to follow on what to look for but don't be put off necessarily by milage . 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #398769 2nd Aug 2016 2:12am
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Being rather more cautious I would say the same except that I would want a full dealer service history, I would inspect the warrant history (most dealers can get this) and I would want the LR approved used 2 year warranty on it, which is a problem. That only applies to vehicles up to 5 years old when sold so it would need to be a late 2011. Also I think they can't have over 100k on them when sold.

As Axle points out, that's not a lot for the engine. What you have to consider is all the other stuff. So far the ZF 8 speed box has proven to be an all round longer lasting unit that the predecessor but many of the suspension components are identical. Ball joints wear, shockers start weakening etc. You need to look at the whole package very carefully. As an example. my 2011 Supercharged with 60k on it has had 2 lower front arms, both rear shocks, an alternator and even the main infotainment screen replaced, all under LR approved used warranty.

A previous FFRR I owned was bought at 60k miles, from a LR dealer. Looked nice enough but it turned out to have been an Estate Manager's car so those 60k miles were pretty much all done in fields. It was a very problematic car until the dealer bought it back and I had a different car from them.

Some you win, some you lose but when you lose with a FFRR it can be seriously expensive. Choose carefully and do your homework. Thumbs Up

Post #398781 2nd Aug 2016 8:08am
Flashman

England 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

My 2004 Td6 has just hit 165k miles and still smooth as nut. Regular oil changes are a must. Had to replace the gearbox at 135k, but apart from normal service items, suspension parts & bushes it just seems to go on and on and on. Tom

Current Drive
2011 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography - Santorini Black - Ivory Leather

Previous Drives
2004 Model Vogue Td6 (Touchscreen) - Java Black - Parchment Leather
1994 RR Classic 3.9 V8 Soft dash - Niagara Grey - Grey Leather
1972 Series III SWB Safari - Green (Hand Painted) - Black Plastic

Post #398803 2nd Aug 2016 10:35am
abs66

United Kingdom 

Thanks for all the advice, very very much appreciated. I will continue my search with some new criteria ie, main full service history.

If any one knows of any reasonable dealer be it main dealer or independant please give me a shout as I'm willing to travel for the right car but want to avoid where the dealer blatantly lied about the condition of a vehicle.

I think I will concentrate on VSE or AB for time being as I do like some of the bells and whistles (sad I know!).

I've still not completely ruled out the petrol cars but they don't seem to be any cheaper than the oil burners and the torque of the 4.4 TDV8 will be useful next year so.....

Thank you for taking the time to reply its really helpful. I will keep plugging away at it and hopefully something will pop up.

I'm still keen to hear of other things I should be looking for when buying (Yes I have read the buyers guide) as your personal experiences will I expect be very enlightening.

Cheers
Pete

Post #398844 2nd Aug 2016 4:39pm
archermav

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Good luck mate. I've started a tentative search, and being a convert to buying a looked after high mileage car I'm in the same price bracket as yourself. It would be a fairly straight forwards search if I were after a black or silver one.

I bought my 3.6 TDV8 with just over 140,000 miles on after much teeth gnashing about the miles. It is but a number.

Post #398875 2nd Aug 2016 6:45pm
abs66

United Kingdom 

I know what you mean about the black and silver ones being plentiful, but luckily I like silver and swmbo like black and silver so should be ok on that score. I'm kind of partial to the red, firenze I think its called but not many of those kicking about.

I had a sudden thought about the AB model and I've not been able to track down an answer yet via the tinterweb, ie do the electrically powered rear seat actually fold flat (flatish) for load lugging? Can any one enlighten me on that score please? The answer may well be a deal breaker for the AB as I do need that facility on occasion.

I appear to have lost all my free time to reading this forum and thoroughly enjoyable it is too, definitly one of the better sites I've seen.

The search goes on albeit with a shortened timescale due to swmbo informing me we are going on holiday a week Saturday so I need to get my skates on.

Cheers
Pete

Post #398915 2nd Aug 2016 11:00pm
Rob99

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

abs66 wrote:
I had a sudden thought about the AB model and I've not been able to track down an answer yet via the tinterweb, ie do the electrically powered rear seat actually fold flat (flatish) for load lugging? Can any one enlighten me on that score please? The answer may well be a deal breaker for the AB as I do need that facility on occasion.

I had the same question and was advised on here that they fold down as normal.

Good luck with the search. 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Gone, but not forgotten

Post #398919 2nd Aug 2016 11:18pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

If you don't do many miles, buy the 5.0SC far more reliable and cheaper to fix if it does go wrong...

Oh and great fun to drive... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #398927 2nd Aug 2016 11:31pm
abs66

United Kingdom 

Thanks Rob, that is a relief to hear.

Damn it Haylands now I'm conflicted again lol Confused ! Are the 4.4 TDV8's THAT unreliable?!

If I went for a 5.0 SC what years from would you suggest for reliability etc.? I kind of wanted the dab radio and TV thing!

Post #398930 2nd Aug 2016 11:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1